Ectopic heart beats linked to indigestion.

Posted , 50 users are following.

I am a 63 year old woman with what has now become a chronic ectopic heart problem. Like other members, I have a lot of wind and the ectopia is always eased by bringing up a good burp. Baking soda in water has the best effect.  I would like to concentrate on diet changes to minimise the problem. I have discovered that being constipated is a trigger, as is strong coffee and acidic wine, yeasty bread, and fatty food. Suggestions I have read on this forum such as taking magnesuim and iron are worth a try. A bad day is exhausting and stressful, and sleep can be difficult. It is good to read others experiences, keep them coming.

5 likes, 124 replies

124 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there - you will find lots of support here. We all get quite anxious over these jolly things, and you will find that doing some research on what you are eating just before you get the ectopics will help you to eliminate some triggers. Personally, my diet is quite boring, I have now cut out my little treats of  3 licorice allsorts each day, and I'm finding that my ectopics are now decreased to only 3 or 4 a day, and usually after meals. I miss the licorice like crazy, I really love them, but if I can decrease the "blips" just by not eating them, so be it.

I don't eat bread, drink any alcohol, or strong coffee. I love my chai latte tea drink, but limit myself to one sachet a day, which makes me two cups. Water is boring, but that's my drink mainly. I fihd that if I eat red meat, it brings on the ectopics again, so I avoid red meat. But, I can have chicken as much as I like, I occasionally eat pork, and I now eat lots of vegetables. So, although my diet is boring, it's a fact that if I stick to "healthy" meals, the ectopics are minimal. So for me, I think I've sorted out some triggers, and I know we are all different, so others triggers I guess will be different too. But, we all are the same in that we really hate these ectopics, we anx about them, and we wish they would go away......Another thing, I now eat much more alkaline causing food, for me, an acid or upset stomach means more ectopics, so I have printed out heaps of information on alkaline producing food, and although it's a bit of a mine field and a tad confusing, that appears to be helping too. Good luck with your research, and you are not alone! Lizzie

• Posted

Hello, I am a 64 year old woman and get periods of awful ectopic beats which can last for weeks sometimes.  However, I don't have the problem you have with burping, wind or constipation.  I am a total vegan with my diet and this can solve a lot of intestinal problems.  I suggest you completely stop eating meat, for both ethical and health reasons, and I am sure you will soon experience a huge benefit with your associated digestive problems.  Incidentally, meat products are very acid-forming in the gut.
  • Posted

Hi Im still getting to know my triggers - but have cut down on caffeine - which helps - only one small weak coffee a day - no fizzy drinks - no alcohol - well one small beer from time to time.  But despite this still havent tracked down food related triggers - thought Chinese food with the MSG but this is a hit and a miss sometimes yes sometimes no.  have been diagnosed with AF but truthfully the ectopic beats are far more prevalent than a fast pulse. Find these forums helpful if only to know that there are other people in the same boat.
  • Edited

Hi.  I am 71 and have had them for 48 years.  They are worsening as I get older.  Today I feel exhausted having had a very bad weekend with my ectopic beats and having little sleep.  I cannot relate my problems with either wind, coffee or diet.  I have tried a 48-hour fast in the past and it made no difference whatsoever - I still got the wretched things.  However, there are days (weeks and months sometimes) when they disappear altogether.  I just cannot account for it but I know it is absolute bliss when they disappear and I live a "normal" life.  At least having found this site we are all in it together and gives us comfort.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that you have been suffering with ectopic beats so long. I'm not sure why people get them seems to be many reasons. My doctor told me I've been having them all my life. I have just not noticed them. I don't believe that. I used to exercise every day.Then they start happening with the dizziness and fatigue and I'm lost for an explanation. Doctors don't seem to be concerned. Have you been checked for an under active thyroid? Apparently that can effect heart rhythm.
    • Posted

Hello Michael.  Thanks for your message.  Believe me, I have had every test available - blood, thyroid, ECGs, nuclear medicine and treadmill.  I have seen at least five consultants in my lifetime (age  71) and all of them say not to worry about my heart so much, that it is something that it likes to do - other people's eyelids pulsate or one suffers hiccups - me, I get ectopics - luck of the draw I suppose.  They always meddle with my head and I can get panicky - I hate them.  I also don't suffer from dizziness or fatigue.  I do try distraction therapy - ie. get up, walk about, go outside in the garden or take 10 deep breaths.
    • Posted

I have the same situation....what gets me is what causes them to go away and then return again.

GERD, HIATAL HERNIA, they are always present, but sometimes the episodes go away for months, then suddenly return with a vengeance......I can appreciate what youare going through.....I just turned 72, and have had these things since I WAS 29.

• Posted

I have heard one can have a HH stapled back in position. Has anyone heard or considered this idea? Thanks.

• Posted

Hi There. I'm 44 and started having ectopic heart Beats about 6 months ago. I agree with you about there being a link between ectopic beats and indigestion. I have noticed that when I have a lot of wind the ectopic beats seem worse. I have had 3 ecgs and blood tests. Nothing found to be of interest, or so my doctor tells me. However, I have insisted on seeing a cardiologist. I was first told I could continue to exercise but after a couple of incidents of feeling faint because of my heart going crazy, I'm now told not too. I also have found out recently I have a under active thyroid. Which can also contribute to ectopic heart Beats. I don't smoke or drink and before this exercised every day. Seems like exercise really is bad for you. All the best.
    • Posted

On this Forum members have found that their ectopics go during exercise. A friend's wife in her 60's runs at least three miles every day and does not have them during it. She also treks in mountain areas.
    • Posted

Did you have a stress (treadmill) ECG?

Are you taking any meds for your thyroid?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm not taking meds at the moment. Having more blood tests. Also waiting for an appointment to have a ecg monitor strapped to me for seven days and ultrasound. I can cope with the ectopic beats as long as they don't come with such intense indigestion.
    • Posted

I've had indigestion/acid reflux/hiatus hernia for years. Recently it has been very bad and by 'coincidence' so has my heart rate. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the comment. There is definitely a link between the two. Every nurse I have spoken to agrees. However , doctors are not so keen. They seem oblivious to the worry these ectopic beats cause. The fact they effect almost every part of your life.
  • Posted

Hiya.  It just goes to prove that if you can do all those sort of activities, then your heart problem is not serious.  The heart is a strong muscle and compensates to its best ability for any sort of "glitches" in its performance.  You would not be able to walk down the street or, indeed, around the house if the heart was in serious trouble.  Our minds concentrating on these flippin ectopics is the problem! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.