Lithium for Depression - Would Really Appreciate Your Views

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have been severely depressed for just over 8 months (first time in my life). My current drug regime is 300mg Venlafaxine, 30mg Mirtazapine and 100mg Quetiapine.  I have had a very limited response to these drugs and am due back to see my psychiatrist week after next.

At my last appointment the psychiatrist said that our next option would be Lithium.  I am not bi-polar.  I feel rather frightened by this but at the same time, am so desperate to feel better, I'm almost willing to try anything.  

Does anyone one have any views on Lithium? Thank you in advance

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I just read that Lithium is also used for major depression. I used to take lithium for bipolar but just recently stopped it. After a couple of years on it, I began getting nauseous after taking it. I also started getting this bloating, very uncomfortable feeling. The third reason I got off of it was the weight gain. I actually dealt with the weight gain because it was working but i was not thrilled about the gained weight. Once I experienced the other symptoms, I decided it was time to switch. However, some people take it and have no issues with it. It works perfectly for some so my advise is to try it with an open mind and give it a couple of weeks. It worked wonders for me and got me stable and now I can experiment with other meds with less side effects for me. It's trial and error with these meds so keep your head up! Wish you well soon!
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I'm so desperate for something to work x
  • Posted

Hi, I took lithium for quite some time, I have a diagnosis of affective schizophrenia - although I've always seen it more as depression + psychosis. I have been on

off all drugs for nearly 2 years as I felt like a deflated balloon - subdued, flat, totally uninterested and functioning on hazy autopilot mode. 

Lithium will almost definitely lengthen the amount of time between mania and depression, but seeing as you're not bipolar, I'd expect the most it could do would flatten your mood and possibly lengthen the amount of time between episodes in order to attempt to allow you to regain some degree of functionality. I wouldn't say that lithium expressly helps depression, it only makes you less aware of your own feelings (which in some cases can be beneficial). There is also some evidence that it can control impulsivity, irritability and aggression, which I suppose logically follows it's claim to being a mood stabiliser. Some people swear by it - but I myself found the flatness caused too much of a change as I am a naturally spontaneous and sometimes exuberant and lively person. If you feel you have a need to retain any of your personality, I would not accept lithium. 

I do feel for you as I am only 22 and have been stuck on the mental illness carousel since I was 13. My most helpful tactics now are using nicotine patches (The stimulation of my central nervous system improves concentration, attention, and mood/coping threshold for me), exercise, and mental stimulation (reading, building things). Having support networks and close friends to see is also vitally important to me but of course in the midst of severe depression it seems impossible to achieve the basics in life. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Alex, thanks very much for your response.  I'm really sorry to hear how much you've been through, and since such a young age, it sounds terrible.

I really wouldn't want the flatness, I already feel that the drugs are having an impact on my personality.

I've not heard of the nicotine patches approach before, how did you know to try them?

• Posted

Yes, it's been a nightmare, but I'm happy to help anyone who is looking for advice about their mental health - I know how horrible and frustrating it can be and I really sympathise.

I discovered the benefit of nicotine patches by accident. I took up smoking heavily in hospital and was worried it was making my anxiety worse so decided to try the patches. Wasn't optimistic at first and the first patch I tried made me throw up. I did get used to i as I was determined to give up the cigarettes and now I don't feel nauseous with them. I've found they really improve my concentration and balance out that "heavy" feeling you get in your head when you're depressed. So I'm more motivated, can concentrate better, and don't ruminate as much. It has improved my coping threshold. There are several studies I've read online about the benefit of nicotine patches in refractory depression. 

• Posted

I'm no doctor but just thinking about your drug regime, it's very sedating. My own opinion is that fatigue worsens depression. Do you have an agitated kind of depression or are is it a flat/no energy/no pleasure or interest kind of depression? As I have a long term problem with anhedonia (inability to feel pleasure) - the only thing that has helped are medicines and tactics that are stimulating. My hypothesis is that many people who are depressed have a "lazy" brain. That doesn't mean that the person is lazy by the way, or that depression is just laziness. 

I tried all sorts of sedating drugs including 6 different types of antipsychotics and they all made the depression worse. I also experimented with codeine and benzodiazepines - they also made my depression worse.. Not really a surprise seeing as they produce similar neurological effects to alcohol. 

• Posted

Hi Alex, thanks again, it's very insightful.  I've often wondered about the sedation side of the medication that I'm on.

I hope you don't mind but I have sent you a message, would really appreciate your views.  Thank you 

• Posted

Hi Aedii, I came off the antipsychotic rispiridone and still feel flat has been 3 months. Don't enjoy my music etc like I used too. Am on lithium and citalopram still, found the anti psychotic made me like a zombie. Am back at work and everyday hope my mono will come back.
  • Posted

Hi very late response

I was just reading. I have been on all of the meds you list (I was treatment resistant for a decade). Lithium and Quetiapine are in my opinion useless for depression. 

I finally got out with Vyvanse (Lisdexamphetamine, ADHD stimulant for depression, 70 mg/day), Pramipexole (3 mg/day) and Imipramine (150mg/day). For rapid response, we are using Ketamine treatments quite a bit these days, in the US.

What is wrong with the system? Antipsychotics and mood stabilizers!

• Posted

Hi very late response

I was just reading. I have been on all of the meds you list (I was treatment resistant for a decade). Lithium and Quetiapine are in my opinion useless for depression. 

I finally got out with Vyvanse (Lisdexamphetamine, ADHD stimulant for depression, 70 mg/day), Pramipexole (3 mg/day) and Imipramine (150mg/day). For rapid response, we are using Ketamine treatments quite a bit these days, in the US.

What is wrong with the system? Antipsychotics and mood stabilizers! 0  Report this

• Posted

Could you tell your doctor that you have heard too many horror stories about Lithium so is there anything else that he/she could prescribe?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.