pernicious animea with having vitiligo

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had noticed segmental vitiligo in 2011 and thereafter dr did my blood test and said i have pa too as i was also having symptoms of pa. My age is 21.My question is : is there any chance of developping any other autoimmune disease in my life? Will there be any complication further regurding hair loss?

I am taking b12 pills.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There is a link between segmental vitiligo and Vitamin B12 Deficiency and of course Pernicious Anaemia is a form of B12 Deficiency.

Sadly autoimmune diseases can come along together but not necessarily for everyone.

I am absolutely astounded to read that you are taking B12 pills.

If you have a definite diagnosis of P.A. the pills will be of no use to you whatever.

Are you in the U.K?  If you are this is the treatment your doctor should be giving you:

Treatment of cobalamin deficiency

"Current clinical practice within the U.K is to treat cobalamin deficiency with hydroxocobalamin in the intramuscular form outlined in the British National Formulary, BNF, 

Standard initial therapy for patients without neurological involvement is 1000 µg intramuscularly (i.m.) three times a week for two weeks, then every three months. 

The BNF advises that for Pernicious anaemia and other macrocytic anaemias patients presenting with neurological symptoms should receive 1000 µg i.m. on alternative days until there is no further improvement, then 1 mg every 2 months.

However, the GWG recommends a pragmatic approach in patients with neurological symptoms by reviewing the need for continuation of alternative day therapy after three weeks of treatment"

Another thing to be aware of is whether your Folate level is high enough as this is essential to process the B12 you should be being injected with and it may be you will need your doctor to test it and if necessar prescribe a folic acid supplement.

I am not a medically qualified person but have had P.A. for 45 years and I'm still "clivealive" ar 75 years of age.

If you have any more questions please do ask.

• Posted

Thanks for reply. So you said that my problem with vitiligo is also associated with b12 deficiency. I am having a proper treatment of pa. Few years back there is a noticible hairloss. But as of now it is in good condition.is there any chance of getting any problem again regarding hairloss further if i am having a proper treatment of pa. Please help me out. As a woman from India hair is having a great impact in getting marriage.
    • Posted

As I said I am not a medically qualified person so I am unable to help with your hair loss but it would seem that if it recovered in the past it may not occur again in the future especially if you are getting sufficient B12 injected for the P.A.

Just one more thing - please ensure that you have a healthy Folate level as this is essential to process the B12.

I wish you well for the future

• Posted

Unfortunately, a lot of autoimmune illnesses do come along together. As Clive says the normal treatment for PA would be injections. Normally pills won't work as the reason we are low in B12 is due to the failure within our digestive system to absorb B12 from our food. So why would we absorb it from pills?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.