Confused about dose

Posted , 20 users are following.

Im in Florida and my Dr's are all telling me that I can only taper by 2&1/2 mil. They prescribe 5 mil pills and tell me to cut them in half, is this what everyone else her eis doing because I cannot get a script for any less, or are others cutting them into 1/4's but Im not sure as to how one can obtain such low dose pills.

Thanks again,

Sharon

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't know if there is a difference between states, but I can tell you in Canada we can get 1 mg tablets and I'm sure many Americans have been able to get 1 mg.  Have you asked at the pharmacy?  

• Posted

Maybe some of our US members can let us know how they get their 1 mg?
  • Posted

Can you get a different doctor who really understands PMR? I do cut 1 mgm pills into 1/4 after cutting them into 1/2 with a pill cutter. I use a straight edge razor to do it.

I live in NJ.

My rheumatologist gives me leeway to follow the protocol used here.

Karen

• Posted

Hi and thank you Karenjaninaz,

I just spoke with my Dr and he said he has never prescribed 1 mil pred. I have another appt with a Rheumatologist on the 15th of Sept, they all say they are experienced with PMR/GCA but they all have different opinions so Im hoping I get better results with this new one.

Meanwhile I dont know what to do as far as the 10 mil im taking now, should I take half in am & half in the evening or stay on the 10 all at once and add back 2&1/2 of the cut dose.

Sharon

• Posted

Just because he's never prescribed it doesnt' mean it can't be done! What a silly reason! Ask the chemist if they have them, or can get them, then he has no excuse!

• Posted

When I go for a refill, I will talk to the pharmacist about giving me 2s or 2.5 tabs.  In the meantime I will just keep splitting them.  I have plenty, so if I lose some, I lose some.  I hope you are feeling better.  Take care, Donna
  • Posted

I too am eaget to see the responses to this.  My doctor actually wanted me to go from 10 to 5, but I am going down to 7.5 first as I am afraid to jump that much.  I only have a prescription for 5 mg.  Yesterday I split a week's dose into halves.  I had to toss a few of them as they did not split properly and kind of fell apart.  I think the ones I saved are pretty close to 2.5.  Does anyone know if they make a 2.5???  I really want to try to convince my doctor to give me some.  Fortunately he gave me enough 5s to last quite a while, so my wasted ones won't be a big problem.  

• Posted

Ha, Donna you sound like I feel, my Dr gave me plenty of 5's and I too cut them and had to toss a few because they didnt cut right.

I also agree that tapering down by 5 mil is way to much. You need to do as everyone here states the slow taper, listen to me acting like I know what Im talking about, Im only repeating what I read hear and thus far there's lots of smart people here who know alot.

Good luck!

Sharon

• Posted

Thanks, I wish I could get some 2s.  I would then try 7mg for a month, then go down to 5.  It is annoying to have to work at cutting those things.  :-(
    • Posted

Yes it is annoying..... Im going to my pharmacy to ask about the 2 or 1 mil pills and hopefully I can get a script for either one.
    • Posted

I agree from what eveyrone is saying, however, so far the five at a time has been okay for me.  I began the 7.5 yesterday and I feel fine.  I don't know though, it might take a couple of days to know for sure.  I don't mind getting down lower if I don't have pain.  I do not ever want to return to that horrible pain.  Time will tell.   He gave me a prescription for 60 5 mg tabs with three refills, so no danger of running out of them if I have to toss a few while splitting.  Thanks for your response.  :-)

• Posted

I also live in Florida and I have 5mg pills and 1 mg pills. They can all be cut in halves and quarters! I have the non coated kind. If they couldn't be cut I don't know what I would have done when I was on 7.5, 4.5, etc! I only went down 1/2 mg every two-three weeks. Have had PMR for 18 months and am down to 1mg!

• Posted

I tied a pilll splitter and a knife.  Some of the 5s still crumbled.  They are the non-coated type.  Should I get a razor blade?  
    • Posted

Hi Renee,

Thanks so much, Im definitely going to try and get some today. My Dr is nuts saying he wont prescribe them below the 5 mil so Im looking forward to my new Dr hoping he will. Meanwhile Ill try cutting the 5 mil into 1/4s until I use them up. I didnt know they come uncoated & coated, I think mine are uncoated.

Sharon

• Posted

As far as I know you can only get the coated type of pred in the UK, it isn't available elsewhere - except for Rayos/Lodotra which also has a coating so can't be cut. It costs about $1700 per month in the US though!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.