Heart palpitations and ectopic beats

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi im 25 years old and been suffering with heart palpitations and eptopic beats for over a year now had ecg and blood work done all came bk normal but im so convinced i have a major heart problem i suffer with bad anxiety and are non stop thinking about my heart its driving me insane with worry. Keep thinking im goin to pass out or worse have a heart attack. Feel like it flutters sometimes and goes irregular convinced ive got afib dosent help ive download a app that detects irregular heartbeat and boom this morning said it was irregular i have not stopped worrying so scared can the test be disturbed with movement? Wondering if i moved a little to much has anyone else used these apps?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Naimi 😊

I have Palpitations and Dropped/missed or skipped beats, which I've been told are extr or premature beats. But it is the pause that is noticed, people like you and I whi suffer Anxiety notice these alot more. But, even the fittest of people have palpitations or irregular beats, but generally go unoticed. I have the heart flutter or thuds, or my heart on the odd occasion flip flops that much, its like its trying to get comfy. And like you I've made a fair few trips to A&E with worry had the Paramedics out, and after Bloods, ECG Scans and X-rays. All came back clear, since being on 50mg Sertraline for Twelve weeks I do feel 98% myself, also your digestive system can be a factor in Anxiety, have you ever noticed any loud heavy flatulence or regular Flatchulance (sorry if it seems embarrassing) but it is a known fact. If everything back clear then there's nothing to fret about, as for Apps (which I used to constantly use) delete it, it'll make you worse. And they are not 100% accurate, the slower the heart beats 56 - 67bpm the healthier it is, some can reach 70-80bpm and is classed as fine. Your Heart just doesn't weaken overnight, and I'm sure the Dr's have asked you about any heart problems in the family or SDS (sudden death syndrome) they did with me before the tests. After everything and going through and discussing my symptoms with the Dr, he diagnosed health Anxiety aka white coat syndrome. Im sure your fine and there are people on here who have our symptoms if not worse, and they're fine and are living normal lives. Anxiety is horrible and there is a bucket list upon bucket list of symptoms, you will get loads of advice and support on here Naomi, and most of all reassurance from those who know more on this experience than me xx

• Posted

Thanks for replying its nice to hear im not alone with this im a sucker for searching the Internet for answers to only find things to send me in to a state of panic! Like now i have in my mind that ive 100% got afib! I do suffer with tummy issues witch doctors have said its IBS But its funny u say that most of the time before these fluttering sensations start my tummy sounds like its full of bubbles on my right side cud this be related?

Xx

• Posted

Sorry ment i get the gassy feeling on my left side not right

Xx

• Posted

Yes it could Naomi, my tummy at times is exactly like that. And don't use Google Aka dr Google we call it on here, it's the worst thing to do. The heart is an independent muscle we have no control over, and is the only muscle to have a electrical current. It beats tirelessly so no doubt there will be a natural glitch here or a tweak there. The human body is an amazing biological unit that can not only repair itself, but cut of blood supply to limbs and shut down organs to preserve life. Even Cardiologists, as much as they know the ins and outs of our hearts. It still has secrets to discover. If I could upload extracts about your experience I would, to give you piece of mind x

• Posted

Thank you ill try my best with the goggle thing its definitely out of hand at the moment just wish this anxiety wud leave i get the feeling im goin to pass out the moment i walk into a store and dread the thought of goin in the 1st place as im worrid my heart is goin to stop at any min i have to leave just all feels like a vicious circle at the moment

Xx

• Posted

Hi, it's awful to go through this I have myself for over a year. I had skips and flutters and then one day it carried on beating really fast I had to call an ambulance, I was petrified but the paramedics reassured me I wouldn't die although my heart rate was 240bpm and I kept going faint, I had to go to hospital to have an injection to slow it back down.

You might wonder why I'm telling you this but I've got what is called SVT it's not life threatening and you can just deal with it yourself if you wish. However I believe that getting myself so worked up with anxiety over my heart caused the SVT, yes I may have got an extra pathway in my heart which can short circuit but anxiety played a huge role.

Your heart is such a strong muscle it can sustain a hell of a lot, and now a days people surviving heart attacks is brilliant. What you are feeling is so so common for people with anxiety and now you have felt these sensations your going to concentrate on them more, therefore feeling more, even though sometimes when you think your hearts had a wobble it's just your mind playing tricks on you.

What I am saying is do not worry, you've been checked and are healthy, if there was a slight heart condition you wouldn't die from it, you will be absolutely fine. You can call an ambulance if you need to but don't let this rule your life it ruled mine for a year and now I've took control and I'm living my life how I should be!

Please message me anytime I know exactly how you feel and having the reassurance helps wonders x

• Posted

In a nutshell you have done all the right things, are diagnosed without a serious problem so stop worrying as that only makes things worse. Unbeknown until I had a high brow MRI I have had a heart attack and have a damaged heart muscle but i am 63  and through work had a stressful working life.  I live with the knowledge can get a bad spell of palpitations but if I have learned nothing else I do know worrying doesnt help at all! The palps come and go and when they are gone I feel like they will never return but they do and I cope with them. I been through the ' off to A&E ' bit but now stay calm and the palps pass sooner. AFIB isnt the odd palp but continuous irregular heartbeat perhaps with a very fast heart rate but not always. . If your APP works then use it to monitor but you are looking for a continuous irregularity but dont react to a few dozen missed beats. Am told Cardiologists do not get unduly concerned unless we have more than 3600 ectopics in 24 hours. An amazing figure as we panic if we have a few dozen and a fluttering feeling.   Have you been given a 24 hour halter monitoring test? Might put your mind at rest. A cardiologist could feel not warranted but explain you worry and hope it would help you deal with this.  I am sure you will be fine just dont wind yourself up.  I've been there and its the worse thing to do. good luck 

• Posted

By way should have mentioned I am also sure my bad spells coincide with my Hiatus Hernia playing up ( in digestive / stomach system) .  The same nerve, the Vena Cava, controls the digestive, heart and liver systems and i believe if irritated all can be affected. Your latter note suggests this might be same for you. Again when happens I eat small and regular and try eating foods that are less symptom forming. For me thats less acid foods e.g tomatoes, chocolate, fatty foods, alcohol etc. Again Goid Luck. 
  • Posted

hi Naomi sorry to hear about your symptoms,i feel same like what you feel---till now i have done alot of tests ecgs one ecg show slow heart  rate don,t know confirm that its pause or not but my cardiologist suggest 24 hours holter ecg to monitor my heart beats result was normal and also done 2 echo and blood urine chest x rays every thing comes normal------i feel hot sensation in my left side chest ,fear scared if i hear that some one has cancer heart attack or travelling by plane  gives me panic attacks-----i burp alot i have done endoscopy,ultra sounds colonscopy every thing is normal ------doc think i have acid reflux and ibs + anxiety ==== i feel palpitation, afib , then all of sudden i start burping -----i feel like  afib some time in my foot in my arms but left side chest give me panic------i am currently using propranolol 10 mg 3 times a day + lexapro 10 mg 1 tablet  + famitidine 10 mg 1 tablet for my acid reflux-------it help but i am using it from one week but still feel heaviness and tightness some times---------try to use medicne which will calm your mind -------use prozac  tablet  or lexapro +  propranolol---its will help you anxiety nd keep you calm

• Posted

Hi Naomi, the best you can do is stop worrying and go and see a cardiologist who is going to do quite a few tests. I have bought a device called Kardia and there not only tells you that you have AFIB but also runs a ECG, which the same you get at any A&E. You are probably on panic attack mode, so it is worth going to see your GP. Take care

• Posted

Hey Naomi sorry to hear what you're going through but I can definitely sympathize with you when you don't know what's wrong with you it does cause very serious anxiety mine started 8 years ago then went away and now it's back again and I don't know if it's the same thing as before my heart went from beating 60 something into the eighties and nineties so it could be the same I was diagnosed with tachycardia 8 years ago was put on medicine everything went away my feeling sick my shortness of breath cuz I was in the hospital getting really I didn't sleep for two months couldn't get up off my couch once the medicine kicked in my anxiety and everything went away now eight years later going through it again I could do with it anxiety without the tightness in my throat my head that's what makes it worse just hang in there keep doing your daily routine no matter how hard it is and it will ease up here in there but I was still have test done make sure that my heart is ok

• Posted

Hi Naomi I know exactly what you're going through I have IBS too and I have the gastro reflux really bad you can hear that acid swishing around in her my doctor heard it my gastroenterologist didn't give me anything for it but my family doctor did still working on it I got burning in my stomach and my chest 9 years ago I got tachycardia and heart palpitations now my medicine doesn't seem to be working my heart palpitates constantly and even though I stay calm my body gets a nervous wreck on another medicine now been on it almost a week palpitations ease but not gone still sends my body into a wreck they all try to chalk it up to anxiety which palpitations cause shortness of breath and anxiety right now that's medicine slows it down a little but don't last until my next day off I'm going to hundred milligrams 1 time a day so I just called my heart doctor I'll probably should have told him yesterday but I was trying to give it the whole week nobody got back to me yet so if they don't I'll be calling in the morning I force myself to get off the couch always feel like I'm going to throw up my heart's just palpitating and I'm suffering but be patient keep bothering your doctor because they can't give you something for the palpitations and don't give up I go through it every day all day and I'm sick of it and I know you are too if you ever need to talk I'm here

• Posted

Look at my entry on ectopics might reassure you x Shamrock .

• Posted

I was diagnosed with palpitations when I was 25 and was in a stressful job. Am a healthy woman and exercise a fair bit and am normal bmi. Also have a low pulse (57 resting) and low blood pressure. The cardiologist I saw said to cut out caffeine which I did and the palpitations fortunately stopped. 13 years later I have noticed (because of my fit bit) my heart rate fluctuating all over the place. Had an ecg for a week and ultrasound, treadmill test done and everything mechanically fine but have been diagnosed with bigeminy (extra beats) which I think are also called ectopics. Sometimes I get an awful lot. Been really carefully observing them compared to my diet and exercise. I still don't drink caffeine drinks and I don't eat many processed foods or any fizzy drinks. Have found that when I exercise I tend to feel better and they go away. Wheat doesn't have any influence on them nor alcohol (am a regular drinker 1-2 glasses wine a night). If I eat a lot of sugar on a blow out (like a massive bag of maltesers) the heartrate goes through the roof and I feel tired. Sometimes my pulse could be above 100 just sitting down and 145 if walking slowly. Have done research and several people claim magnesium supplements help them and also pilates/yoga breathing for 10-20mins a day. But think sugar is the trigger for me so will be cutting back this year and trying to be healthy diet and exercise wise. Hope you find some answers too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.