Fluoxetine day 8

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I'm on day 8 on fluoxetine. I've started taking it because my depression got worse after a breakup two years ago.

I still don't see any improvements and I have some of the side effects some mention: mild dizziness, tiredness...

What really botters me is the fact that two days ago I started missing my ex like the first day of the breakup. 

I cannot stop thinking about him and I'm really sad. Today I even saw him driving (or I imagined it was him, at this point I don't know) on my way to work.

My question is: could this be also a side effect, the worsening on my obsession?

Otherwise I'm ok with the side effects.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anamuro,

I know that with anxiety, it can get worse before it gets better when you start fluoxetine - I would think the same applies to depression. I know it's hard but try to hang in there and take each day as it comes. Be kind to yourself and try to keep your mind occupied. This may be a long process, 8 days is still really early. You will find that these forums are SO helpful - they have been a lifesaver for me. Good luck to you. Xx

• Posted

Hi anamuro - I am on day 9 and I have definitely been having side effects too so you are not alone in that. It can get worse before it gets better but I see it as the medication is the help I need so I'm doing the right thing by sticking with it. It can take a few weeks to really kick in, and it's definitely hard giving it the time it needs. I took Flu for 4+ years in the past and it turned my life around so I am looking forward to feeling that good again. As Jennifer said, be kind to yourself and know that there will be up and down days, it's just the nature of the beast. Everyone on this forum has been nothing but supportive so if you ever have any questions, need encouragement or just want to share how your day is going, please do. We are all here for each other and it's great, I'm so glad I found this group. We are all in it together and it's nice to have someone that really understands.

• Posted

Hi Anamuro, this is the side affects of the meds but it will calm down. Take it day by day, and you will see that you start to feel better. God bless
  • Posted

Thank you so much to everyone!!

I wasn't sure if this was a side effect or a worsening in my obsession.

Today's been worse. I'm on day 9th

• Posted

I'm sorry today has been harder. Typically, weeks 2-3 are the hardest, so try to hang on a little longer! Xx

• Posted

Hi do you think that it's the same with increasing the dose?? I have just increased to 60 two week and ago and my anxiety has gone up!

• Posted

Hi Milliemoo,

I'm sorry you're having trouble. I have read that any increase is like basically starting over, so you can get all of the same side effects again. Hopefully it won't last as long this time around for you. Xx

• Posted

Hello,

Im on day 13 and still feeling really low. My weekend was somehow ok but today I don't feel like going to work (and I work with toddlers).

My mood is really bad overall. Anyone can relate?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi anamuro - it's hard to be upbeat when you just don't feel like yourself. I know exactly what you mean, I found out this morning I have ANOTHER heart condition (in addition to the one that I already knew about) that I'll probably have to deal with for the rest of my life. So I understand where you're coming from. It's hard when you're in a position that you always have to do so much for other people. Try to hang in there and not be too hard on yourself.

• Posted

Hi smorse, I'm sorry to hear about your recent news. Will you need to take medication?

It's day 16 and meh. Last night I had racing thoughts and nervousness. Today it's the same depressive state as the last two weeks.

• Posted

Hi anamuro. Thank you so much for your concern. At this point they're trying to get me situated on blood thinner (warfarin) so they won't give me anti-arrythmic medication yet. I don't see the cardiologist until the 9th so I guess that's when we'll decide. As far as I can tell the only other option is shocking the heart back into rhythm, which I don't really want to do but my grandmother had that and it worked great. Doctor said it might even go away on its own so, here's hoping. Thank you so much for asking <3 I hope you start feeling better soon. Today is day 17 for me and I can't tell if how I'm feeling is from the Prozac, the heart thing or what. I definitely feel calmer than I did yesterday (at least at the moment) and nobody told me to stop taking the flu so I'm trying to stick it out. Hang in there, remember we're in this together xo

• Posted

Hi smores,

I'm glad it's nothing too serious and you have chances it'll go away without any procedure.

How are you feeling?

I'm one month on 10 mg and four days ago increased to 15 mg. I'll increase to 20 mg in a couple days but I'm feeling so low right now! I just want to sleep. I'm having social phobia lately and I don't want to talk with anyone.

At least my mood swings have decreased but still...a little disappointed with this medication. I thought I'd feel better by now.

• Posted

Hi - from what I understand the tiredness is a common side effect. I'm on 20mg day 35 but honestly I haven't been thinking much about it with all my recent heart stuff. Turns out they're going to give me a surgical procedure called an ablation, the doctor seems very confident it will fix the problem. The Prozac can take a very long time to work especially if you have taken it in the past. Stick with it and every day starts to get a little better. When you feel like you need to rest, do that, and if you don't feel like being social then don't feel like you have to. You've got to be easy on yourself when you just don't feel up to it.

• Posted

Hello Smorse,

I haven't heard of that procedure. I wish you all the best, you'll sure be fine wink

Today I increased to 20 mg. I'm surprised I'm almost in week 6 and I haven't noticed any difference yet.

Please keep me posted as how the ablation goes.

All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.