I need some advice... don't know where to start

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new here x

I could really use some advice from people who have been in similar situations.

I have suffered with panic attacks since I was around 9 when I became fixated on death and developed an irrational fear of death and everything associated with it.. it got worse and worse from there and at 18 whilst living in the USA I was diagnosed with panic and anxiety disorder, the crippling panic attacks have literally ruled my life

Then in 2009 after a traumatic event the Agoraphobia crept in.

I managed it and eventually got a little better, then in 2012 my husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer.... he was 34 and I was 31 at the time... 10 weeks later he was gone, I am single mum to 3 children and my mental health since my husband died has been awful... I can't leave the house alone, some days can't even go downstairs in my own home, even with someone with me I can't cope with certain situations and get very anxious and agitated.

I have been advised to apply for DLA or Pip ... but I literally don't have a clue where to start or if I'm even eligible

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to me rambling... any help and advice would be very much appreciated x

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you have been throu this

Agoraphobia is suck!! Tell me about it, i am an agoraphobic. See when it comes to the point that you understand the situation but yet you cant overcome it, then the medication is needed.

I have been on them before and they helped me. Now i am on them now after i relapsed and i am waiting for them to kick in. Once the med kicks in start to change your thought and start therapy.

Agoraphobia is hard to be explained for those who dont suffer from it. It makes your life as if you need help for even some one to give you a bath because you cant be alone at all.

But thanks god there is always hope. I think you should see doctor and figure what med will work for you. You have kids to look after so start your way to be normal.

• Posted

Kimble start with your GP and get a diagnosis.

Contact Department of Work and Pensions in Job Shops and they will supply the paperwork to fill in.

In my case it was such a long time ago and I am now a Pensioner so the problem has eased in my case.

I do not know if you are British or American, that could effet any claims you make.

Good luck

• Posted

Thats horrible. Im so sorry about your husband. Were you able to care for him while he was dying or were you afraid of him? Why cant you go downstairs? How old are your kids and how do you feed them if you dont go downstairs?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.