Went for Vaginal Ultrasound and the could barely see my left ovary.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been having a not just right feeling in my left lower side. Than one day the pain started to be very severe in my lower back same side...I went to a new ob/gyn (not being able to get an appointment with my regular one) he did a brief exam with saying he didn't feel anything abnormal maybe it's scar tissue from my csections and my colon removal surgery years earlier..but I should follow up with my regular Dr and ask for an mri. Followed up with my regular dr and they ordered a Vaginal Ultrasound. My Ultrasound went well until we got to that sise...the poor tech felt awful but kept digging deeper to try to find my ovary! It definitely hurt and I was sore after. I heard back the next morning that there were abnormalities and possible Cysts covering most of my ovary...they wanted to forward the results to my regular ob/gyn to schedule and mri ..... and now here is sit and wait!! Trying to think positive bit not having much luck! Anyone else have an experience similar to mine? I would love to hear how it all turned out for you

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Years ago, my older sister experienced the same. Her GYNE suggested a partial hysterectomy. However, she requested everything to be taken out, oppose to a partial. She didn't want to endure any pain or issues in the near future. Everything went quite except for the menopause symptoms that occurred shortly after the surgery. She was only 37 when she had the surgery. In your case it could very well be a scar from your previous c-section. You should get a second opinion. 

I have (2) large fibroid tumors one is the size of a grapefruit & the other is the size if af orange. I never had them shrunken or removed, I had spoke with my GYNE and was told since I was in my middle 40's at the time that they will shrink on their on in due time since I was pre-menopausal. Once menopause takes place the body starts losing estrogen and they have nothing to feed them, so my GYNE says.  Now that I'm going through menopause, I no longer have any issues with them. 

If I were you I'll consult with your doctor about having the cyst remove. So that it doesn't cause you any serious issues in the near future. Actually, Ive heard that cyst can be very painful at times. Good luck to you!

• Posted

I plan on having my ovaries removed to avoid future cyste because after speaking to my supervisor after her removal she had another one
  • Posted

Kristy, they couldnt see my ovary either but I had a huge cyst 37cm. I also had a small one 3 cm on the other ovary. I also had a previous surgery to have part of myintestine removedI Had it removed and a total hysterectomy as Im 63 and dont want to worry about any thing growing any more. I think a lot depends on your age and you have to wait until your MRI before you really know whats going on with you. Try not to worry i know its hard but wait and see what your results are and Im sure you will be fine
  • Posted

It can happen that an ovary cannot be found via transvaginal ultrasound,

they can hide, no matter if they are completely normal or not, 'unable to visualize'.

MRI is no way for the ovary to hide and cyst(s) can be seen in MRI too.

(They cannot do the doppler mapping of blood supply like via ultrasound, hence ultrasound is the preferred method, but if it is hiding, MRI is the next step...)

When the technician says not to be able to find the ovary and then you hear back that there was a possible cyst, it is highly confusing message.  ?

Also you were not told as to what the 'abnormalities' referred. To the one found ovary or to the uterus like fibroids or something or nothing gyn related?

I hope your MRI is scheduled soon and with this imaging in hand,

there will be no confusion left.

As I always advice is, to get a bit prepared/informed prior consultation and it depends a lot on your age, too.

If you are a normal menstruating aged woman, cysts up to 3cm are considered 'normal' (yet again, of course, it depends if purely functional, simple cysts).

In numbers many literatures say, up to 12 cysts per ovary are normal (not PCO! usual cut off is 15 small cysts per ovary, yet again it depends on hormone influence).

Cyst is not cyst, simple cyst to complex cyst.

Also it can turn out, that nothing is up with your ovaries or uterus and the symptoms coming from e.g. adhesions. Who knows.

You need the MRI please and I keep my fingers drossed for you!

• Posted

Yep.  My stupid cyst took over my left ovary.  I have to remove it all next week ... the cyst has a mural nodule and they do not like that....  Good luck.. I wish I had the MRI! I rushed into this surgery next week... I feel like I failed myself!
    • Posted

Awww...you poor thing!! Good luck and I will be anxious to find out how it goes! I got a call from my Dr I guess they found that my Mirena perforated my uterus! That's what is causing most of the discomfort for the past year! He wants to try to remove it in the office...I'm a little nerveous about this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.