Glaucoma use of Azopt

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been presently using Azopt + Travatan for about 3 months. With this as a side effect, I feel unstable/ heavy head/ feeling of being unwell. As far, Travatan is concerned, I had earlier used it as the only eye drops for about 2 months but my IOP did not come down considerably 18 each eye hence Azopt was added to it and my IOP came down to 15 each eye after some time.

Now I feel I should try only Azopt and not Travatan. Now my question is to ask if some one else has only  used Azopt and what have been the results and also its side effects. One can try to bear the side effects if some eye drop can bring down the IOP to 14 0r 15 each eye.

I was diagnosed early Glaucoma+ early AMD in Oct, 2015. My eye sight still remains pretty well. For AMD, I have started using Saffron2020 (a product approved by Canadian health Department).I did read some  views of Saffron2020 user that it had a positive effect on his/her IOP as well. Any views on this if at all some one has been using this product?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Keep Travatan but replace Azopt with Betaxalol.
    • Posted

I have already used Betaxalol repeatedly alone and with Travatan which does not reduce my IOP. It also creates headache for me which could be accepted if it had lowered my IOP.

My History

Initially I had used Betaxalol. Didn't work hence Codorzal (Dorzolamide 2%+Timolo 0.5%) was started. It reduced my IOP very nicely 12 each eye in a months time but it reduced my heart rate to 50 per min even 48 per min at times. I did not feel any other side effect with Co-Dorzal. but it was stopped due to decrease in my heart rate.

After this, Travatan alone was started which kept my IOP 18 one eye and 16 in the other in 1.5 months use.

Then I was told to start travatan + Co-dorzal once a day. Heart rate came down to 16 each eye but it decreased my heart rate as stated above.Hence stopped.

Then I was told to start Travatan with Betaxalol. My IOP after its 1.5 moths use was once 18 one eye and 17 in the othger after furthera few days IOP was 18 each eye. It was almost the same as with Travatan alone.

After this, Travatan+Azopt waS started and my IOP came down to 15 each eye.  after about 2 months use.

Now I wanted to meet the Doc and suggest why not try only Azopt for some time to see its results.

• Posted

One SLT laser treatment takes a few minutes in your opthalmologist's office if he has it. It will reduce your IOP below 15 but you will still need to use eye drops to maintain it.

Also by year's end a monthly injection will be available which will eliminate daily eye drops.

• Posted

ooh that sounds interesting....where can we find more info on this monthly injection?
    • Posted

Contact Dr. Janet Serle, Professor of opthalmology at Mount Sinai Hospital, New York City. She is one of the developers of the injection method now being tested for FDA approval.
    • Posted

Thanks for the response. I suggested Laser treatment to the Doc but he does not agree with it; possibly due to my advanced age of 83 yrs. Here in Pakistan, Docs avoid prescribing SLT.

I am still using Travatan+Azopt and some how feel some decrease in the side effects as I felt earlier.

Do tell when the injections come into the market.

• Posted

hi

so sorry to hear you are having such trouble.

i am on the same 2 drugs as you are but luckily i am not aware of having those effects.

as you say you have been on these for only 3 months - maybe the symptoms will pass eventually as your body gets used to the drops? could it be due to some other cause or other meds that you are on?

please speak to your opthalmologist before making any changes because the main objective is to keep your pressures down and hence protect your eyesight.

good luck

• Posted

you are using the same drops as myself Travatan Once a day in the evening and Azopt twice a day. With these eye drops, my IOP came down to 15 each eye. Can you tell me your IOP after using these medicines.
    • Posted

Quite a bit of time has passed since we exchanged views on the use of Travatan once a day and Azopt twice a day.  i am now on these medications for the last 8 months or so. With these my IOP had come down to 15 each eye but now after so much use my IOP remains 15-16 Lt eye and 18-19 Rt eye.

My normal BP in summers has been remaining 130/60 without any medication. In winters it goes up and has to be controlled with medicines.  Docs say that this is a normal seasonal variation for elders in winters. Some how I feel that now when summers are approaching, it may have some better effect on IOP as well. May be so or not. It could as well be increase in IOP with passage of time.

i wonder what has been yours or other users view/ experience about this aspect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.