Day 9 on 20mg fluoxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there everybody I'm a guy and have started having hot flushes panicky type feelings today a total of 5 at different times lasting around 20 seconds , just wonder is this a side effect and will go away given time or is it a reaction to the medication, just don't like the hot panicky feeling, any info greatly appreciated 😀

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That will be your cortisol levels fluctuating, it's our flight or fight hormone which is effected greatly when we have anxiety. When you feel them coming on try deep breathing, breath through your mouth hold for 4 seconds breath out through nose, do this 3 times. Hypnotherapy apps are very good for panic attacks (this is what they are) Just remember they won'the harm or kill you so just go with them and try to relax, hard I know but you will be OK give it time

• Posted

Thanks Woo3353 I will try the breathing,hopefully these panic attacks dissappear over next few weeks, on previous meds I never had this before, but they pooped out that's why im started on fluoxetine 20 mg, is the 1st 2_3 weeks really bad with side effects?

• Posted

Worse side effects generally disappear after 3 - 4 weeks that being panic attacks, adrenalin rushes, sickness, nausea and headaches, some minor side effects last around 12 weeks (yawning, dry mouth etc) this is what I experienced but everyone is different.

Now I feel fine and I am glad I took them. Generally calmer I do still get the odd mild anxiety / panic attacks but it's going good so far

• Posted

Thanks Woo3353,your help greatly appreciated ,I'm day 11 now, diarrhea is really getting me down 4 days now, hope this goes away soon, just feeling unwell no mood, feeling like anxiety and depression is worse, it's a tough 1 now going nead something for anxiety, is it really this hard on start up of fluoxetine 20 mg

• Posted

Yes the first 2-3 weeks are the worse for side effects, when I ask myself now would go through all that again taking flouextine and side effects? Yes I would to feel like I do now then it's way worth it

• Posted

I have been on fluoxetine for a week and im having really bad side effects, i sleep all day i have no energy, my anxiety is even worse and my head is so dizzy!! Is this normal???
    • Posted

It's not normal or nice but it is normal for flouextine takers to experience these side effects and others. They will get less and less in severity and usually around week 10 you should feel the full benefits. Try not to fight how you feel, if you feel tired the sleep, if you feel anxious try to breathe through it let the medication do what they has too it won'the last forever and week by week you will notice it's is getting better.

• Posted

This site is so useful for reassurance i feel as though i was prescribed these and left on my own to deal with the side effects without knowing where to go for help!!

I really cant function i sleep all day not eating much at all drinkin small amounts of fluid. I feel so strange in my head. Im tryin to take each day as it comes and hopefully this will all pass!!!

• Posted

Yesterday was a good day, just lil bit anxiety, today day 16 started off good but as the day went on things changed, just out of the blue my anxiety went through the roof,for no reason , ,then feeling so depressed worse than ever, had to take 4mg diazepam helped for lil while , but just have to go with it, just 1 these evenings, can't understand it,is this what to expect, feeling so worried now,, fingers crossed tomorrow is better day thanks for helping me,your advice greatly appreciated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.