Upset stomach every morning for years?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am an 18 year old female and I'm desperately hoping that someone is in a similar boat/can shed some light on the subject!

For the past 10 or so years I have struggled with an upset stomach but only in the mornings. Nothing makes it go away, lots of people suggest drinking water or eating to settle my stomach.

Over the last 6 months it has gotten increasingly worse (often visiting the bathroom up to 10 times???) and I've visited the doctor several times. I have tried two different medications for IBS (although stool/blood samples came back clear) and seen no change. I have also tried a FODMAP free diet again to no avail. 

I am worried it may be caused by anxiety but I cannot pinpoint any triggers and I don't have any coping mechanisms. 

Unfortunately, I'm also now suffering from depression due to it's impact on my sports and relationships that I can't maintain due to constant upset stomach and cramps. 

The strangest part of this is that I recently visited Bali for a week and while I away I experienced very mild/almost no symptoms while I was away but as soon as I returned home it was back! 

If it is anxiety, can anyone suggest any ways to deal with the physical symptoms?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would recommend something to take your mind off things. I crochet and it has worked to help my depression. It takes your mind off things and when you finish something you feel a sense of achievement. It's also nice to make things for other people. Something like kalms may help.

• Posted

Have you been diagnosed with IBS?  If so, all your tests will have shown up negative.  Fodmap does work for many people, but some get no benefit.  You may have to try several antispasmodics to find a suitable one for you.  I tried two before I got relief.

Anxiety seems to be your trigger and will make symptoms worse.  Not everyone has food triggers.  My IBS was triggered by anxiety but not food,  My anxiety is normal for me because I have Aspergers so I did not recognise the link until my doctor asked about it and I realised how stressed I had been before the onset of symptoms.  When you went on holiday, you were probably more relaxed, and so your symptoms reduced.  When you came back home, you would be back to the normal stresses and so this would trigger your symptoms again.  When I go on holiday, my IBS greatly improves, when I go back home, symptoms slowly creep back.

My coping mechanism is to avoid the things that cause me stress.  If I can't avoid them, I get stomach pain either immediately or as a delayed reaction.  Then I have to take Buscopan to avoid a full blown flare up.

• Posted

Nothing in particular causes me stress so it's impossible to avoid it! I could plan to spend the entire day at home by myself and I'll still feel sick to my stomach so I don't know what to do about that! 

Maybe I'll have to try a few more antispasmodics and find one that works for me

• Posted

If you are suffering from depression and are anxious about your symptoms, this can be enough to trigger stomach pain and running to the loo.  Hopefully, when you find an antispasmodic that works, the depression will lift once your symptoms improve.  The lack of diagnosis made my anxiety and symptoms worse, but once I got answers, I got my pain under control and my health anxiety disappeared.
  • Posted

have you tried eliminating dairy? i only ask because for a lot of people who find their symptoms go away on holiday its because whilst theyre away they dont drink tea/coffee or have cereal for breakfast etc. then they come back to all the dairy and wham!

you could also try listening to meditation/relaxation cd's/podcasts before you go to bed to aid relaxation

• Posted

I have dairy in Britain and while on holiday in Italy.  I have a continental style breakfast in both countries which includes croissants and pastries and I drink coffee and tea in both locations and it has no effect on my symptoms, My stomach flares up when I come back to Britain because I come back to all the stresses I left behind.
    • Posted

I have tried eliminating dairy and while I saw no improvement I don't have a lot of dairy anyway. I don't drink tea or coffee or have cereal at home but while I was away I had the occasional ice cream and I was fine so I don't think it's dairy!

• Posted

Perhaps try some relaxation techniques such as listening to music, do something you enjoy or even start a new hobby. Even gentle walks may help to take your mind off your symptoms.  You may find your symptoms will get better if you are more relaxed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.