Hiatus Hernia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Morning all. I have suffered with acid reflux for at least the last 6 months with it getting progressively worse during that period. I have also had pain in my left shoulder and left hand side of my upper back (just below my shoulder blade) making it impossible for me to sleep laid flat (I thought i was getting another frozen shoulder but the pain is different) then 7 weeks ago I stopped eating. Within 24 hours I went from eating anything and everything to not wanting anything at all. 2 weeks later and over 1/2 stone lighter, i decided it was best to go to the docs. This took another week for the appointment by which time I had lost another 1/2 stone. She referred me for an urgent gatroscope which I had a week later and the results show inflamation from throat to stomach and beyond and a small (2cm) hiatus hernia. I was given Omaperazole which sorted the acid reflux. I was then sent for a CT scan as they were worried bout the dramatic weight loss (luckily I could afford to lose the weight but I was getting very weary by now having gone from 13 st 12 to 11 st 10 in this time), results in 2 weeks. I have had no sickness or diarhea but I have had serious pain in my back and chest if I eat meat, I have cosequently given up all meat. Some wheat products give me bad indigestion but not all. My question - can such a small Hiatus Hernia cause such huge problems? Are these symptoms normal for H H or could it be Gall Bladder problems as this has also been mentioned. I have asked all these questions but get very vague answers from doctors. I am getting a bit down now as I sleep (sort of) in a reclining chair and feel exhausted due to not eating properley. Any tips gratefully received.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good morning My gall bladder pain was on my right side beneath my ribs and my shoulder. Fatty meats would flare it up. I had vomitting and no diarrhea; that was the clue for my doc.

My hh came after my gall bladder surgery. At times it didnt matter what I ate I would get sick. Now I stick to small meals. I have been on Omaperazole for years and trying to wean off of it. Taking mylanta helps if I get a flare up. Thank God I have my life back. Sounds like you have good doctors. I hope and pray you feel better soon!!

• Posted

Thank you for that and so glad your getting sorted. What is Mylanta? Is it prescription only? I was told eat little and often but i`m actually scared to eat as so many things make me feel so ill and i am in pain for hours afetrwards. I seem to be ok with fish and fruit and veg`s so i`ll stick with it, never been so `healthy` really!. We have always joked about me absolutely never being anorexic but the rate i`m going its not a joke any more! Had a mass of bloods done and nothing showed. Hope the CT results come up trumps. Hope you continue well with your recovery.
    • Posted

Mylanta is sold over the counter in the United States. It contains aluminum hydroxide, and magnesium hydroxide. I had terrible gas in my stomach when i ate so a nurse recomended getting the mylanta with simethicone. I suffered with nausea so i was given ondansetron by prescription. The combo worked wonders for me. Do you have any heart related episodes with your attacks?
    • Posted

Ah right, I'll have to ask the doc about that one but don't have a problem with bloating/gas nor any heart issues either. 

• Posted

Sorry you are having problems with HH. I've a small HH (they never gave a size) and some other digestive conditions including gallstones, which the drs are blaming for my symptoms and I am supposed to have had an op for this in April, but due to drs strikes and staff issues, thay have put it off many times and I've been in limbo all year since Nov last.

?I feel some of my symptoms are due to HH as I've seen so many with similar on here, but the drs say it should only cause reflux at most! I could not eat much and only a few foods for months and still not right, lots of left side pains as well as some right that they say is Gb and pain over all abdo at times, nausea, bloating, dizziness, unable to sleep, tired, feeeling fluey, adrenaline rushes. Rarely get actual reflux or heartburn though I did severely a few years ago and the Gp just gave anti acids then and did not seem to be interested further.

?I have a wedge pillow to sleep elevated and I eat small meals of a few foods and do exercises aimed at helping the symptoms. I take lots of supplements as I was low in vit D and not eating properly. I've had various therapies as well.

?I seemed to fit the symptoms for small intestine bacterial overgrowth, so I have probiotics and take oregano oils caps. This has reduced symptoms so I can cope though things are not anywhere near cured and I guess if the gallstones are part of the scenario, I cannot expect otherwise until these are dealt with.

?You will know more when your CT results are in - I had to wait 5 weeks for mine and nearly went crazy with worry waiting, but nothing too worrying came up, just the things mentioned and a small diverticula despite feeling like I was fading away over Christmas and my blood tests being pretty good overall.

?I hope you get your answers soon as it is a miserable thing having these digestive complaints which all mimic one another making diagnosis really tricky and they don't always have any easy answers even then. Take care and keep posted.

• Posted

Morning Cynthia. Thank you so much for your reply and sorry you have been so poorly. A lot of the symptoms you describe I recognise but as you say I shall wait for the results . Having a bad day today with back pain so feeling a bit fragile. I have a stack of pillows in bed but have to alternate between that and the sofa as poor hubby gets disturbed a lot (poor man has put up with a lot from me the last 3years due to various injuries and ailments and as we work for ourselves he has carried me through some really low times). Low vitamin D levels were picked up from bloods so I will get a supplement, thank you for reminding me. Take care of yourself. Xx
    • Posted

The adrenaline rushes are terrible! They landed me in the emergency room many times with high blood pressure, elevated heart rate, nausea, shaking. They ran all kinds of heart and brain tests and all was normal. They said I was having panic attacks and prescribed antidepressants. I chose not to take them.

I think it has to do with how the HH effects the vegus nerve.

The acid medications inhibit the absorption of vitaminD. Ive started taking the gummy version of vitamins, easy to digest.

I thank God I have not had a severe attack in 7 months.!

I stay away from alcohol and chocolate.

Hang in there it will get better,

• Posted

Ooh sounds scary. Not had any of those symptoms and hope I don't. I have found I can't drink alcohol apart from the odd half glass of fizz which doesn't seem to bother me too much and small amounts of chocolate seem ok too. Have started the supplements so will see how that goes. Look after yourselves everyone. Xx

• Posted

A Hida scan will tell what percentage your gallbladder is functioning at. I had an endoscope which showed that I had a HH but I hat lots of other symptoms and felt horrible. Ended up that my gallbladder wasn't working. I ended up having it removed and feel much better. A lot of the acid reflux Meds are not good for you and will cause u not to be able to come off of them. We do natural alternatives. I have gotten lots of relief from George's Aloe Water. No more acid reflux if I drink it before meals and bed. Best wishes... Get a Hida Scan. wink

• Posted

Thank you so much. Very helpful. I will discuss with the consultant and will look into alternatives. Xx
    • Posted

I just reread that you said you had gallbladder surgery so you must have had it removed. A Hida scan is only if you still have your gallbladder. I, too have suffered a lot of what everyone is stating they have. I had a hysterectomy, apendectomy, ovary removed, hernia repaired and a hiatal hernia diagnosed. I felt horrible since last September. Finally had a doctor listen to me and run all my thyroid test. Ran T3. T4 and TSH. Started me on

Armour Thyroid and now I think I'm going to live. wink Hope all of you get some relief soon! The George's Aloe water( u can get on Amazon ) which is natural is awesome for hiatal hernias! I do t have acid reflux at all anymore.

• Posted

Not had any surgery that was another lady. Had thyroid tests but apparently not that. Got them a bit flummoxed so hoping the CT results will shed light. I will try the aloe water as soon as the docs find something concrete then i can look better into self management. Take care. xx
  • Posted

Suggest a ph probe and a motility study done...I suffered with similar symptons had HH repair and Nissen Fundoplication done after these studies indicated the exact root of the problem with no more guessing     good luck    liz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.