Private health care worth it??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Even thought I have been told I have ibs and had tests to rule out crohns etc.. was just wondering if it's worth going private? I am genuinely finding it hard to accept that this is just ibs! For 2 weeks I've had constant yellow water for 'stools', it's been so frequent I can't leave the house and the pain is unreal. The fodmap diet which works for 75% ibs people didn't work for me either, no medication is controlling it either and I've just started a new college course which my ibs is affecting. Feeling like a lost cause sad!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, go private! This is what I am currently doing! After being told by my dr I could have possible bowel cancer I got referred urgent with NHS. Went to my appointment at the hospital and they just spoke to me, said doesn't think it's urgent so will just put on waiting list for an ultrasound scan. I had been upset for 2 weeks worrying what it could be and then to find out with no tests done I'm off the urgent list and have to wait for a ultrasound. So I went private! Within 2 weeks I had a endoscopy and colonoscopy, found out I may have Crohn's.

If I had waited on NHS then I wouldn't even had my ultrasound yet which my private gastroenterologist said wouldn't have done anything anyway as ultrasounds are not the correct scan for bowel issues!

• Posted

I dont think there is much evidence to suggest that the quality of clinical decision making is any better in the provate sector, sure you get quicker care, nice rooms  but nhs actual medical care is pretty good.  If you have had all the tests like colonscopy, bloods etc the you may have to accept the diagnosis and concentrate on living with it. But as Matrk6651 says go back to your gp sometimes you can have amyltiloine (probably wrong spelling) for the pain. 

• Posted

Hi

What test di you have?

Did you have the Calprotectin test?

x

• Posted

I've had blood tests, ultrasound, stool sample and colonoscopy, all came back normal sad no I haven't, what's that? x

• Posted

Hi

Apparently a colonoscopy is the gold standard for colon problems.

The Calprotectin is a stool test.  It measure inflammation.

Anything under 50 is IBS and over 50 is inflammatory bowel disorders.

During your colonscopy, I pressume your doctor took samples looking for inflammation.

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.