P.A? Not absorbing B12? Low folate level Need help.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, just got my blood tests back today and they came back normal but doctor said he wants to keep monitoring them. I have all the symptoms of b12 deffiecency extreme tingling burning pins and needles sensation in my legs hand and feet and toes extremely tired no energy weak memory forgetfullness depression paranoid anxeity always feeling unwell symtoms get worse after doing excericise or playing sports, these symtoms started out at age 13 generally got worse over time 2months ago i was diagnosed with vitamin d defficnscy and prescribed 20,000iu once a day for 2months i am know 20 years of age and my life is a mess i am sure its b12 defficancy becuase when i went to my gp at age 13 with bowel problems he just poked fingers into my stomach and said i have ibs bloody joke tbh but im sure that im not absorbing b12 due to my bowel problems my b12 results came back today and heres what they said (serum vitamin b12 - 507 ng/L) (Serum folate level - 2.7 ug/l) i think they said the folate is abit low but in the past ive been told about anemia and he said just eat more meat and things like that but i eat loads of meat bowel problems etc i don't think im absorbing any vitamins my life is hell right know i dont know where to go from here

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Get a high end blender and make green smoothies in the morning to fix your folate issue. The folate in kale in the smoothie form is highly absorbable and you'll shoot from 2.7 to mid teens in no time.

I would also get a ferritin test to see if you are storing too much iron via a disease called hemochromatosis. A regular iron test can show normal but ferritin is the real test. Some of your symptoms seem to be consistent with that

• Posted

You really do need to get your Folate level up either by as hemppatient123 suggests increasing your "greens" intake or supplementing with folic acid as this is essential to process the B12 you have swirling round your body.

In a normal healthy person the stomach lining has what are called "Gastric parietal cells" which produce "Intrinsic Factor" which travels with food through the small intestine which is made up of three parts - the Duodenum, the Jejunum and the Ilium..

Iron is absorbed in the Duodenum, most other nutrients in the Jejunum and our friend B12 in the Ilium.

Here the Intrinsic Factor binds to the B12 and the "B12/IF Complex" enters the cells on the wall of the Ilium after binding to receptors on the surface of the Ileal cells, allowing it to enter the blood stream.

The bowel is further on in the process so I doubt your "bowel problems" come into it as your B12 level is quite high.

Vitamin B12, one of eight B vitamins, is essential to blood formation, regeneration of vitamin B9, or folic acid, DNA synthesis and the proper function of the brain and nervous system. B12 is an essential vitamin. Essential nutrients are molecules the body cannot produce on its own. So they must be supplied in the diet. Even just a small deficiency of vitamin B12 can have drastic effects on mood. Symptoms of a small vitamin B12 deficiency include anxiety, stress, irritability, depression, fatigue and mental confusion. To prevent a vitamin B12 deficiency, take a vitamin supplement or incorporate foods high in vitamin B12, such as beef, liver, seafood, fish, cheese and eggs, into your diet.

Vitamin B12 helps generate the fatty layer of the nerve endings, also known as myelin. The myelin layer must be intact for neuron signals to transmit properly. A vitamin B12 deficiency may impair the myelin layer and prevent proper signal transmission.

Folic acid is crucial for proper brain functioning and plays an important role in mental and emotional health. It helps in the production of DNA and RNA, the body's genetic material, especially when cells and tissues are growing rapidly, such as during infancy, adolescence, and pregnancy. Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly in the body. Vitamin B9 works with vitamins B6 and B12 and other nutrients in controlling the blood levels of the amino acid homocysteine.

Rich sources of folate include spinach, dark leafy greens, asparagus, turnip, beets, and mustard greens, Brussels sprouts, lima beans, soybeans, beef liver, brewer's yeast, root vegetables, whole grains, wheat germ, bulgur wheat, kidney beans, white beans, lima beans, salmon, orange juice, avocado, and milk.

I wish you well

• Posted

Hi thank you for your detailed response so you think my low folate level is the cause of all my b12 symtoms? The thing is about 6yrs ago when i went to my gp with out him doing any tests he said i have ibs most days im constipated and some days i have loose bowels all thses b12 symptoms ive had for years know.
    • Posted

So what you mean is that becuase if my low folate level im not using or absorbing the b12? Sorry for all the questions.
    • Posted

What I am saying is that Folate is essential to process the B12 - the two work together.

Personally, I've taken 1 – Folic Acid 400µg tablet every day for more years than I can remember in addition to what I can get from food and supplemented cereals, but then I've been having B12 injections every month for 45 years and I'm still "clivealive" at 75. 

I wish you well

• Posted

Ok thank you deffinatly will but do you think i have pa? Ive had these symtomd for 6yesrs and they are affecting every aspdct of my life.
    • Posted

Aksobdonyou think when i start raising my folate kevels and ising b12 ill acutally find iut the problem? Is the neuro symtoms and extemely fatigued ymptoms that ate the worse.
    • Posted

The symptoms of B12 Deficiency and P.A. are pretty much the same and the only way to find out whether you have P.A. is for your Intrinsic Factor and Gastric Parietal Cells to be tested by your doctor.

"Anyone at any age, can become B12 deficient. However, certain people are at an elevated risk. They include the following:

Vegetarians, vegans and people eating macrobiotic diets.

People aged sixty and over

People who’ve undergone any gastric and/or intestinal surgery, including bariatric surgery for weight loss purposes (Gastric bypass).

People who regularly use proton-pump- inhibitors. H2 blockers, antacids, Metformin, and related diabetes drugs, or other medications that can interfere with B12 absorption.

People who undergo surgeries or dental procedures involving nitrous oxide, or who use the drug recreationally.

People with a history of eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia).

People with a history of alcoholism.

People with a family history of pernicious anaemia.

People diagnosed with anaemia (including iron deficiency anaemia, sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia).

People with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten enteropathy (celiac disease), or any other disease that cause malabsorption of nutrients.

People with autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease) Type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, lupus, Addison’s disease, ulcerative colitis, infertility, acquired agammaglobulinemia, or a family history of these disorders.

Women with a history of infertility or multiple miscarriages".

Check the above list and see if you can identify with any of the people mentioned 

• Posted

You need to keep a healthy level of Folate whilst  taking the B12.
    • Posted

Ok thank you im not taking any b12 pills but i will keep eating food high in b12 but i get ibs symtoms everyday hopefully i can get to the bottom of this i will also eat foods high in folate and see what happens so is my folate considered really low? And does my body need folate to use b12 becuase ive had really had neuro symtoms im also a vitamin d defficiant and been on 20,000iu daily for 2months so could that be evidence of me not absorbing vitamins? I also have yellowish skin.
    • Posted

IF you do ONLY have a B12 Deficiency caused by a poor diet then that can be remedied by improving the diet.

However, broadly speaking, if you are any of the people I listed in my last post or if you have P.A. then you will probably need B12 injections for the rest of your life.

• Posted

hi i have exactly the same issues as you! and also the same b12 and folate levels. im convinced its b12 deficiency but doc doesnt want to now. how are you getting on?x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.