EKG monitor suggestions for home use

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have been suffering with ectopic beats for the past year which are slowly ruining my life.  

I am interested in people's experience and recommendations of EKG monitors for home use.  Is there benefit in these devices (or do they generate unhelpful anxiety)?  Will they help to diagnose/ differentiate different underlying issues?   Are they reliable enough to record clinically meaningful information?   I'm interested if people have got detailed experience of specific hardware and recommendations, or indeed of things to steer clear of.

Many thanks 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The only one I've really seen is by Alivecor. It seems to be pretty good and cheap but I've only seen it on YouTube.

• Posted

I use AliveCor. It came with iPhone case and it helps me know when my arythmia starts and end. It gives me knowledge to reduce anxiety. Keep in mind that most of those devices are intended to detect one type of arythmia and that is atrial fibrillation. It will produce limited ECG and if it detects something abnormal other than AFIB it will tell you that the result is unclassified. If that is reproducible then I would let the doctor know if the concern is valid 
  • Posted

As my symptoms never coincided with an NHS 24 hour ecg, I bought my own on Amazon, not sure we are allowed to name brands, but the model number is a Prince 180B.

Now whilst its written interpretation is hardly helpful, the actual ECG is great, it looked just the same as the reading the NHS got with their professional machine in the ambulance.

This machine has directly lead to me being treated by a cardiologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.