I have udergone large hiatus surgery two times,lost 32 kg of weight,unable to eat properly.wt do i d

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey ,

It was 2015 January when i had undergone for my 1st large hiatus hernia surgery i.e nissan fundoplication by a renowned doctor of the country.Though after reaching home i started getting white foam from my mouth and later was admitted to local hospital for another treatment .Later came to know there occured a swelling inside as the doctors somehow has tighten the wrap.it took three days to lesser down the swelling and gradually i start drinking only but i was unable to take down even a sip of water and it hurts like hell.months passed and whenever i consult my doctor he just had few words to say " dont panic slowly u will start eating normally,it takes time.Five months has already passed and i was under depression of all time vomittings,nausea,pain,belching etc etc.and than one of my cousin who was in the same field in other hospital asked me to come and have a check up.he and his team further did my endoscopy(which has become normal for me to attend 7 endoscopies so far) and barium swallow test in which he showed me live on video screen that why i am unable ti eat or drink properly.my warp was tight that i wasnt able to take my liquid diet or food down to my stomach.it was horrible to see live dysfunction caused by my doctor who operated me.keeping in mind that he will surely help me out went back to him and explain the cause,he become aggressive and said " ok we will REDO Fundoplication..i.e hes gonna put me in the same position or may be worst.i left with tears in my eyes .i was growing weak day by day and has lost around 22 kg in nearly six months.T han i consult my known doctor somehow through my uncles references who is also a doctor.underwent another laproscopic surgery in june 2015 .i was happy that ate food aftet long months.but slowly and gradually i came to know that i cant take heavy food although..same answers by him aswell " dont worry it will take time.its ur nervous system which controls ur body and its functions.LOL i guess had become a joke for doctors till date.

ME : Uncle i am unable to eat properly and sometimes food got stuck badly that i have to vomit with pressure.

MY DOCTOR : if scope can pass through your esophagus why not food... Lol how would have know about this..should have been a doctor would have never consult u atleast.

Today its beenn a more than half a year and they guy who use to be handsome,bodybuilder,food lover aand has capaxity to eat to the maximum has lost his weight around 23 kg # cant eat Wheat stuff # it took me around 1 and half hour to finish a bowl of rice and some other food # sometimes scared of eating food # have stopped going to restaurants ,parties # birthdays # people when they vomit feel scared # and i am now use to # :D

I WROTE THIA THING JUST COZ i want help..is there anyone or who can get me out of this.i want to get back to my real foody life.i miss food and i wnt to eat like normal people in no time..

Thanks if u read the most boring thing in ur life.. appreciated..

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HI, sorry about that but i think you should consult a very good gastroentrologist/Surgeon for your case.i had a laparascopic fundoplication for hiatal hernia repair on 23/6/2016 and i was able to take a sip of water the following day.i was able to take poridge the second day after surgery.i was on fluids for only one week and my doctor introduced me to  semi solid food the following week.i am now able to swallow properly and can burp.am off tablets for now and trying to manage my esophogeal ulcers with food(having meals in time).my doctor told me that it takes two to three weeks for some one to start swallowing without difficulties.i wish you the best in your endavor to find a doctor who can help you out.big prayers for you
  • Posted

I too had large HH and Nissen Fundo In March of this year it is now 5 months.  My dr said that he tightened me up a little more when doing the surgery....whatever that meant at the time it works.....In the beginning it is no picnic and i could not swallow water easily but it gradually got better every week....diet is the key component to a good recovery.  I can eat most everything now...not as much at a sitting as i used to eat.  So i eat 6x a day smaller portions than say 3 larger meals.  I have 10% smaller stomach doctor said.  I dont know what to reccomend but nutritional smoothies were beneficial to me.  In the beginning clear liquids, advanced to thicker drinks, boost was a nutrtional supplement or ensure.  Never did I drink water while eating for a long time...that takes up space in the stomach...drink after and in between meals.  That was vry important.  See a nutrionist and have them guide you....Good Luck and Get Well   Liz
  • Posted

Hello Babar02,  I read your story and I'm sorry you have to go through this.  The main thing I want you to know is that you probably need a second opinion - a new doctor.  This doctor seems not too concerned.  Not being able to eat properly is not an inconvience, its a serious health issue.  Hernias are dangerous and should be treated as such.  Please see another doctor, see as many as necessary until you are healed.  I am speaking from experience.  I know what it's like not to be able to eat, or when I do eat, it comes back.  I know what it's like to have your food go through a hold in your body and not through the normal channel.  It is one of the most uncomfortable, painful feelings I have ever had.  I can honestly say it was worst than childbirth.  I pray you will find the answer and feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.