hernia inguinal scrotum

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi , i have an hernia inguinal scrotum in the left side for 6 years , the doctor said that the left tistecul is  relativly atrophic , i never had any pain , i saw only one doctor , shoud i see another one ? 

the hernia is laitly big , is there any risk ??

how to choose the doctor ,

thnx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Well I know you dont want it dropping into the scrotum. My friend is 65 and currently has this problem, and it now looks like he has a soft ball or something a bit larger between his legs and can only wear sweat pants. He is too afraid of the Drs wanting to place mesh inside him. I would def. get a 2nd opinion. It may not hurt now, but it could still cause problems down the road.
  • Posted

Hi I had one done about twenty years ago with mesh,had to have it re done about 4 years ago and he found one the other side (smaller) so did both with mesh, so far so good, if your active, sporty I would say yes, just stick to rehab program and don't over do it, good luck

• Posted

in my case its already droped in the , scrotum is that still easy to repair ?

is one doctor enought ? or i should  see another one to be sure ??

my docter suggested a repair with mesh , what are the complications of this method ? 

• Posted

Can't comment on first item, I think mesh is the standard way, as always depends on surgeon, if you leave may get worse

• Posted

When it's already dropped, and it won't stay up after you've pushed it back in, that's when the hernia tear has gotten big. That's when it starts to hurt after being on your feet for a few hours. If that's the case, it's about time to get it to get it fixed. They make something called a hernia truss, that might help in keeping it from getting any worse. Getting it fixed is probably not as bad as you think. The longer you have it, the bigger it gets, and there are more chances something can go really wrong, even though it may never really hurt. It won't heal itself. Ever.

• Posted

My understanding is that size of inguinal hernia is not actually related to the risk of something going seriously wrong ('strangulation'wink, so you need not worry unduly about that. On the other hand, larger hernias can be more difficult to repair.

Some hernia support garments (eg the flat pad support) should not be worn if the hernia has descended into the scrotum so just read the instructions before using one.

Your GP is not going to force you into having surgery. The choice is yours. There is no harm in getting some advice, and it might help you to know what you do and don't have to worry about!

Best of luck.

• Posted

I'm only speaking from personal experience that there could be other complications from allowing the hernia to get bigger. I had an inguinal hernia for 12 years, and it never really hurt. Maybe just a little, after being on my feet all day, but that would go away after sitting down for a while. In my case, after 11 years, my bladder slid through the tear. It still didn't really hurt, it just changed the way I peed. Bladder sliding hernias are extremely rare (from what I understand) but they can and sometimes do happen. The point I want to make is that there can be other complications from letting the hernia get bigger.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.