Diazepam taper problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone , has anyone had any experience with tegretol when tapering with diazepam ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fred. I'm tapering with diazepam myself at the moment.

I'm also a nurse, so can I ask why you're interested in tegretol? Are you taking it, thinking of taking it, and is your diazepam taper being supervised by a doctor?

Look forward to your reply.

• Posted

hi tess , i hust wondered if you or you know anyone whom as used tegretol while tapering ?, iam not taking it but would interested to know more about it.

The supervision re dr isnt so good tess  , on the boxes were  6mg for 5 days  4mg  for 5 days then 2 mg for 5 days then stop ,

I was certain this was all wrong , i went down 1 every 5 days instead of 2  and when i got to 3mg  i was in a bad bad way , i went back after 5  or 6 days with no sleep and obtained a box of  5mg and am now back on them  - but so far after being on them 2 days ive still not slept , iam so ill and tired skin burning etc .

i need some professional help  

• Posted

Hi Fred

You're right. The tapering is totally wrong.

Start at 10mg a day for a fortnight

Then 8mg a day for a fortnight

Then 6mg a day for a fortnight and so on until you reach zero.

Your doctor is doing it way too fast, which is why you feel so awful.

Re - tegretol - avoid, avoid, avoid. It doesn't do anything good in these situations and has some horrible side-effects.

Let us know how you're getting on. We're here for you. Love Tess

• Posted

Hi Fred an tess am following this discussion as I too am interested about it...hope your shaking as stopped Fred an your a bit better today X
    • Posted

been quite severe  again today paula , but last couple hrs not been as bad as the rest of the day  iam just so so tired .
    • Posted

Fred you can do this,keep going thru these waves as hard as they are...I had some advice from a phy ward nurse.she said she uses an anti histamine in the ward for when people are so bad with sleep.Its called phennergn when I was cold turking they were a blessing in disguise!as they have a sedative effect...am not sure if you can take these but I knew when I was desperate an burning skin etc these really really helped!you can buy them over the counter from boots £8 a packet!hope this helps a little bit....you WILL BEAT THIS!!!

• Posted

That woman (Angel in disguise as I didn't know her)told me about those.An they really helped...I hope I can pass some advice an even help a little....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.