Can longstanding high hgb+haematocrit be due to other causes than polycythaemia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello.  What my title says really, I am looking for opinions.  Just been told by my family doctor that polycythaemia is not always a disease of the blood, and also that consistent high hgb + high Hct levels are not uncommon ?

j.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessie

Well I am no Doctor but Polycythaemia is related to the blood. Poly (meaning many) Cythaemia (meaning blood cells) and if its Rubra Vera ….Rubra (meaning red) and Vera (meaning true). – I have seen some people say that PV and PRV are different, but they are the same. PV is just a shortened version of PRV. It is a Primary Polycythaemia. Perhaps what your Doctor may be referring to is that of Secondary Polycythaemia. This is caused by an underlying condition, which still ultimately impacts on your blood cells. Living at high altitudes can affect your blood cells as can dehydration in addition to more serious secondary causes but to the best of my knowledge…..Polycythaemia, or erythrocytosis as it is also known, means having a high concentration of red blood cells in your blood. So you may not have a disease of the blood such as PRV but something else would be causing you to have a high blood count, thus causing Polycythaemia.

Hope the above makes sense

Keith

• Posted

Hi keith.  Thank you so much for your reply.  You explained it very well, and you are correct that the Doctor was referring to Secondary Polycythaemia (sorry didn't make that clear in my question).

Although I did ask the Doctor many questions he wasn't able to explain it as well as you have here.   I am grateful for you taking the time to answer.  I understand a lot better now, and you made perfect sense, thanks.

jessie

• Posted

Hi Jessie! Keith did a great job explaining our blood disorder the hard part for me was the waiting and testing to get a firm diagnoses which in my case was secondary. Once you find out and find out the treatment of choice you will feel so much better. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi ellen!

I followed your posts so read you had a long trawl to get answers, but worth it eventually no doubt.

My general doc. seems sure my polycythaemia is secondary and due to COPD as I was a smoker, so chest xr, spirometry being organised plus more blood tests.  Perhaps these will give the answer - can only wait and see.

Great to have this forum. I really appreciate being able to ask questions of others who understand and have such knowledge.

It's like having lots of friends to ask  smile

j.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.