Is remeron more sedating under 7.5?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I can;t seem to get a good answer for this.  Hope you can help.  I am on 6.7mg of remeron a night for insomnia but this stuff is making me a complete zombie and dizzy, awful feeling.  I am also in Benzo W/D so I can;t taper yet.  Anyway is the 6.7 more sedating since it is a lower dose than 7.5?  Or maybe should I go back to 7.5?  I just want to be the most comfortable I can be while being stuck on this stuff fo rnow.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The lower the dose the more sedating. I'm on 7.5 and it's far more sedating than the 15 I took

• Posted

Hi Paul  My husband was on 15mg and although he had a great sleep  was a complete zombie the following day. Now been reduced to 7.5mg but sleep not quite so good !
    • Posted

That I know.  But is it more sedating under 7.5?  Nobody seems to know and my doc doesnt think so bu he doesn;t know about the meds that much...Not even my pharmasist.  They look at me like Im insane for asking.

• Posted

I take 15 mg mirtazapine at bedtime. It helps me sleep and takes a while for me to wake up. Once I'm up I'm okay. I have read recently though that lower doses do have a stronger sedationg effect. You should talk to your doctor and tell him how you are feeling. Until then you should keep taking your prescription as directed to avoid any bad withdrawal symptoms.

Let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

My pdoc does not know about the med that much, nobody seems to.  I am just wondering if anything under 7.5 is more sedating?  Wondering if 3.75 is more sedating than 7.5?  If  knew then I would up my dose if it is less sedating or just keep weening off in the future
  • Posted

Hey there Iamsickofthis we've corresponded on benzo buddies before. Sorry you aren't getting answers still.

You were only on benzos for a short while and so I don't believe you should still be experiencing w/d from that as your jump date was way before mines and I was taking benzos longer than you. I also used mirtazapine to taper off benzo.   I started at 7.5 mg for a week but it reved me up during the day so I dropped to 3.75 mg immediately so my body didn't have time to notice the drastic drop. Stayed there for a good 3 weeks  till my benzo jump date and another 2 weeks after to ride out any acute w/d effects from the benzos. Yes the 3.75 mg was still very sedating for me but I'm down to 2.5mg now after 1 month out from my benzo jump date and I still get 7-8 hours of sleep even if it is broken up by night sweats, having to use bathroom and bizzare dreams. I Made the decision to lower my dose because I'm sleeping in a little too late in the morning. But even at 2.5 mg still needing to sleep in so will be decreasing again until I can find a dose that will allow me to get up earlier and not require so much sleep that way I can finally start thinking about find a day job again. 

But what I notice is the longer you are on mirtazapine the less of that drowsy feeling you would get in the first hour of taking it starts to go away. You can start taking it earlier and still get productive tasks done before lying down. I don't get hit with that drowsy feeling anymore so I know that part of me getting sleep is me partnering with mirtazapine and my thoughts about sleep. It's like slowly taking the training wheels off. If I get too anxious about sleep or have lots on my mind then the dose I'm currently on does jack sh*t. 

I don't know if you will initially get that sedative effect at 3.75mg since you've been at above 6.7 mg for awhile now. You'll have to just view it as training wheels coming off slowly and do .5 cuts every week so you don't notice. 

• Posted

HI!!

Hey thnaks for the reply... was it less sedating as you went down form 7.5?  Say 5.0... was that a bit less sadating than 7.5 or more?  As of now everytime I try to taper even the smallest amount I am in a horrible place next day, i just dont get it.  I want to taper so bad but I am going insane.

• Posted

I was only at 7.5mg 5 days and then dropped down to 3.75mg immediately. There was no transition between the two doses. I didn't give my body time to adapt to the 7.5mg. So yes the 3.75 still was very sedative to me as I was still getting used to mirtazapine. But as mentioned the longer you go the less sedative it becomes but it still is working on balancing out your seratonins long term so that your insomnia becomes less of a problem.

• Posted

My DP/DR is unreal.... I hallucinate, not major but matrixing stuff.  Head pressure is intense.  Dizzyness.  Its weird becasue my body feels ok but I want to replace my head.  It is just all really intense,  My anxietyis so bad its crazy.  Thats the only thing that is bad for my body is the anxiety buzzing
    • Posted

Im also thinking of maybe going up on the dose to see if it is less sedating.  My pdoc is no help at all.  He suggest i do what I want.  ugh

• Posted

I don't know your history of anxieties. Dp/dr is a symptom at times for panic disorder. Have you suffered long wirh any of these disorders? Are you undergoing any unusual stressors prior to benzos and mirtazapine that still are unresolved?

• Posted

I havealways had generalized anxiety with a some dp/dr. Mos of my life, that was why I got on benzos to try to help it.....Now looking back it wasn;t that bad.   As of now I am packing to move accross th country.. back home by family which I was looking forward to, to be honest.  I get it is a tress but I am almost imobile.... I get worse daily and I don;t know why...... that is whyI assume mirtazapine.
    • Posted

Hi  Sorry to butt in to this conversation but how long before bed is it best to take it ?  Many thanks
    • Posted

You are undergoing stress with the logistics of the move. obsessing about mirtazapine and also having taken benzos is adding to it. Your CNS is taking a hit right now which is why symptoms are hightened. If you truly want mirtazapine to help with your anxieties and Dp you need to be above 15mg. Otherwise it's just making you sedated during the day as you mentioned which is probably feeling a little like Dp as well. If you truly want to be off mirtazipine then start your weekly taper as I mentioned since i know you've only been on it couple months know that when you make your cut its just your heiggtened anxieties/dp and anticipation aren't really a result of your tapering but the stress of the process.

• Posted

Ifyou've just started this dose you will notice effects within 30-45 minutes so plan on a bedtime of 1 hr after you've taken it.

• Posted

Ok thanks. It's hubby taking it and he's been on lower dose since last  Wednesday but last night didn't work so much as previously . Took tonights does around 20 mins ago so waiting ...............

• Posted

Thanks, I am going to cool out for a week and try again.  I appreciate your help. 
    • Posted

I notice some nights work faster than others depending on if I just ate etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.