Do you push when you poop?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hope this question doesn't sound too odd smile 

I'm not talking about if you're constipated and straining is inevitable, but just when you have a gneral BM, do you tend to push or just let it owrks it's way out naturally. 

I've always been a pusher. Through my teens-eary 20's I did tend to have a fair bit of constipation and generally hard stools, so would frequently strain (this would include prior to actually go to the loo, I would often need to walk around and give intermittent pushes to get it to where it needed to be before passing it). However, for years now my BMS are generally fine due to a better diet, but I still always push. 

I honestly thought this was pretty much standard pooping practice, until recently reading something that said you should just sit on the toilet and allow it to pass naturally without any pushing at all. 

8/10 I need to give a push just to get it on it's ways and have never equated my pushing to the kind of straining you would do when constipated. 

Is this kind of pushing likely to aggrevate internal hemmies? And does anyone else poop this way? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey there

I've had the same doubt before.

I'm 20 and I've been pushing my entire life.... whether my stool was soft or hard.

I used to think that was the normal way to poop.

But for the past 3 month's I've been letting gravity do all the work.

At first I didn't think it was possible to poop without pushing.

But increasing my fiber helped me to poop without pushing.

Yes.

It is something under our control.

We have gotten so used to pushing that we've forgotten to let gravity do its thing.

For the first week make your stool very soft and be conscious when you poop.

Try not to push...Trust me it'll automatically come out.

After a while you will be completely fine.

Even for hard stools you won't have to push.

I just hope this helps us not develop any hemmorhoids in the future !!

• Posted

I've always had to push to start the process of. Although now I've had the hemmorroidectomy, I don't know what it's like to 💩 naturally any more, as it takes great effort for the 💩 to come out!!

• Posted

Try this - increase your fiber. I use Psylium by Konsyl (big fan of this getting me through every day - specially since my op) - it's like metamucil without the fake sweetners in it if you're in the USA. Easiest way to drink it is mix it with cold water - in a water bottle - 3/4 of bottle of water, 2 teapsoons of psyllium, shake it hard and drink quickly. This gets thick as it sits and it a lot harder to drink - takes a little while to get used to it.. Drink extra water inbetween drinking it - you will need to increase your water intake. BUT it will help. It really does.

Also because of big issues with my op - having a BM was  big anxiety/stress thing for me (been diagnosed with PTSD which is insane - up until this op I've been one of the healthiest people I know) and new doc gave me this technique to relax and take my mind of the actual movement. And it's helping me hugely ---

so, once you are on the toilet. work on 3 things See, Hear, Feel.

sit there and look around for 3 things you can see - mirror, door, soap (example)

then 3 things you can hear - example - traffic, radio, fan

then  things you can feel - feet on the floor, legs touching toilet seat, etc

then go back and start again with 2 things you can see, 2 things you can hear, etc

then 1 thing of each

then start again.

the day I started this two weeks ago was a big change for me. Keeps your mind occupied while your body works. 

so simple but helping me immensly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.