should I trust my psychiatrist

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went to her almost a year ago for ADD/ADHD combined adult onset and depression which she saw the diagnosis I brought her that was several years old.It included drug abuse.

so she prescribed me Vyvanse which has a very low abuse ability for the add/adhd. nothing for the depression. after about a month or so she put me on lexapro half a pill to start. within a few days I couldnt tolerate the side effects while working. so she had me stop them. so nothing for depression until 5 weeks ago. by this point i"m up to 40 mg of vyvanse daily in the morning. so she starts me on 30 mg of cymbalta. after 5 weeks I had become more reserved and my negative thinking is all the time. I tend to take blame for all my families problems. guilt and not happy much. dont talk much. cant think of constructive things to talk about. so 3 days ago she had me just stop the cymbalta and start half of 2 mg of abilify a day. I got sick yesterday and threw up. felt the same this morning but getting a little better. avoiding work. she feels the new med will help my negative thinking. I am getting tired of taking meds though. feeling confused.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you're struggling to find something that works for you. Takes time for them to get into our systems, and side effects seem to be worse the 1st week or so, hang in there xx

• Posted

And yes, I think you should. Thy know their stuff xx
  • Posted

Hi I don't no anything about your illness really but some about medication & untrustworthy phyciatrist who don't give 2 hoots about you &;how your feeling. I only heard of adhd in adults maybe 6 months ago an article in the news paper that hasn't been mentioned since.. Iv been let down so much with meds pdr just doesn't listen . Thankfully a cpn has contacted me yesterday to help speak to her and give me the correct meds. Iv got a feeling your being very ill because you havnt withdrawn from your other med 1st this also happened to me. You need to taper even if it's just for 2 weeks or so .I think you may go through an awful time for some weeks because of this also stops the benefits from your new med working well.. Iv been ill since Feb March. . I have bipolar which I take lithium for but the depression side is the problem ..I'm starting citrolpram tomorrow &;have high hopes as iv tapered down this time from venlafaxine & mirtazapine before that .

• Posted

thanks for the reply. you called it. I decided to look up withdrawal symptoms frm cymbalta after i posted this and bingo. everything I feel was listed. so I called my pharmacist and asked her. she told me how to taper off since I still had cymbalta left. then my psichiatrists understudy called and agreed. I felt like telling her thanks for not telling me Monday. I"m tired of meds. anything I get put on really doesnt help as much as I suffer from side effects. even the vyvanse which is a stimulant doesnt help. I think i will get off everything and see what happens. I been trying diff. things for years. even street drugs.the hard part is why do I think so negative when I have a wife of 33 years. two daughters that love me and 2 grand children that love me. I work hard support us and help my daughters whenever they need help. but in my mind I shoulda woulda coulda more for everyone.

• Posted

Ahhhh that's great news I was told to come straight off mirt which was totally wrong that's why I thought maybe the same is happening to u. I no exactly what your saying it's not good is it but youl most likely be ok for a short while then boom you wnt no what hit you. Has alot of bad stuff happened to you during your life? I no a was a effectionate loving child loved to please was most aunts &;uncles favourites because I was so happy. Something happened in my childhood that changed that .. then all through life the people that u naturally trust hurt u badly ..I think that's what has made me who I am today. & feel far to old to change. Having bipolar u trust easy &;get used easily so now I have no1 apart from my daughter & son. This has been since March &;I feel better for it .. Iv tried to explain this feeling we have to family &;they look at me as ungrateful. ?? to tired now to explain anymore .they don't care to listen .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.