Normal? blood test results

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'd like some advice please on blood test results that I was told were normal.

Serum B12255 ng/L(180 - 1000)

Serum folate 4.3 ug/L.(> 4.00)

Serum ferritin 68 ug/L.(10 - 300)

I know these are all within range but my gp put no information on the blood request form with regard to co-existing problems. I'm hypothyroid, have probable myasthenia gravis (symptoms but not proven) my Neurologist keeps saying I have other things going on. CKD, lichen sclerosus, Raynaud's, restless legs, awaiting tests for carpel tunnel, non alcoholic fatty liver, seronegative Sjögren's syndrome and positive ANA. I always have inflammation of some sort going on. Could my "normal" blood results perhaps still be low.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I did reply, but it appears to have deleted. All your levels are a bit too low. Have a look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society website and check the symptom list. In Japan, anything below 500 is considered to need treatment. 
    • Posted

Thank you, I'll take a look. The next problem is trying to persuade my gp.

• Posted

I hope your GP will be open minded enough to agree to treat you. Even if you approach them to do it on a trial basis, just to see if some of your symptoms will improve? Good luck with it all. Lots of my symptoms were improved after my low B12 was treated. Lots of doctors know very little about B12, only 20% of the B12 in the blood will reach cell level. It is needed everywhere in the body, and when levels get dangerously low permanent nerve damage can occur. I had numbness, loss of balance, tinnitus, extreme tiredness, muscle weakness as some of my symptoms.
    • Posted

Having just read the symptoms on the PAS site I'm amazed by how many I have. I had to give up work as a chef two years ago as my balance, bumping into things and misjudging doorways etc was getting dangerous. I've also got constant tinnitus and my hearing range had diminished. My walking is slow and sometimes unsteady and I have to hold on in the shower. The brain fog, losing words or using the wrong word are regular occurrences. The list goes on and on. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

• Posted

Well from what you say your GP should listen and hopefully do something to help you. The brain fog and losing words was awful, I'd come to the conclusion I was developing dementia! Thankfully I'm much better now, but it does take time. I also regularly bumped into doorways.

The usual starting treatment is six injections over two weeks, and if there are continuing neurological symptoms they ought to continue frequent injections until no further improvement. Most GP's will suggest going to one injection every three months. I managed to get mine to agree to one every six weeks.

I'm nearly three years into treatment now, and feel more like my old self. Do hope you will feel better soon. Marion x

• Posted

Hi. I am in a very similar situation and joined PA society who give you guidance on what to say to your gp. I am now being treated and it is so much better.

I was expeeiencing episodes of confusio and peripheral neuropathy. There are guidelines written by Institute of haematologists recommending treatment for anyone in this low range with symptoms of pa. Clive on here will point you in the right direction. But you need to print that off and send it to your gp and ask for treatment.

This makes you feel so unwell I totally understand where you are coming from.

• Posted

Well said Margaret. I have private messaged Jackie much along the same lines as my original reply is still awaiting moderation.

Much needs to be done to raise awareness of the dangers of a missed diagnosis of Vitamin B12 Deficiency.

It took 13 years after stomach surgery and two "Schilling Tests" (four years apart) before it was discovered that I had P.A. by which time I was running on empty and was barely able to walk or think straight

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.