B12 blood result of 411. Could that be too low for me even though it's in range

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have been taking 3 meds that can lower the b12 level. Could 411 be low for me even though it's in the guide lines of 200-1,000?

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It could easily be too low . Having a b12 serum level in the normal range does not exclude deficiency and as b12 saturation is not measured , you have no way to see how well you are utilising the b12 into your tissues . You can ask your GP to make a referral to Guys Hospital and pay the £12 fee for an active vitamin b12 test . The vitamin b12 lowering pharma drugs your doctor will have prescrivbed will just create more illnesses , more symptoms and more money . It will do absolutely nothing for you . It`s very likely that the pharma drugs are being prescibed to mask the symptoms of the b12 deficiency in any case . You need to start taking an active form of b12 called methylcobalamin  which is  already in a converted state . A good trick is to take some full fat youghurt or kefir and finely crush a methylcobalamin tablet into it . Leave this overnight at room temperature which will release enzymes and b12 during it`s fermentation and then eat the following morning . Look into foods which are fermented which causes the production of vitamin b12 .

• Posted

Hi Walter80210

I am not a medically qualified person but B12 can be naturally obtained from eating red meats, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products, but at the same time you need to keep your folate (B9) level up by eating green vegetables such as sprouts, broccoli, asparagus etc althouh some cereal products are now fortified with folic acid.

Are you suffering any neurological symptons associated with B12 deficiency and what medications are you on that affect the absorption of B12?

If you are unable to eat a "healthy diet" I've described for whatever reason and decide to supplement B12 as lesley05589 suggests above don't be worried about "overdosing" as any excess is excreted through the urine.

I wish you well

• Posted

Wow you hit the treble jackpot Walter.

You don't say if you have symptoms of B12 deficiency.

• Posted

I would get the spray version and spray under the tongue at least four times per day . It is non toxic and so you cannot overdose . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.