biopsy

Posted , 5 users are following.

How is a prostate biopsy done? In my case I had a TURP. Would peices of said prostate that were already resected then be sent to the lab for cancer testing?  I don't know much about this stuff because my dr. never talked to me about it.but I'm curious because another fellow on the site who I am talking to thinks his prostatitis might have come from this.Is it a fairly normal procedure? I have prostatitis, too and wonder if that may have come from the TURP when they resected the prostate and did it from the tissue that was taken out.. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Using pieces that have been resected is the standard way of doing a biopsy.   When I had the Green Laser procedure, there was no biopsy and I was fine with that.  Two months later, I had a follow-up Gyrus TURP and there was a biopsy.  Being 77 years old with normal PSA scores, I wasn't interested in a biopsy.

The  prostatitis often comes with  TURP, with no extra charge until you have to be treated for it.

• Posted

What do you mean by that, Glenn? Did you mean change or charge, my friend? Does everybody get prostatitis after there Turp or does it just happen to some people? I think I had it even before the procedure because my prostate was so swellen up. My life was so normal before this Prostate acted up. !!
    • Posted

Steven,

i had TURP on June 1st. I did not have prostatitis neither before nor after TURP. After surgery doctor prescribes antibiotic for 10 days to prevent post op infection. 

My prostate chips were tested on Ca and it came back positive for Ca, Gleason 6. My follow up biopsy in August was also positive but with higher Gleson score 4+3.

i am scheduled for RALP surgery on November 2nd.

MK

• Posted

Steve, mea culpa.   I meant "charge" and I was trying to be humorous.  My own TURP experience has been so bad for me that I sometime make sarcastic comments like that as a way of coping.

• Posted

Mike, What is RALP? Good Luck and GOD BLESS !

Your friend,

Steve

• Posted

I completely understand, Glenn. I guess we( TURP Patients) need a little humor to cope. We carry a special lot.   

G BLESS. you

STEVE

• Posted

RALP means robotic assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy using da Vinci robot.
  • Posted

I had a cytoscopy cancer biopsy procedure where prostate tissue that appeared to be cancerous was "clipped-out" and sent to pathology...Per that biopsy test and a ct scan, the doc determined I did not have cancer...Later, I had a REZUM that eliminated my prostate tissue that was causing my uretthra obstruction..If your doc didn't perform a separate biopsy procedure as mine did, then, the doc could send prostate tissue removed by the TURP to patholohgy to determine if you had cancer....GOOD LUCK!.....

• Posted

Thats what was done in my case. I just didn't undersrand it. My Dr. never explained anything to me. I'm learning all this on the internet now.Thank GOD for you guys.

I will send another message on here soon. Thank you Mike, Glenn and Randy. Without you guys I would be left out in the dark because I had a urologist who left me in the dark. He never explained anything to me at the time. I guess it's like that with a lot of guys, but I have learned so much on here from you people. Urologists are So cold. It's nice to talk to NORMAL people

Steve

• Posted

I too had less than acceptable experiences with two different urologists. I shopped around and found one, then two who were far better. Nevertheless, still need to take responsibility for my own care and do the research...... books, the internet, and forums like this one that are a true blessing. The uros are just another source of info, to be critically evalutaed and checked against other sources.
    • Posted

see Rich, I didn't have a forum like this one when I visited my urologist. I wish I did though, but with you guys I WILL survive.

Steve

• Posted

How nice would be if everyone would know names of this bad urologists so other could avoid them as a plaque.

MK

• Posted

Yes Sir. That is what I mean. Knowing that might help someone new stay away from bad ones.
    • Posted

It's not always a bad individual. I had seen a urologist for several years who I liked. Then one year, he started acting flippant, like he couldn't be bothered. This continued for a few visits, so I asked him what was going on. Turns out his group had been absorbed by a larger group, and they were now scheduling him for 10 mins with each patient! If he spent 15 min with me, he'd have to make it up somehow with another patient. He said he had considered starting his own smaller group, but that the insurance companies would kill him. I wished him well (truly), and started looking elsewhere. I'm in a relatively rural area with all the local uros in the same group, so I've ended up with a group an hour's drive away, but a lot more than 10 mins for each consultation. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.