Afib episode young, scared, dont know what to do =(

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all, 

This is the first time I have ever posted anything in a forum. I dont know where to turn anymore because im at a point where im lost...

Heres my story

Im a 28 year old who has been having chronic left side chest, arm, neck, shoulder pain for about 2 years now. The pains im having are there in the morning when i wake up and there at night when i go to sleep. 

Im overweight... im about 6 foot tall and 325 lbs, i live a very unactive lifestyle due to my career in accounting which requires me to sit at a computer for 10 hours a day. I smoked a bit in college for a few years but have bee nicotine free for about 3-4 years now. I dont drink caffeine, no soda, and no alcohol at all. However, due to an atkins diet ive tried many times, for years i have eaten a high fat diet.

3/15/15 it all started... i woke up from a deep sleep and my heart was going crazy fast... went to the ER, 141BPM in AFIB, the first time its ever happened to me. They gave me medicine, broke the rythem and i went home...

From there is where ive had the tests done. Having afib at such a young age is something i never i thought i would have to deal with.

4/2015 - Holter monitor... completely normal

5/2015 - echocardiogram - completely normal

7/2015 - chest xray - completely normal

10/2015 - repeat bloodwork - low vitamin d, other then that normal

1/2016 - Cat scan of neck - no abnormalities detected

2/2016 - cat scan of chest - no abnormalities detected

6/2016 - 2nd afib episode - woke me up from sleep again, took mt medicine like doctor ordered and it went away on its own 

10/2016

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

10/2016 - diabetes bloodwork - normal

10/2016 - EMG - FINALLY something showed something, C spine rediculopothy is what i was diagnosed with

11/2016 - MRI chest, neck, brachial plexus - Showed paracentral herniation c2-3 and various disc bulges... nothing MAJOR just slight bulges

11/2016 - Sleep study - I have SEVERE sleep apnea, 40+ episodes an hour

Those are all the tests i have done to date in the 2 years now... Im managing the afib well but i cant stop thinking about my heart health... its on my mind all the time... I need to know 100% that this left shoulder/neck/arm pain is not heart related... my cardiologists dont think that it is at all and they reassure me that but im the type of person that needs to know for sure... Suggestions? am i being stupid??? Help =(

• Posted

You are clearly in deep distress about this, Chris.  Understandably.  It is hard to bear and pretty worrying.

i cannot comment on your physical pains but can make a suggestion re your AFib episodes and your desire for weight loss.  I have AFib (but am a lot older than you!) and have found almost complete relief by taking powdered magnesium twice a day.  Product is called Calm.  It is easily obtainable and has been recommended on this forum by several people.  It can't harm as you excrete what you don't need.  It is linked to a reduction in magnesium levels in the body caused by heart arrythmias.

As for weight loss, this can only be beneficial in a lot of ways  if you know you are overweight.  I am reading 2 excellent books ta the moment, both giving low carb, sugar free 8 week diets that promise a rapid weight loss without excessive hunger.  Might not be your way forward for you but would advise finding some way to lose the excess weight.

can recommend

Physical inactivity is something to change, too.  Apparently, we are all sitting too much to be healthy.  Take up walking or a sport or buy an excercise bike?  Also, when sitting, set a timer to ring every 30 seconds.  This will remind you to stand and walk. Are we steps before sitting down again!  Sounds wacky, I know, but I can see the benefits.

Lastly, remember stress will promote AFib episodes.  You have been medically assured, like most of us on this forum, that your heart is just fine.  As my paramedic says, your heart is fine, it  just likes playing a jazz rhythm,  

• Posted

Hi Chris

Trust your cardiologist...of you do not trust your cardiologist, get a different one.

Incorporate cardio exercise into your life.

Eat a heart healthy diet...in the USA we have The Heart Association.

Ask for a referral to speak with a dietician to develop a safe, healthy heart diet for life.

A physical therapist should be able to teach you proper cardio exercises and to stretch your spinal column.

I know this is difficult. Relaxation exercises may also be beneficial.

Have the AFib managed is hugh...good for you. The apnea, you can consider a CPap for sleeping. Quality sleep may just solve many of your issues. Sleep is so very important.

hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.