Does this blood test indicate that I have polycythemia?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 17 years old boy. I did the blood test and found that:

Blood Volume - Above normal

WBC - Lower than normal

RBC - Higher than normal

Hemoglobin - Higher than normal

Platelet - Normal

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your information does not necessarily mean you have Polycythemia. They could indicate a number of possible problems and you would need to discuss these with your doctor/haematologist who would be able to diagnose your problem accurately.

It is not unknown for younger people to be diagnosed with Polycythemia but it needs professional supervision and I would suggest you obtain this before taking this any further.  It is a very rare disorder and obviously not commonly found in the community.

Let us hope you do noy have it, particularly at such a young age.  Good luck.  It is treatable with the right medical control.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I am not a doctor, a PV patient, just my opinion.

What is your hematocrit level, if it is above 45, need a further test for JAK2 mutation.

Richard Law - Houston Texas

• Posted

Why does vadhna need to get checked for the jak2 mutation if his hematocrit is above 45? I don't even think they would entertain such a test unless it was above 52-54, and even then they might not, it least that is according to what I've read anayway. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.