IBS diagnosed 25 years ago - but had blood tests recently....

Posted , 6 users are following.

Diagnosed with IBS over 20 years ago. Well, GP didnt really do any tests but I kept going back and in the end they basically told me to go away!

To be honest, I've never been right but past year or so its been worse.

Diarrhoea is the problem. Some days I'm ok some days not. I seem to be taking much more imodium than I used to.

I rarely get stomach pain, never constipation, but its a real inconvenience to say the least.

Im the first to admit my diet is terrible, I'm well overweight (so deffo no weight loss here!) but apart from that, I dont feel unwell or tired or anything like that. I do have a very stressful job and am a very stressy person (depression/anxiety problems in the past).

Not sure if its related but I've had problems with piles a few months ago (needed hospital treatment). Apart from when I get that - no problems with blood generally.

But, I went  back to GP recently - my wife made me. Reluctantly they did blood tests  (dont think it was full) inc inflamatory thingy. Got home today (3 days after tests) to find a letter asking me to go back for repeat blood testsin 3-4 weeks - bone profile and full blood count.

My wife (whos a nurse) is thinking colitis or crohns or something. And I think the worst?

But like I said I've not really got other symptoms.....

Is it possible my bloods have shown up inflamatory markers?

Also, why blood tests in 3-4week why not now?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You can ask if your inflammatory markers are raised. As I understand it the blood tests will show a profile over a 3 month period. Would think there is no point in repeating them so soon. But you should ask for information on what they are doing and why. Ask for an explanation of what problems were flagged up in the results.
  • Posted

Hi

CRP is a blood test that shows inflammation, but it is a very general test. It tells the doctor you have inflammation in your body but not where.   The inflammation can come from having a cold or bumping your leg.

The GP probably wants to recheck to see if your inflammation marker has come back to normal.

Have you had the Calprotectin stool test?

Anything under 50 is classed as IBS and anything over 50 is usually crohns or IBD.

• Posted

You have to wait a few weeks to see if anything has changed. As has been said the inflammatory marker test is very general so they have to see if it's raised in the long run. Blood tests won't show crohns/uc, you need stool test and colonoscopy for that.

• Posted

Thanks all. To be honest, I could see the GPs attitude was a case of IBS for 20+ years so it must be this and nothing else because its gone on for so long (but like I think I said, its worse last year or so). Also, the fact that it was obvious I had no weight loss and had never been ill or tired or anything like that.

So the blood tests were more of a "ok then if you insist" sort of thing.

But no - no stool test. This is the NHS in the uk - thing happen slowly and they dont tend to do tests unless they have to. Great eh?

• Posted

Hi Paul

You are correct, I find the NHS very slow too!

Why not ask the GP about the Calprotectin?  It's the new way to decify whether someone has IBS or IBD and it's cheap!

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

Yes saw the test. To be honest, its a nightmare even getting an appointment at my GP. Test results will be thurdsay I think but GP hasnt said anything about making an appt just sent me a letter saying go for more in 3-4 weeks.

Seen you can pay for test yourself. £70 or so which seems ok to me.

Don't want to upset the GP though by going off on my own. Although, if test showed anythign I'd plan to go to see the GP then.

How do you think they'd react? Be a bit off that I did this on my own or be grateful I saved them and an appointment and a test cost?

• Posted

Hello Paul

Personally I think you should ask your GP for the Calprotectin, just to give you peace of mind.  Maybe you could ask for a telephone consultation to get it arranged?

I was only diagnosed after getting loose bowels after Christmas.  It did set my mind at ease.

Do you take any medication for your IBS?

x

• Posted

I echo what Margaret says - you should ring and ask for explanation of blood results & what/why they want to do more.

• Posted

I have similar issues but Crohn's will show up in your tests. 

• Posted

Yes I think I'd like the calprotectin test if only to rule it out.

• Posted

See the test costs £70 and you can order online.

Anyone ever done this? It might be quicker.

Not sure how GP would feel about this? Would they be a bit off that I was impatient or glad that its saved them the time/cost?

• Posted

Paul, personally I would ring your gp & ask them to leave a form for calprotectin stool test on their reception & you can go in & pick up a specimen bottle at the same time as the form. you then do the poo sample at home & take it back to docs or path lab at your local hospital the same day. my test came back within a couple of weeks. I wouldnt waste £70 when you can get it done on nhs in a reasonable amount of time, & I'm sure your doc would be willing to do it in view of your chronic problems.

• Posted

looloo - that would be easier but GP seems to not be too keen on the test. Seems to prefer saving money...
    • Posted

did you ask for explanation about the bloods what they are doing & why? once you know the reasons it might give you more "ammo" to ask for the calprotectin test, it's a simple test that is accurate, if it's below a certain level it stongly indicate ibs, if its over a certain level it strongly indicates ibd (inflammatory bowel disease - which is a different ball game to ibs). i would push your doctor on this - its a good elimination/indication test.

• Posted

Results due today so Im going to phone later. Yes I've heard its a good test and seems simple enough.

• Posted

Well, no joy. Spoke to treatment room at GP who just said no need to make appt to see doctor just come back in 3 weeks for repeat blood tests.

Jeez- it makes my blood boil. They moan at my GPs that there is such a wait for appointments and they're under-resourced yet they're forcing me down the route of wasting time to make an appt to just ask whats going on.

Could be easily sorted by just speaking to sometone who would be willing to explain my results and explain what and why the next step is happening.

• Posted

Hi Paul

Sorry to hear this - how frustrating for you.

x

• Posted

if i was in your position Paul, like you have said, i would be forced to make an appointment, as you want this explaining & have every right to!!! its not your fault they weren't helpful on the phone & you were trying to avoid an appointment. when you go to your appointment you should definately mention that you tried to deal with this on the phone. don't be made to feel your wasting their time either - you are absolutely right in wanting to know, & it should've been explained what they are doing & why in the first place.

• Posted

I sometimes wish I didnt live in the UK and have to put up with the crap that is the nhs sometimes.

Just logged in to check appts available. First one - 13th September I kid you not. Only option now is to ring (and retry when it engaged) for about an hour at 8am in the mornings. Sometimes then when you get through they say sorry gone for the day.

Trouble is I work 50 miles away and Im work at 8am. No good me ringing at 8am and them saying appt 900Am

Also, I cant really take a day off. Im an it contractor - I dont get paid if Im not there.

£70 for the test myself seems worthwhile at the moment :-(

• Posted

I understand your frustration but as someone currently sorting out health insurance in the US I can say not many here would hold that view are as costs are exorbitant in comparison to a service which is free at the point of delivery. I know we pay via NI but the costs at 13.8% are low in comparison to the US system. 
    • Posted

I so agree I salute the NHS as someone with an auto immune disorder. Our free treatment is totally amazing and I pity you guys in the usa who have to pay. So prohibitive. I know of so many who cannot get the medication they need. I thank god for our brilliant nhs.
    • Posted

As someone who has spent the last 2 months in and out of hospital visiting I can safely say the doctors and nurses were amazing. 
    • Posted

i dont know if it's worth asking your surgery, but ours here, my husband works out of the area too - if you ring up at 8am & explain you work out of area, they give him an appointment in the afternoon or end of day so he can get back in time. might be worth asking yours??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.