Mirtazapine - permanent side effects (?) and insomnia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Dear All

I was on Mirt for about 7 months including tapering down from 15mg.  Did so gradually to 3.75mg in the end. I had side effects of dry mouth and dry eyes and it seemed to stop working so I came off it having spoken to the doctor

That was about 3 months ago.

I still have the dry eyes and dry mouth problems when I thought these has gone away - they came back.  I am now concerned that these are permanent. Has anyone experienced permanent side effects from Mirt such as these?

I also have chronic insomnia.  Maybe 10 hours sleep in the last week.  I can't get to sleep and jerk awake in bed.  Has anyone else experienced long term insomnia from Mirt?  I am worried this may become permanent as well.

Thanks

Paul

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I doubt either will b a permenent effect the insomnia could take a few wks to settle tho
  • Posted

Hi Paul

I came of mirtazapine last November I was on 45mg for about a year. I am currently on duloxetine and since stopping the mirtazapine I have had terrible insomnia. It comes and goes in waves. I have spoken to a number of doctors and they all say it cannot be the mirtazapine causing this but I have never suffered with this before coming of the mirtazapine. Just cannot get to sleep and just lay there for hours. Once I get to sleep I am ok. I wish I had never taken the stuff.

Phenergan has been good to help me through this.

I hope you start to feel better soon. Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah

How long did it take before you started sleeping again?

Are the sleeping waves gradually getting the upper hand?

I used Phenergan and it loses its effect after 28 days and also got bad Gerd from it as it relaxes your throat muscle.

Paul

• Posted

I hate to say Paul I am still getting it but it is definitely not as bad as the first 4 months. I mite have a good week then bam it comes back again. It is v strange. Try to find a pattern but it is just so random .

I use half a sleeping tablet when it gets really bad. I have never had this problem before. I can be awake 20 hrs or more and just don't feel tired. Getting to sleep is the biggest problem. I just cannot drop off. X

• Posted

Hi I have been on mirt plus duloxotene for 2 yrs I made the decision to go cold turkey 2 weeks ago only symptoms I have is dry mouth and dizziness nothing I can't cope with but never heard ov dry eyes being a withdrawal symptom but who knows we are all different I would ask your doctor to be honest

• Posted

Thanks Jayne but I've learnt that the last person to seek advice from is my doctor for this sort of thing.  I think they tell us what they read (which is what Pharma's selective research comes up with)  and if any patient tells them otherwise we are told 'it must be something else'. 

:-(

• Posted

Yes I understand that don't think they have a clue how bad mirt can be ... plus I was told it wasn't addictive I would sooner trust the people on here that actually know

• Posted

Hi Paul & everyone

Unfortunately stopping at 3.75 doesn't seem t be low enough, when tapering its all about letting the brain/body return to homeostatis slowly, by that there seems to be a rule of thumb of tapering no more than 10% per month.  Click on my name and follow the link their for a full informed choice.

Insomnia is the worst symptom, of course, I feel your pain ~ insomnia was the reason I took Mirt' in the first place (tapering now & down to 2.5 mg using a liquid Mirt'wink.  I plan to go down to 0.1 mg ... there is lots of advice about going reallly low if you search this forum for it, if you want any more links am happy to help.  

Jumping off at a higher dose can mean prolonged discontinuation symptoms, yes they come in windows and waves, here today gone tomorrow and then back again, along with fatigue, maybe nausea.  Such a hirrible med to try to wean off.

Dry eyes is on the list too, quite a common one with Mirt I read, hope some of this helps.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

HI Paulo

I am on Mirtazapine since May for 1.5 month 15 MG and then slowly weaning off since 4th of July. Currently on 9Mg. I think the dry eyes and mouth might continue for a little while while for insomnia you can try some Linden and Chamomile mixed tea. For me it is good in the nights when I can not sleep due to the drops of Mirtazapine. Try exercising or long walking around 2-3 hours before sleep and try to keep a good rutine everyday. If you have been off mirt for 3 months i am totally against restarting it. Soon the biological clock will start to function.

In case you are not functional you can try and restart a very low dosage maybe 1.5 or 2 MG and then taper from there after you are stable with very low decrements. 

Keep it tight buddy and good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.