Hydrocelectomy- Don't be nervous, get it done

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just wanted to post a quick note to reasure anyone who is nervous of getting this done. It took me years to build the courage to get the op and it's the best thing I have ever done. I had a large hydrocele on the left side of my scrotum, finally got the courage to go the doctor and was on the table for surgery in 2 weeks. Woke up after to a small bit of pain , nothing I couldn't handle. Stayed over night and was home early the next day. Used a support and took it easy for a few days with painkillers, pain was 4 out of 10 at the most. Within 6 weeks completely recovered. No swelling at all. Lads get this done it changed my life.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had a double hydroceles. The right side is fine but the left side 9 wks post op is still swollen and I feel it has come back!! Some say it could take up to a year for the swelling to go down.

Anyone else having this issue??

• Posted

I had my hydrocele surgery last July, and my scrotum never went back to its normal size...it's now about the size of an orange and hard. But after an ultrasound last week, it was dicovered that I now have a hematocele. That is caused by blood seeping into the scrotum forming a hard mass. I'm having that surgery on May 8th and should be fine after that.

• Posted

you and i must be twins....i have that on my left side now....my hydrocele on the left side seems to be going down....right side is normal now.....but i was feeling another hard mass....did not know about the hematocele until hearing it from you.  is it dangerous??  i will see the doc in two weeks??  
    • Posted

Hey twin...The hard mass might be the hematocele...i saw a video of that surgery on youtube and it looks simple and less work than the hydrocele...mention it to your doctor and see what he thinks
  • Posted

Had mine done yesterday felt pretty good yesterday get out of bed this morning I'm in a whole Lotta pain not so much my balls my back my lower back pain bad two pain pills this morning

• Posted

My pain was worse the first 3-5 days after sugery, but gradually got better. Your nerves are all interconnected down there, from back to front, so maybe that's why you're experiecing pain in lower back. 

• Posted

I put off having my hydrocele treated partly because of the number of patients on forums like this reporting problems.  Unfortunately one tends to hear of the problems and not the successes. I am 69 years old and had a slow growing hydrocele that reached the size of a fairly large avocado this spring.  It was getting in the way if you know what I mean.  Sex was getting awkward and I looked like a man with unusally large package in my pants.  My operation went very well and my significant other and I are very happy with the results.  My experince was much the same as Collin's - don't wait!  

• Posted

Hey Jerry...glad things went well for you! Unfortunately we do get scared of having this type of operation, myself included. But after all is said and done, we find that it was worth having the opearion than not. And like you, it wasn't easy walking around with a large bulge in front of your pants. Although you had an "avocado", I had a small grapefruit (before surgery)...happy I had the surgery as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.