Hernia and Mesh removal Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, Anyone have the mesh from a hernia removed and reinserted? Apparently the mesh i had inserted is defective. My hernia's are back and now I'm to undergo a "massive hernia repair!" What is that?! I'm scared, I'm not sleeping, and i'm unable to eat...i'm so stressed! My sergeon isn't available to talk to me about what will happen. Anyone had this done? Apparently I wont have a belly button after the surgery....I'm really upset about what will happen....

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have never had mesh removed although I have had a total of 5 hernia repairs.  The latest one on 25th Nivember 2016 was a supraumbilical mesh hernia repair, which was classed as a major operation.  I'm not going to say it is fun, as I am still in cnsiderable pain and have no belly button.  If your surgeon is not available, try talking to your GP or phone your local hospital and ask to speak to another surgical surgeon.  He may be able to put your mind at ease.  Wishing you good luck.  xxxx

• Posted

Hi Barbara, Thank you for you reply....i dont feel as much alone on this....The mesh has shifted and has left me with another hernia in two places. The mesh is being detached and replaced with another one. The gaul bladder my need to be removed as well because it's attached (mesh) to the base of the gaul bladder.

I just feel like this may a bigger surgery than I was lead to believe. I was told I could go back to work in a few weeks. I was also told that for pain management, I'd be given an epirdural. I'm freaking out! I just wish I could understand fully what to expect. .5 repairs? wow!

• Posted

Hi Cathy, it always helps to talk to people in a similar situation.  I must admit I joined this Forum today because of my own problems.  If it was just the gall bladder, it would probably be done through keyhole, but because the mesh is being removed and another replaced, they will do the two in one.  Are your two new hernias in close situation ??  If so, I should imagine they will simply use a bigger mesh to repair the two hernias as one.  I hope I'm not leading you astray, just tryng to give you hope it won't be as bad you as think.  Yes, I had 4 hernias after a stoma reversal, and this latest one due to a major operation I had wau back in September 2013 !! 

• Posted

the doctor said i wouldn't have a belly button after so they're doing something through the belly button. What is stomac reversal? That soundsd familiar...thinking thats what they're doing to me. How long was your surgery?

• Posted

I don't have a belly button after this latest repair Cathy.  At least it won't collect fluff !! lol. !!  

My first major operation they removed part of my bowel and I had a stoma bag attached to my tummy.  I couldn't see me going through life with a bag attached to my tummy, so I went for a reversal so I could go to the toilet as normal rather than into a bag.

They won't be doing that to you if they are not touching your bowel, which is doubtful for a hernia repair.  I can't remember much about the operation.  In fact I have only a vague idea of being admitted to hospital.  The first I knew of it was 10 days later when I opened my eyes for the first time.  I was then put in isolation for 16 days because I caught a virus called CDIFF.  

• Posted

I too had hernias then mesh inserted and it failed and am about to undergo a removal and repair also in Feb. Not sure what I am getting into yet but I cant live like i do now.
    • Posted

I am so sorry to hear about yet another mesh failure.  I can imagine he pain it causes and wish you every success with your next rwpair.
    • Posted

I'm freaking out! The mesh has caused damage to my Gaul bladder so they're taking it along with the defective mesh. Then implanting a new one! The thing that's scaring me is that they're turning the liner of my stomach around so back will be the front. Because this is my 3rd repair, they need to reinforce that this will be the last repair. They may do that to you as well Scott.

I've been told I'll be given an epidural to manage pain for days following the procedure. Apparently it's extremely painful post procedure. My operation is this wednesay!! Jan 11!!

Scared like crazy about during and after! I can deal with pain, I just don't want to be bed ridden and people having to wait on me hand and foot!

I'm very independent and I don't like having to rely on others.

Oh well, I'll look at this as a bit of a break and bask in the charity!

I'll give you a full report!

Cathy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.