Confused about dose

Posted , 20 users are following.

Im in Florida and my Dr's are all telling me that I can only taper by 2&1/2 mil. They prescribe 5 mil pills and tell me to cut them in half, is this what everyone else her eis doing because I cannot get a script for any less, or are others cutting them into 1/4's but Im not sure as to how one can obtain such low dose pills.

Thanks again,

Sharon

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm in Pennsylvania and my rheum gives me 1 and 5mg preds. I order from express scripts and they're sent automatically.

• Posted

I am also from Florida. My doctor prescribes 5mg and 1mg and allows me to self dose. I know I am lucky to have a doctor that understands better than most! I cut in half as required to get to the dose I need.  I have been diagnosed with PMR since Dec 2014 - after 6 months of the usual painful process. I take half in am and half in pm. Currently at 10mg after flare up, which seems to happen every time I get to 7.5. Starting dead slow taper (0.5mg drop) again.
  • Posted

Probably worth emphasizing that coated pred must never be cut.  
    • Posted

The uncoated are scored for cuting.  My tens split easily with my thumbs, the fives do not do this, so must be actually cut.  I would kind of like the coated as I hate having to make sure I have had a meal befofe taking them.  I do not always eat at the same time.  
    • Posted

There are 5 that also have a cut line but not all pharm companies do this.  The uncoated in the UK come in 10,5 and 1 mg and are OK to cut, but not the enteric coated ones.
    • Posted

Mine do have a scored/cut line.  They just don't seem to cut evenly.  I have two pill splitters.  I used the one that I thought was best, still crumbled a few of them.  I will look for my other cutter and see if it works better.  My 10 mg tabs were super easy.  I could simply use my thumbs and they split exactly down the middle.  These 5 mg tabs are much smaller and I couldn't use my thumbs to split them.  I was trying to do a week's worth at a time.  Thanks, Donna

• Posted

I am in Central Florida and I have gotten 1 mg

and 2 1/2 mg. I have my scripts filled at Publix and have also gotten them in Walgreens

• Posted

I am in California, I use Walgreens, so will see if I can get some from my doctor.  Thanks!!!
  • Posted

I'm in Central Florida and get both 1mg and 2 1/2 mg pred at local pharmacies and from the out of town pharmacy my insurance is connected to. I'm so happy to be on 6mg now down from 80mg. with GCA since 2009. With the MTX, Actemra and pred. my immune system isn't fighting off much. Had a chest x-ray yesterday for a cough and I'm now on an antibiotic for some infection. Can't have my many warts frozen off now. The doc is worried about infection there too. As long as I don't turn into the tree man!

• Posted

In the US, non coated tablets are available that contain 1, 2.5, 5, 10, 20, or 50 mg of prednisone.
  • Posted

I have used a pill cutter (CVS Pharmacy brand- US) for some time now.   It was worth it since I rarely waste any pills from mis cutting them!
    • Posted

I am in Western Australia we get the  non coated

pills 1 mg 5 mg  I use pill cutter to half the 1 mg only reduce by 1/2 at a time

• Posted

Hi Ann, same here, I am in Cairns :  smile  cheers

• Posted

the mind boggles at how many gps   dont know how to dose   pmr.  i am in uk. and cut my pills into half then a quater. the quater isnt always precise.  but  from one day to another it  evens  itself out

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

I see a Rheumatologist who claims he specializes in pmr/gca and hes the second one Ive been to. The first one tapered me by 5 mil after only two months on the pred and I wound up in the hospital worse than before I started. He told me he doesnt like keeping patients on the pred for to long but I asked him why so soon he said because its best. Needless to say I never went back to him and while like the Dr Im seeing now, he was referred to me by my Neuro Opthomologist he is not on my insurance plan so ive been paying out of pocket which is quite costly. I have another new one to see next month so keeping my fingers crossed I like him. For now Im going to go back up another 2&1/2 mil which I will take in the evening. I take the 10 mil at 5am so Ill see if that works.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.