Hiatus Hernia or something more serious?

Posted , 38 users are following.

I suspect I have a hiatus hernia, but I'm also worried it could be something serious and I won't find out until I have an endoscopy, which could be months away. I really need someone to reassure me that I am experiencing a hiatus hernia, and not something more urgent or severe, and possibly give me some tips for dealing with this.

Some background: I started having breathing problems in October, followed quickly by severe throat pain and swallowing difficulties. Several visits to walk-in clinics and the GP later, after misdiagnoses with asthma and mumps, a doctor finally suggested I might be experiencing acid reflux. At the time I was generally only having 'silent' laryngopharyngeal silent, including a sore throat, lump in throat, and trouble swallowing. My symptoms didn't improve with 60 mg of Omeprazole so they began treating me for h. pylori (without confirming it with tests) or possibly an ulcer. Eventually I started having the more recognisable symptoms of acid reflux, although they primarily seem to be concentrated below my breastbone, right at the solar plexus. Eventually I was switched to Lansoprazole, 30 mg 2x a day, and although it's worked better than the Omeprazole my symptoms have never entirely gone away and recently seem to have gotten worse. I've been eating a very bland diet for months, without effect. No caffeine, no alcohol, no tomato sauce, no chocolate, very little sugar, no... just about everything. During a 3 week period at the very beginning I ate nothing but toast, plain whole wheat pasta, and bananas and drank nothing but warm water and still my symptoms didn't improve.

Finally, at the beginning of January my GP referred me to a gastroenterologist, suspecting it might be a hiatus hernia. My pain has been escalating recently and I was very eagerly checking the mail everyday for the appointment letter. However, during a confrontation with a very inept, awful GP at the surgery today, I discovered that the practice may, in fact, not have sent out the referral (the hospital department has no records of my referral, although they explained it could still be processing), leaving me nearly a month behind in my journey to heal this problem.

Because even seeing a gastroenterologist and getting an endoscopy will likely now be months away for me, on top of the three months I've already suffered, I'm becoming a little bit frantic. I'm now worried there's something else wrong with me, like possibly stomach cancer, and that all this medical incompetence will kill me. (These are the same doctors who prescribed me two drugs with a very serious interaction--irregular heartbeat--and then dismissed me as 'overreacting' when I turned up at their office with.... heart palpitations, dizziness, fainting episodes. I only discovered the interaction myself days later when I was checking the interactions on my meds to see if I could take a decongestant. Stopped one of the meds and all the dizziness and cardiac problems disappeared. Anyway, these doctors don't exactly inspire confidence.)

SYMPTOMS

- pain and difficulty with deep breaths (My partner pointed out that I 'raise' my shoulders to breathe. If you hold my shoulders down and try to get me to breathe just by expanding my lungs outward I sputter and cough and can't get a deep breath)

- burning pain concentrated around solar plexus (under breastbone), usually worse after meals, somewhat improved by the lansoprazole: PPIs tend to reduce the burning but not the general pain

- soreness and tightness in throat

- muscular pain in chest, left armpit, left arm, left hand (I don't think this is cardiac: i've had it for months and the pain is worse when I move, press on it.)

I've had a blood test (i'm iron deficient but not anemia), a chest x-ray, a stomach x-ray, and a lung capacity test, all of which were relatively normal. Would the hernia have shown up on one of the x-rays though? That's my concern. If I don't have a hernia I don't know what this is: it seems more complicated than simple GERD.

I apologise if I come off a little frantic. I'm frustrated and exhausted and a little terrifying. I'm seriously considering shelling out the £1,000 or so for a private endoscopy but apparently you also need a referral for one of those too and I don't trust my GP to actually send it out. Money is tight anyway. I'm trying to get into a new GP next week but with their preliminary appointments and wait times I doubt I'll get another referral out for at least 2 weeks. I doubt I'll have the endoscopy before June. I just don't want to find out months later, when my NHS referral finally trickles in, that I've been living with say, stomach cancer they could have treated if they'd caught it earlier. I'd be very young for stomach cancer, I know (I'm in my twenties) but with months to go before diagnosis my mind is running a little wild.

The relentless pain and breathing problems is also tearing my nerves to shreds. I'm crying hysterically several times a day and I keep having fantasies about injuring myself so I'd have to be taken to an A&E and treated, or at least properly examined. Anyone have any strategies for coping with pain, or the wait until diagnosis? Everyone else seems to have been diagnosed fairly quickly with an endoscopy and I'm fighting even to see a gastroenterologist. : (

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I should also add that I'm experiencing a lot of trapped wind and burping.
    • Posted

ever tired taking a glass of water an putting a teaspoon of baking soda in it for your Stomach-Try it you will feel much better-its better then zantac or nexium I promise you it will cleanse your entire system
    • Posted

Hi Thomas thank you for this, I will try this, it sounds good advice.

regards

• Posted

Firstly, the signs and symptoms of stomach cancer are loss of appetite followed by rapid weight loss, stomach discomfort, indigestion after meals, bloating and nausea. It is quite uncommon in your twenties. Stomach cancer generally gets worse with time also and does not respond to the meds you are on. At this point I would not be thinking of the worst possible outcome. You do seem to have all of the symptoms of a hiatus hernia with some complications of GERD. Upper endoscopy is the gold standard for diagnosis. I'm afraid you are going to have to wait either for the gastorenterologist or for the new GP appointment. In the mean time have you tried Aloe Vera Juice? It is relatively inexpensive and helps with GERD symptoms as well as with general digestion. Dealing with chronic pain & discomfort is difficult. Some tips to help: take a hot bath, breathe slowly and easily, distract yourself with something that you love.
  • Posted

Crabbit, i have exactly the same symptoms as you, i have a 4cm sliding hiatus hernia so don't panic. Firstly you need to get your diet under control, its all about little and often ( to little food you get pains and to much you get pains ) and getting the balance right. Exercise is also important but no bending or lifting because it will push the stomach up and irritate the hernia, walking is a good one. Trust me things do get better so try not to worry

• Posted

Dear John, when you have a flare up of the HH, how long does it take to return to normal, e.g. Chest pain go away?

Thank you in advance cheze

• Posted

Hi Crabbit, I have just been diagnosed with hiatus hernia. Horrendous amounts of trapped wind, excessive burping etc. endoscopy showed inflammation gastritis as well. Went on net and read that researchers in Scotland created hiatus hernia in healthy volunteers by fitting them with a tight belt. I wear a tight belt and had put a few pounds on. This all puts upward pressure on stomach pushing it into the diaphragm. I swapped my belt for braces and loosen my waistband whenever possible. It worked fantastic. No more burping or reflux. I also eat small meals about 3hourly. Also if your worried about cancer check out Johanna Budwig. She cured all kinds of cancer most of whom had been given up as incurable. I used lasoperazole for a few days to settle the gastritis.
    • Posted

Hi gallee I did find Lasoprazole worked but had serious side effects ie vertigo and dizziness . For now I am taking Gaviscon Double Action and DGL liquorice. My haitus hernia was caused by lifting my heavy and panicking  pet dog into a vets two years ago. Its taken docs to sort this out over two years of misdiagnosing..
  • Posted

Hi, the first thing is relax, relax and no stress stress produces gastritis and so on! etc, etc. never eat to much, try to do 4 or 5 small meals instead, stay away from greasy foods and do green (spinach, broccoli, cilantro) blends with fruits every day at least 3 a day, (with some honey or little nut cream to get better flavor) and start going down in your meds day by day until you start felling better and having a 80% vegetarian meals if you can. Your diet is very important but your serenity also, also check what kinds of foods mix together and which they don't to do it right.

Nutritionist found that some people don't have enough acid instead of to much so they are recommended to take a spoon of apple cider per meal, make the test at least 3 times.

I did kiss bye the doctors in my life and thanks I'm lot better now, but I may see them if I fell in my bike!

Take care yourself, don't live your health to a doctor or hospital, they are not God, there's all the elements to heal in the earth just do the correct thing, and imagine the best every day doing the best to your body and mind. I was in your shoes time ago. Dan.

• Posted

And I forgot if you can get DIGESTACURE it works really great (is based in a special Aloe vera, + is good for cellular communication)
  • Posted

Hi All. It's always interesting to hear other peoples tips ect. I have suffered now for 2 years in constant pain, Which has stedidly got worse, and I too panic that it's something worse!. I've had loads of tests and still no further forward. They found a sliding hernia, but have repeatedly told me that it does not cause any pain!!! I get the burning after almost all foods. My live is a misery, they have said there is nothing they can do for me, tablets don't work, the pain is under my right rib and through to the back!. Even a bra kills me. Any more help would be greatly received :-(
    • Posted

Hi lesly118.  I hope by now you have found some relief but if you haven't, you may want to have your gall bladder checked. Your symptoms fit with symptoms for gall bladder and the indigestion/reflux associated with gall bladder doesn't normally respond to antacid tablets nor the same prescriptions for reflux/GERD related.   This website may give you some helpful information.  Gallbladderattack    Well wishes.
    • Posted

Hi. Lesley118. I just had my gallblader removed today. So far that pain you speak of I had.is now gone. I finally was able to get a Doctor to run the right test.

Did you ever have a HIDI scan to test the function of your gallbladder.

My result showed it was not functioning at all. It was at O% function. The surgeon removed the gallbladder and also discovered a grape side stone. The pain subsided, but

it did not stop my acid reflux pain and food in my chest feeling. I am waiting on the nurse to call in the morning.

I hope you may have found relief.but if not hopefully this will help.

• Posted

I experienced problems at one time regarding referral letters.  Eventually I sat in the GPs surgery whilst he printed a referral form and handed it to me. I took it to the hospital myself.  If you find it necessary to go private you can usually take the letter on the appointment day.
    • Posted

In the last 2 months I have dropped 30pds an not cause I was trying to,My Stomach Has hurt so bad I cannot sleep an never feel Hungry,I have chest pain an hicups-Beltching-lots of gas an I drank some water with Baking soda an it started helping push the gas out-going wed 4-30 for scope
    • Posted

Have you found out what's wrong also going through the same thing. I have a poor apetite.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.