Menopausal Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 99 users are following.

Any ladies with frozen shoulder who are peri menopausal/menopausal and not on HRT should have a serious chat with a (preferably female) GP.

I suffered for ages (two male GP's dismissed the idea of it being hormonal) before being diagnosed with menopausal adhesive capsulitis by a Nurse Practitioner who researched the subject for her thesis. This is also sometimes known as menopausal tendonitis/arthritis. After a month of being on conjugated estrogen (Prempak C) it is like someone has 'oiled' my shoulder. I felt like I had completely seized up and my bicep and shoulder muscle were like concrete. I am now able to do gentle exercises to free the adhesion, and can now lift my arm (impossible for months) to wash and dry my hair/shave under arms etc. Estrogen is the WD40 of the body, and without it, in some women the soft connective tissue goes hard and brittle. Not all women suffer from joint/connective tissue problems in menopause,. but interesting it is usually the ladies who were a bit smug, because they got got to 50/55 ish with no real symptoms or hot flushes - then bam, being hit like a ton of bricks with frozen shoulder. I also had stiffness and pain in the other shoulder, other large joints, elbows and fingers. Mornings were terrible, it could take up to ten minutes to actually get OUT of bed, and sleep? Forget it, being woken with shoulder pain every half an hour.

HRT is not for everyone, but AC was ruining my life. Given that the prognosis for recovery can be up to seven years ...I decided the risk was worth it.

i would never EVER have thought that simple 'hormones' could cause so much pain and change me from being a fairly fit 50 year old into a crippled 90 year old.

Google menopausal frozen shoulder/menopausal tendonitis/arthritis and go and see your GP ladies!!

14 likes, 270 replies

270 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply Sharon,

I appreciate your note and the additional tips ... I completely understand the "bear with a sore head", I've seen that in the mirror a few times myself, wink

Valerie

• Posted

Valerie, hello smile Sorry to welcome you to the FS PAIN club! I am SO glad this thread has been of use to you. I remember the feeling of utter despair and fright when my FS started. I too had never heard of frozen shoulder, the pain was unbearable right from the start and my GP would not take me seriously. I thought I had bone cancer or something terribly wrong, and the worry was almost as bad as the pain which just got progressively worse. I was never diagnosed - I had to work it out myself, mostly from scouring the internet for hours and then telling my GP that I thought I had frozen shoulder due to hormonal changes. It is so well known in Japan, where hot flushes are virtually unheard of and never reported, but lots of women suffer what they call 'fifties shoulder'.

Once FS has started - HRT will NOT get rid of it, or speed up the process. FS is caused by the changes in the connective tissue, so once it has set in you will have it for the duration - even if you were to start on HRT.It IS a self limiting condition, and I promise you the pain WILL go...even though at the moment you feel like you will have it for life. Unfortunately, it is not like you can rub in an HRT or estrogen cream and get 'relief' or cure it - it doesn't work like that.

Perhaps however HRT can help to normalise your hormonal levels and stop it happening in the other shoulder (god forbid) I also found HRT helped with my other severe aches and pains in the back and hips - which is basically the same thing, lack of estrogen affecting the connective tissues. Thank god there is no such think as frozen hip...I think I would have topped myself!! The shoulder has a particularly complicated set of muscles and tendons, which, I have read, is the reason why this condition is so painful when the tendons round the capsule adhere to the bone.

From what I have read, HRT in the form of creams, patches etc is a much better way to take it as it bypasses the liver. I was not happy on synthetic hormones, in the pill form I was on. I am coping OK at the moment without HRT, but am only 51 and probably have a long way to go. I tried HRT, as I have mentioned in this thread and it was brilliant, but the side effects of migraines and high blood pressure were too much of a worry. I was just unlucky.I felt so much better that at least I know I was on the right track and my problems were hormone related. However, if I ever get the physical pain of menopause back..or any other symptoms I cannot cope with I am going right back on it - high blood pressure or not. This time I will do the estradiol patch and uterogestan progesterone cream which is supposed to be better tolerated.

Have a look at the UK website, Menopause Matters (just google it, not allowed to link) there is a lady there called 'Hurdity' who is very clued up on types of HRT and you will get some great advice - as well as seeing lots of posts from other women with FS and sore shoulders!!

best of luck to you x

• Posted

Hi Ladies,

Well my very young male Dr looked at me like I had three heads when I suggested the HRT might be in order for me because of the FS. I am in the middle of menopause with sudden hot flushes and no period since November. I've had two frozen shoulders. My second is past the painful stage now but is still frozen and I can't shave my pit quite yet. It sort of gets half done which is better than nada haha! He basically thought I was nuts to think my FS was due to menopause. He said it's just in the list of a long line of "reasons" for FS and is inconclusive. The hot flashes don't bother me much as they last for a few minutes and then I am fine. I have certainly heard a number of women have it far worse. I am frustrated about the no period as I was always on the dot predictable and now I don't know if they will return or that is it. I cannot get an answer if it is possible to get a third FS in the same shoulder. Does anyone know?? If it's possible I will demand HRT 'cause I want my bodies WD40 and prevent FS again. My 1st one , like most of you, took me by surprise and I thought I had something serious. I was really worried and kept telling myself the pain would go away. As a result I never went to the DR until 3 months had passed and it progressed worse and worse. My second I was prepared and it is already on the mend and pain free unless I do something stupid

• Posted

MJ....according to my research on a lot of websites, FS is a 'one off', which never re occurs in the same shoulder. As you have had it twice, YOU are testimony to that being a crock of zippedy doo-dah.

Your young male GP is, in my opinion typical of the medical profession when it comes to menopause. Just because they have not heard of it, it cannot exist, and the most you are sufffering from is 'google-itis' ! It makes me so angry. We know our own bodies!!

If I were you, I would complain about something else (sweats, atrophy,...anything) in order to just get on HRT. If only for five years to get you through the worst of it - it sounds like you are like me, one of the (not sure of statistics) women who suffer from severe estrogen changes and tendon deterioration. Life is justtoo short to spend a good deal of it in pain, with stubbly arm pits.

smile

• Posted

.line four above should read ... 'when it comes to menopause...AND FS, or tendonitis being connected' !! Hopefully, they have all heard of menopause!! LOL
  • Posted

Hi Lesley998

oh you miss-understood me. I did not have the FS in the same shoulder twice. I had first severely in the right and then not so severely in the left (hesitate saying less severe as I was just more prepared this time). I am just worried if it is possible to get it again. I REALLY cannot handle this happening over and over again.

MJ

• Posted

Ah, ok, sorry! I thought you had it in the same shoulder.

Most people/sources I have read think it is unusual, if not impossible to have in in the *same* shoulder twice. Having said that, if you have a look on the 'adhesive capsulitis' thread on this site, you will find a bloke called Gerry The Neck..I *think* he has reported having had it more than twice.,,but would have to check.

I have had it in both, albeit not so severe as you say - I agree. The thought of having it again....sad

• Posted

I can really relate to what has been said about the link between menopause, hormones and estrogen being like the 'WD40' of the body. I developed Frozen Shoulder literally within a month of my very last period and interestingly enough, I too have never suffered from hot flushes.

I had it in the right side and then developed it on the left. I was 52 then and up until that point I was very healthy and fit - I ran, practiced yoga and generally felt quite well and even young for my age. It took me about 1 year-18 months before I had 'got over' FS, but during that time and since I have felt as though my whole body has become so much stiffer and 'drier'. I'm now 54 - I still get what I can 'after pains' in both shoulders (I feel convinced that FS is coming back but it never develops into anything). My joints - in particular my back and neck - often feel stiff and even my posture seems to have changed. My skin is also very, very, very dry and all in all I feel as though I have aged suddenly since going through the menopause. I would rather not take HRT but if anyone could recommend any herbal alternatives I would certainly oonsider it!

• Posted

Hi Jillgrace, your post is many years ago and I wonder how you are doing?  I hope that your FS is a distant memory and you are back to your young self and doing your yoga (something I miss desperately!)

Did you ever take any HRT?  I have been taking a cream called Estro-Life and one called Progesto-Life from a company called Smoky Mountain Naturals in Tennessee.  You can google it as I can't post a link here.

I had been pretty sporadic at taking it for years, but I have recently been taking it exactly as recommended as I have two frozen shoulders!  The left is 11 months into it so it is much less painful and seems to be thawing, the right is only two months in and it is in the so very painful freezing stage.  Sucks to have both at once!

Please let me know how everything turned out for you and how you are doing now.  Thanks!

• Posted

Jill, I identify with everything you say. (I am sure there are two groups in menopause... the 'hot flushers' and the 'ache-ers!' I am definitely in the ache and pains group.

I know what you mean about the posture. In fact, I am definitely developing a more rounded area at the base of my neck. I was always quite proud of my long neck, straight back and broad shoulders - I used to swim a lot . As I age I seem to be getting much more rounded posture, I look just like my mother!! She developed a little bit of a dowagers hump - but she is 87. Didn't think I would start getting the same at only 51.

Hate getting old.

• Posted

Dear gang,

I have been reading all your posts and it has helped me alot just knowing that I am not just a crack case telling everyone I can't move or work. The doctors here in the U.S. just want to talk drugs or surgeries and it's taken since December to put 2 and 2 together with your help. I tried to do physical therapy twice and it made my shoulder 10 times worse !!! I changed my treatment plan myself deciding to just treat my pain and try to get some comfort. I have taken neurontin, vicodin or ibuprofen in rotating regimes depending on my symptoms. I use topical creams and patches too. In order to work sometimes I have had to roll up an ice pack in my scarf and wear it around my neck at work. I told the doctors to stop forcing my shoulder to do things it's not going to do now. It's been a miserable journey and I have had to totally re-adjust my life.

I go to massage therapy every week and I have just started to swim in the warm pool (actually I would probably drown if I had to tread water very long, haha) I have been researching my frozen shoulder since last December and tracking the symptoms. The pain is cyclic and revolves around my menstrual cycle. Thank God my NP did some research as you all suggested and she is supportive. However, I am not starting HRT until I go see the Naturopathic doctor on 4/15 to see if there is an alternative to HRT. I do know there are alot of foods with natural plant estrogens I should pay attention to and also taking max doses of fish oil is good.. Will keep you posted after 4/15. Gratitude to all of you out there. Take care of yourselves, gather all the research you can.

Sherri

• Posted

Sherri..thanks for sharing. Take heart. We have all been where you are and some of us are out the other side (as far as the pain of frozen shoulder goes.) My nightmare started last May, I was almost disabled with my shoulder, and here I am the following April with almost no pain (still the odd ache in the shoulder and bicep) and nearly normal range of movement. If I hold both arms up straight and point toward the ceiling my bad arm is only slightly lower than the other. And - deep joy - I can now put my arm behind my back!! Considering I could only move my arm a couple of centimetres in any direction just before Christmas, this is wonderful. I do not think the HRT cured me, I think it would all have resolved naturally, although the HRT did help my other menopausal symptoms and aches and stiffness in other areas.

Keep us posted, keep your chin up - it WILL get better x

• Posted

Lesley - thank you for sharing. I am sure that there is a link between menopause and frozen shoulder and general stiffness - I know that men get this too and it is generally part of 'getting older' but speaking from experience I would say that it came on very suddenly and I went from quite a fit, flexible person to sometimes feeling 90! I don't want to turn to HRT - I try to eat healthily and am trying to make sure I get enough omega 3, 6 & 9 to keep myself 'oiled'. I also try and drink plenty of water so that I don't get dehydrated (I'm sure I'm worse when I'm dehydrated). I also try and do a bit of gentle yoga and stretching which I find invaluable for keeping my body from seizing up!! I also definitely seem to be worse when I don't 'move about' and if I sit around a lot - it's therefore important to keep active. I can certainly verify that old saying - if you don't use it, you lose it!! x
  • Posted

I have frozen shoulder in both shoulders and have had it for nearly a year it's very painful and frustrating, I am 48 and I didn't have a period last month am I going through the menopause, I don't have hot flushes but I do have sleep problems and very short fuse now and horrendous discharge down below. All of which could be associated with the menopause. I am also having memory problems now and again where I will think of something and next minute I've forgotten what it was and as much as I try and remember the more I can't think of anything.
  • Posted

Hi Karen

I completely get everything you are saying. Both shoulders well that's crap. If feel for you.

The thing is, I've tried everything when sleeping. On my back is best, but the tendon damage in the top of

my arm makes my shoulder blade stick out. Ache puncture, ask your doc to refer you to physio who advise

it. Our physio dept in West Cornwall are the best. I've talked to my poor brother in law (who's younger than

me) and he has FS, he said his doc and hosptial are rubbish. They won't do anything and he lives in Tunbridge Wells.

Medication: Take everything. My physio said get pain management in place cos you need it with all

the exercises you have to do. HRT as saved me. Zapin helps at night time.

My family laugh and become used to me forgetting things all the time. It's not live threatening so I just laugh about it. Discharged, I've not noticed anything.

Hope this helps

cheers

Sharon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.