Menopausal Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 99 users are following.

Any ladies with frozen shoulder who are peri menopausal/menopausal and not on HRT should have a serious chat with a (preferably female) GP.

I suffered for ages (two male GP's dismissed the idea of it being hormonal) before being diagnosed with menopausal adhesive capsulitis by a Nurse Practitioner who researched the subject for her thesis. This is also sometimes known as menopausal tendonitis/arthritis. After a month of being on conjugated estrogen (Prempak C) it is like someone has 'oiled' my shoulder. I felt like I had completely seized up and my bicep and shoulder muscle were like concrete. I am now able to do gentle exercises to free the adhesion, and can now lift my arm (impossible for months) to wash and dry my hair/shave under arms etc. Estrogen is the WD40 of the body, and without it, in some women the soft connective tissue goes hard and brittle. Not all women suffer from joint/connective tissue problems in menopause,. but interesting it is usually the ladies who were a bit smug, because they got got to 50/55 ish with no real symptoms or hot flushes - then bam, being hit like a ton of bricks with frozen shoulder. I also had stiffness and pain in the other shoulder, other large joints, elbows and fingers. Mornings were terrible, it could take up to ten minutes to actually get OUT of bed, and sleep? Forget it, being woken with shoulder pain every half an hour.

HRT is not for everyone, but AC was ruining my life. Given that the prognosis for recovery can be up to seven years ...I decided the risk was worth it.

i would never EVER have thought that simple 'hormones' could cause so much pain and change me from being a fairly fit 50 year old into a crippled 90 year old.

Google menopausal frozen shoulder/menopausal tendonitis/arthritis and go and see your GP ladies!!

14 likes, 270 replies

270 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi MJT.

Well, since I last posted - my other shoulder is now stiffening up and I know I have two frozen shoulders. The movement is not as limited as in my left arm (my dominant shoulder) but the pain is just as bad. The other day I slipped on ice, and automatically my arms went out to try to balance..the pain was so bad I had to sit down on the kerb for a few moments till it passed as I thought I was going to be sick.

So, I now have about three inches of movement in the left arm, and not much more on the right. If it carries on, I seriously wont be able to reach back to wipe my own bum!!Sorry to be so rude, but anyone with this condition will know how restrictive your arm movements are. I can't tie an apron, pull up trousers, wash under either arm (without a sponge tied to a stick) I cant hang up washing, dry my hair or even lift my left arm high enough to put on my eye makeup. If i get an itchy back it is a disaster until I can either find a door frame to rub against like Baloo the bear, or my husband's hand to scratch it! I bought a back scratcher the other day in a joke shop - it is bliss smile

If I move in bed it is complete agony, I can't lie on either shoulder, and have to sleep on my back which is not natural for me. .

I KNOW this is all hormone related. I don't need a doctor to confirm it, and I know I am playing a wating came until my body comes out the other side. It MUST be self limiting, please God...and the body MUST get used to the decrease in estrogen, which is like the WD40 of the body. I just cannot bear the though of life with this forever. However, I have done a LOT of research on the internet (Japanese women get it all the time, and so do young women with breast cancer on estrogen supressants) and apparently you do come out of the other side when the body decides to!

I went on high strength HRT (Prempak C) as I just could not live with the pain. I do feel better on it. But, I realise that unfortunately, once you get a frozen shoulder as a direct result of menopausal (or other hormone deficient ) tendonitis, the frozen shoulder itself does not magically go away just because you take hormones...it will take however long it takes as it would with anyone who got it, male or female. The right thing to do would be to realise what is happening and take the HRT BEFORE the frozen shoulder sets in. Oh for a crystal ball, I would have taken it at the start of peri, five years ago.

The good new is that once you have had frozen shoulder you very rarely get it in the SAME shoulder again. So this means for you and me, the chances that it will keep recurring are slim. I am sort of glad I got them both at the same time as I would have been distraught if I had got over one FS, then had another, like you did. At least you also know the drill...four years for your first one....oh dear sad

If I were you I would try HRT. It really has softened things up a bit for me, and I am not in as much pain as I was. I used to take 5 x pain relief a day, but since starting Prempak I take nothing.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Lesley998,

I cannot imagine two FS's at once. I am so glad to hear that the probability of getting this again is very slim. I simply could not go through this again. I understand teh back scratcer thing. I use a long plastic fork I got from a take out place that used fancy forks that look liek real ones. It's just long enough to do the trick.

I found a VERY interesting article here: http://www.frozenshoulder.ca/

I am Canadian but live in Europe. I am considering going back for a month just to do this treatment. One treatment and then home exercises I can deal with over choosing 4 or 5 years of pain! I contacted them via Email and they sent a form to fill in and will need the xrays and Dr's report.

In the mean time I will discuss with my Dr the HRT and see what he says.

Thanks for your help and good luck to you too! (still shaking my head over 2 FS at once!)

To Gerry the Neck, I have an old history of continual neck problems due to the type of sport I did in my younger years. So I suppose I get a double whammy here with neck shoulder upper back problems. None were very substantial with exception twice when I was only in my 20's and had a terrible tear in my upper back. I suppose age is catching up to all the sport injuries we do to our bodies when we were all young and foolish haha!

Everyone else: Take care, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel even when we find ourselves on the curbside as Lesley998 did. I did a similar thing, slipping on stairs and grabbed the handrail instinctively. I cried out, rather yelled out, and crouched squatted on the stairs for about 5 minutes before I could get up again.

So I diligently plug away at my very little arm swings, try to hug myself and hope for the best.

• Posted

I developed a very frozen left shoulder almost exactly at 50 last Summer. I had no idea what it was. I tried to do as the doctors suggested physical therapy which made it worse !!! I am a nurse and not able to work very much at this time. I do some home stretches, pack my shoulder in ice, take small doses of ibuprofen, tylenol and neurontin which helps. It's hard not to be depressed and grouchy sometimes with my family.. Frozen shoulder is very disabling and I can't believe they really don't know how to treat it or prevent it.

I am interested in the HRT but I really not fond of the side effects. I am looking for a good alternative herbal hormone supplement.

I found your posts encouraging and helpful, bless you all.....breathe and relax.

• Posted

As the original poster, just wanted to update on my situation for anyone who may be following this thread regarding sudden onset frozen shoulder in menopausal women.

In late January this year after months of constant pain in both shoulders, I suddenly realised (literally over a matter of days) that I had less pain and more movement in both my arms. I was beginning to un freeeze. I still did not have anything like full movement back in my left arm, but I had not had one of those killer spasms since Christmas. Hallelujah I thought, it is over.

Whether this was due to taking high dose HRT for a month, or a natural event that would have occurred In this self limiting condition who knows ...but , here's the thing.

Unfortunately, due to sudden severe migraines for the first time at age 51 - along with some other horrible side effects including sky high blood pressure - I was recently taken off HRT by my GP. (I was on Prempak-C 1.25)

Two weeks after taking my last HRT tablet I began to feel that tell tale tendon pain in my shoulders and elbows. I now have familiar pain in my left bicep and collar bone. It is following a patterns I am only too familiar with from last time and I fear I am on my way to another FS. Or two. Who knows.

What people without this condition do not realise is the extent of how much it changes your life. Everything is geared toward not causing yourself ecrutiating pain. You cannot raise your arm past a certain level, so how you dress, sleep and live is drastically changed.it is like living with your arm in a constant sling.

I know men and women get this condition and it is not limited to being linked to hormonal activity, but in my case, it most definitely IS linked to hormones and estrogen depletion and I am thoroughly p*issed off!!

• Posted

Hi there

Just reading your discussions and just thougt I'd let you know my situation.

I'm 50 years of age and up to a frozen shoulder taking over my right arm 10 months ago I was very fit, kick boxing up to 4 times a week. My husband still has his frozen shoulder in his left arm since last July and thought I was just copying him. But it turns out I do have genuine frozen shoulder and torn tendons in my right arm

The surgeon recommends physio for 6 months to try and free it up the arm before I can have the opp.

I'm on a load of pain killers which quite honestly don't help any.

I can't sleep in any position and to be honest I'm turning into a bear with a sore head. Grumpy draws is my nick name now.

Which is likely to be causing me the most stress. The frozen shoulder or the torn tendons?

I just know don't anymore. I can't think striaght, or compose a letter to save my life. I sew for a living so everthing in my life is affected. Not a happy bunny I'm not.

Interesting reading your discussions though and I'm off to see the doc again tomorrow and will discuss the menopause with her. I'm useless at taking any medication, you could say I'm a complete lightweight.

Cheers

Sharon

• Posted

Hi Sharon1692

I really I am also 50 but got my first FZ in my mid/late 40's. My 1st FS I was truly convinced I had just simply torn something and would not listen to any DR whom said maybe I tore my rotator cuf but the evidence was inconclusive. My FS started after I moved my very big treadmill out of one room down a hall and into another room by myself. I'm 5'+ and so when the next day I had muscle pain I chalked it up to just doing too much. 4+ years later I knew better! Now I'm on my second FS which coincidentally has started around the very same moth my original one started all those years ago? Hormone cycle? could be. I also did show the beginnings of menopause quite early. I already had hot flushes as early as 41.

Just an update on the link I posted earlier. I chickened out and did not book an appointment. I spoke to my Dr and he was skeptical saying every few years a new fad cure or surgery comes out. he advised me to wait. Now I am not in any constant pain, unless I move my arm past it's allowed point by accident. Then I scream bloody murder. I have had now two cortisone shots. I know the cortisone risks but when you are in constant excruciating pain you are willing to do just about anything. The risk si far milder than surgery or even HRT. I am not a candidate for HRT (but that is not a Dr's opinion. I've not really spoken to my Dr about this). My hot flashes have become quite bad recently though. So the time may be approaching.

BUT. If it I find out from ANYONE that after two FS they got yet a 3rd I am going to take every possible therapy known to man! I just cannot go through this a third time! Now I have done both arms and what's next, a leg? haha!

To all you that are in the first few months stage of FS, I really get your pain. You think it will never end. You can't wash your hair, do the dishes, hug your partner, kids, dog. That stage does end! You sneeze and end up with tears in your eyes 'cause your arm moved. You go to reach that bowl on the top shelf of your cupboard and yelp in pain cause you forgot and reached with the wrong arm. Try whatever therapy works for you. Cortisone, HRT, Physio. Each of us respond differently.

BTW, Sharon, I take turmeric and ginger capsules every day. You can get them and any natural health store and often combined. Both help with inflammation and turmeric will help ease your stomach from all the pain killers you pop just to survive. They won't help much in the really bad first stage, but I live by them right now cause I am REALLY bad with taking pills. You can get both Ginger and Turmeric in gel capsules so easy to swallow.

• Posted

Sharon...not a candidate for HRT?

Hot flashes? Aged 50? You may not want to *HAVE* HRT...but I think you are definitely a candidate at age 50. it is definitely menopause...we can't escape it, taxes or death!!

• Posted

Whoops, the above reply was meant for MJTh!

Must be my menopausal eyesight ....

• Posted

Hi MJTh

So sorry I haven't replied to your last post, our mail preference decided to delate everything in one day then

keeps on doing, like myself it needs a holiday.

Great advice, went to the docs asked for HRT and asked if she came across this treatment for my problem.

She had and was fine with it but thought If it didn't work after a months supply then it was going to .

Well, I can't tell you how better it made me feel. I still have pain but not half as much and my well being is up

through the roof. I sing now every morning, its done something to my brain.

The physio helps so much with movement and I'm having acipunture after Easter. So it's all great apart

form the tendon damage which I can now feel because I'm getting the feeling back in my arm.

I'm going ask the doc to keep me on HRT because I don't want to feel that depressed over the amount of

pain you get from frozen shoulder.

So thank you so much for giving me into insight into your problem and I hope all gets better for you.

PS I can now spray under my armpits without pain.

I'll be back training soon and I never thought that would happen.

Cheers

Sharonxxxx

• Posted

Hi MJTh

So sorry I haven't replied to your last post, our mail preference decided to delate everything in one day then

keeps on doing, like myself it needs a holiday.

Great advice, went to the docs asked for HRT and asked if she came across this treatment for my problem.

She had and was fine with it but thought If it didn't work after a months supply then it was going to .

Well, I can't tell you how better it made me feel. I still have pain but not half as much and my well being is up

through the roof. I sing now every morning, its done something to my brain.

The physio helps so much with movement and I'm having acipunture after Easter. So it's all great apart

form the tendon damage which I can now feel because I'm getting the feeling back in my arm.

I'm going ask the doc to keep me on HRT because I don't want to feel that depressed over the amount of

pain you get from frozen shoulder.

So thank you so much for giving me into insight into your problem and I hope all gets better for you.

PS I can now spray under my armpits without pain.

I'll be back training soon and I never thought that would happen.

Cheers

Sharonxxxx

• Posted

Sorry miss spelled acupuncture

• Posted

Glad the HRT worked for you Sharon!!

It is such a shame more doctors were not as clued up as yours, and willing to give you HRT for physical aches and pains and frozen shoulder, which are not well known symptoms of meno. I still say any perimenopausal woman who is suffering from this hellish condition should ask for HRT.

It can give you your life back, and it is almost like the body has been craving the hormones, you feel so much better - as you found out!

• Posted

This has been a very enlightening thread for me, and I'm thrilled to have come across it in my researching of Frozen Shoulder. I am - Female, 52, suffered whiplash 25 years ago, and now beginning to notice signs that menopause is due within the next year or two most likely. This last December I began to have pain in both my shoulders, but more so in the right one, (I'm left handed). After a month of pain, my right shoulder began to stiffen up, the range of motion becoming limited, along with events of unexpected burning pain when reaching the wrong way. In January, I began acupuncture, which helped, but does not fully alleviate the pain or stiffness. So I added chiropractic treatments this past month, and that is when I first heard the term Frozen Shoulder. The past two weeks, I've been reading, and sifting through all the suggested remedies, when I came to your post. Onset of Menopause ... Reduction of Hormones ... it all makes sense! The BEST news here is reading that this pain is not a life sentence ::::phew:::::

Here's what I am wondering though, short of going on a prescribed HRT, do you think using an estrogen cream might be worth trying? If my memory serves me well, I remember reading somewhere that application by patch or cream is preferred, (presumably less inflammatory reaction) than oral, and it is sold over the counter here in the U.S.

Thanks again for your post, and the replies ... it has given me renewed hope and stress relief!

Valerie

• Posted

Hi Vice

I'm a firm believer in research and if this information has helped you then I'm so glad. I don't take any

medication very well so I might consider the HRT cream also. I will say one thing though if you haven't

already done so, consult your Doctor for pain management. I tried(an experiment) without pain relief for 2 days and was in total agony! I did resemble a bear with a sore head.

Tip: Under your worse arm hug a pillow when lying on your front. I find it helps. Do your physo, even if feels more uncomfortable afterwards. Its all about getting the movement back. Trust me I couldn't lift my arm to use spray deodorant a month ago. Now I can and it makes me so happy

All the best to your

cheers

Sharon

• Posted

Hi Vice

I'm a firm believer in research and if this information has helped you then I'm so glad. I don't take any

medication very well so I might consider the HRT cream also. I will say one thing though if you haven't

already done so, consult your Doctor for pain management. I tried(an experiment) without pain relief for 2 days and was in total agony! I did resemble a bear with a sore head.

Tip: Under your worse arm hug a pillow when lying on your front. I find it helps. Do your physo, even if feels more uncomfortable afterwards. Its all about getting the movement back. Trust me I couldn't lift my arm to use spray deodorant a month ago. Now I can and it makes me so happy

All the best to your

cheers

Sharon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.