I am being investigated for a heart condition

Posted , 5 users are following.

The first test I had was a manometry to rule out oesophageal spasms which was normal so now the tests for a heart condition continues. My question is it still possible to have oesophegeal spasms when having no problems swallowing food

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes. Spasams will happen even if you don't have problems swallowing. My first manometry was also negative. 1 month later, it was positive.

• Posted

Did you also have a barium swallow test and an endoscopy?�� These would be normal to investigate swallowing problems.�� The spasms can be triggered by a) the achalasia / peristaltic muscle issues; b) reflux, or c) some other unknown issues, so it is indeed possible to have spasms that get triggered for reasons other than swallowing difficulties.�� It is very logical to look at the possibilities of a heart-related cause though.
    • Posted

I had an endoscopy but not barium as if there is a slight chance of reflux would have to have a manometry anyway
  • Posted

They investigated me for heart problems, over and over and over. I had 10 EKG's over a 6 month period. Finally, they suggested I see a Gastroenterologist. I never had problems swallowing food, but food would get stuck in my lower esophagus, right before the LES. My first manometry was negative, then 2 weeks later it was positive for Nutcracker esophagus. I have pain in the chest, and terrible pain in my back right between my shoulder blades. My family doctor, who has been practicing for 20 years has one nutcracker esophagus patient, me. So, this affliction - is not very common - and often over looked.

• Posted

did you have to have the 24 hr one too they decided not to do one for me as I was quite unwell at the time and didn't think I would cope with it, I would not be too bothered with having the same one again but I will refuse to have the 24 hr one.

Microvascular Angina has the same symptoms which is why they ruled out OS. What other symptoms do you get with your OS 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.