Thyroid? I need some help. Going to doctor Friday.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 8 months post pardum. Since about 6 weeks after having my baby I get these bouts of severe fatigue, vibrating inside, muscle twitches all over my body, nausea, severe anxiety, loose stools, muscle aches and pains that move around, short cycles but very painfu heavy periods. My doctor keeps telling me it's anxiety and offering zoloft. Some days, even weeks I feel ok,then out of nowhere they hit me like a ton of bricks again which is why I don't think it's anxiety. Does this sound like thyroiditis? Its the only thing that comes close for me. Im so tired all the time I don't know what to do.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

After I had my daughter 20 years ago, I had all those symptoms and the worse was the anxiety. I didn't know anything about thyroid diseases. They put me on sertraline because they were convinced I only had anxiety. I now have Graves' disease and a multi nodular thyroid. I'm convinced I had a problem with my thyroid back then. Do not back down with your doctors, thyroid disease goes misdiagnosed every single day. I've been on anti depressants for a long time now and I am waiting to get my thyroid out. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

I would definitely ask my doc to do thyroid tests, i.e. TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.  As well, I would ask to get my vitamin D level, Magnesium and Carnitine levels checked.  
  • Posted

Hello Alia   My mother developed graves disease after having my brother 1959 she was lucky as our old GP knew all about thyroid diseases. In 1988 I developed Graves disease my my GP had no knowledge of the disease and put my sytmtoms down to the change of life it was only when I saw another DR at the practice all hell broke loose as I had gone into a Thyrotic Storm and nearly died. Make sure you get all the right tests done there seems to be two blood tests one more expensive than the other. Unfortunately they seem to put anxiety down with all new mums ask for a second opinion and take someone with you to your appointments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.