Right Elbow Replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Okay, I have a question that nobody else has asked. I want to know if I am going to be able to do my hair and make-up post surgery? I am right handed and I am not ambidextrous at all. The doctor's office called me yesterday and said that my surgery date is set for December 14, 2016. I am trying to anticipate what I will be able to do and what I can't.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

OH man! I have had multiple surgeries on my wrists and have been in this situation before. I learned to be very good with my left, especially now that my right elbow is so bad and basically fused at a 90 degree angle. Very painful and nothing seems to help. Practice now that you have some time.
  • Posted

Hi Maureen,

It took me three weeks to roll my hair and put makeup on. Having juvenile rheumatoid arthritis for 54 years, I can tell you that deep desire plays a prominent role in determining what each of us achieve.

Might I suggest you read my previous posts for a more detailed descriptions of my progress...Sept 30

• Posted

Hi Maureen,

It took me three weeks to roll my hair and put makeup on. Having juvenile rheumatoid arthritis for 54 years, I can tell you that deep desire plays a prominent role in determining what each of us achieve.

Might I suggest you read my previous posts for a more detailed descriptions of my progress...Sept 30 is my 1 month anniversary. Monday morning past was my last pain pill, yesterday day I drove with the aid of an MPD steering wheel assist. Alas, I diverge...the first time I rolled my hair...first, I greatly elevated my elbow above my heart, resting it on a medium size gel ice pack. Next, I combed my hair and sectioned the top. Then I rested my elbow back atop the pillows and ice pack.

This is how I alternated until I had completed the job. It helps to watch something interesting on TV during the process.

Makeup...you will find that the dexterity of you left hand will greatly increase when you become dependent upon it. Chuckle...it is now much quicker to use my left hand that I favor it over my right! Makeup...the two most difficult tasks are liner and mascara. I used a suction cup magnifying mirror stuck to my bathroom mirror for the liner. I rested the heal of my left hand just below the eye and moved the brush without trying to complets the entire lid in pne sweep. I then moved the placement of the heal of my left hand until the job was done. Holding my breath during each stroke helped. When Idid the right eye, I held the liner holder towards the outside of the eye so I could see what I was doing.

Mascara...by trial and error, learned it was best to hold brush in place and then blink the lashes, move the brush and blink the lashes again. To complete the corners, I tirned the wand and used the tip.

Best wishes, Maureen!

• Posted

Maureen,

Might I suggest you read my previous posts for a more detailed descriptions of my progress...Sept 30 is my 1 month anniversary. Monday morning past was my last pain pill, yesterday day I drove with the aid of an MPD steering wheel assist. Alas, I diverge...the first time I rolled my hair...first, I greatly elevated my elbow above my heart, resting it on a medium size gel ice pack. Next, I combed my hair and sectioned the top. Then I rested my elbow back atop the pillows and ice pack.

This is how I alternated until I had completed the job. It helps to watch something interesting on TV during the process.

Makeup...you will find that the dexterity of you left hand will greatly increase when you become dependent upon it. Chuckle...it is now much quicker to use my left hand that I favor it over my right! Makeup...the two most difficult tasks are liner and mascara. I used a suction cup magnifying mirror stuck to my bathroom mirror for the liner. I rested the heal of my left hand just below the eye and moved the brush without trying to complets the entire lid in pne sweep. I then moved the placement of the heal of my left hand until the job was done. Holding my breath during each stroke helped. When Idid the right eye, I held the liner holder towards the outside of the eye so I could see what I was doing.

Mascara...by trial and error, learned it was best to hold brush in place and then blink the lashes, move the brush and blink the lashes again. To complete the corners, I tirned the wand and used the tip.

Best wishes, Maureen!

• Posted

I've had my left (2000) and right (2002) elbow replaced. The pain I was having had become unbearable, so I made the decision to have the surgery. I couldn't do my hair or care for my child like I wanted to. I have had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis(JRA) since age 7 and my right elbow first bothered me at age 18. Receiving a steroid injection to the elbow helped for about 3 years. Then my Rheumatologist tried pain killers. I had the first elbow replacement 7 years later, because I had a lot of bone lost and it caused bone on bone pain.

After the surgery and recovery, I was able to come my hair, cook, and clean. However, I still can not straighten my arms. My right arm is straightens at 90° and my left straightens at about 75°. My surgeon told me that's the best it will get. I've learned to live with it, since the pain is gone... but I'm always looking for advancement for elbow replacement patients.

• Posted

Find a university with a big medical center. They are always up on the latest.

Ask them if revision surgery would be beneficial...ask if resection of the radial heads would help.

My surgeon warned me before hand that I would have to teach my muscles to stretch again. I use elevation and gel ice packs and allow gravity to supply the pull. Each session I first spend 20 minutes in elevation and ice then I spend 5 minutes with gravity pull and 20 minutes elevation and icing followed by 5 more minutes with gravity pull. I also do gravity pulls at every red stop light.

Kind regards

54 years with JRA since age 11

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.