Skip to content

Polymyalgia Rheumatica and GCA

Also known as GCA - Giant Cell Arteritis, Temporal Arteritis

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

Reducing pred: dead slow and nearly stop method

Copied from Eileen's post in another discussion. A group of us worked out reduction schemes individually that have allowed us to reduce far further than ever before but they are all basically the same - and they were based on a scheme a Swedish gentleman worked out when he simply couldn't get...

Last reply
  • Pinned

PMR-GCA website addresses and resources

If anyone has any further suggestions for inclusion do not reply to this but please contact me separately. PMR-GCA NE can be found at www.pmr-gca-northeast.org.uk PMRGCA-NW SUPPORT GROUP http://www.pmrgcasupport.co.uk/ The forums within the NE site are here - http://pmrandgca.myfunforum.org/index.php...

Last reply
  • Pinned

Research: GCA & PMR

The Research & Development section of Queen Elizabeth Hospital Gateshead NHS Foundation Trust will now undertake qualitative research following the result of the basic survey which we did last year on ‘Your Ears’. We donated £1000 start-up costs. All future costs will now be paid by the NHS....

Last reply
  • Pulled muscle

Is it only me that keeps on pulling various muscles in my legs by far the worse was a pulled hamstring muscle that took weeks to get better Is it the Pred that is causing this ? This latest pain is at the top of my left leg  😢 I am at present on 10 mg down from 15 mg of Pred . Has this happened...

Last reply
  • Dosing while laid up

As many of you know, I've broken my left ankle, sprained my right ankle and bruised my rib cage on my left side when I fell getting out of my car (just call me grace) I have lots of impressive bruising too. I've also caught a chest cold, I've had diarrhea for a week and developed a rash on...

Last reply
  • Zero Prednisone achieved - maybe spoke too soon??. . . .

In a previous discussion here, I speculated on whether continuing on a really low dose of Prednisone (as opposed to stopping completely) may have some protective effect re. preventing a recurrence of PMR. . . As far as I know there is no evidence to support this but maybe???? After 4 and a half years...

Last reply
  • Being tested for polymaylgia Rheumatica

hi there, Ive had bloods done today too see if i have this disease in only 39 but i guess can be possible at any age... my symptoms started 10 months ago my arms ached sooo much then i got hit with servere fatigue. also experienced bad headaches and jaw pain that lasted about 2 months. Now i have other...

Last reply
  • Jaw Claudication and PMR?

After being diagnosed with PMR for one month, I developed jaw claudication. My jaw gets stuck daily, not for more than 30 seconds, but I am wondering if this necessarily means I have GCA, rather than PMR.  No headaches or visual changes yet.  Thanks.

Last reply
  • yoghurt with artificial sweetener

i have been eating  about 750ml of yoghurt on a daily basis the one with artificial sweetener. Great for the bones..... and now I wonder... anybody any idea whether that could trigger polymyalgia rheumatica.....I suppose the only way to find out is stop eating the stuff...I wonder what you people...

Last reply
  • GCA SUFFERERS -HAS ANYONE HAD TROUBLE WITH HEARING ?

I have read that GCA can affect other arteries than those to the eyes. I have had the frontal dull headaches for weeks, and continue to have the headache even though I have been on Pred for a couple of months. 2 days ago I woke with really blocked ears - tried sinus remedies, gradually during the day...

Last reply
  • CBD Cannabis Oil

I have suffered from GCA for the past 3 years and had tried several times to come off the steroids without success. I am now considering CBD Cannabis Oil has anybody tried this?

Last reply
  • Does PMR pain move to different groups of muscles?

Went to bed last night with pain in my neck, upper back and shoulders Woke this morning with worse pain in those areas Since PMR I've had pain in the hips and lower back and legs, on 10mg pred now, but I have new pain in areas that weren't previously painful Is this normal for PMR?

Last reply
  • Prednisone withdrawal symptoms

i have been slowly reducing my Predisone over the past 8 months.  I am now on 5 mg.  battling to get below that.  I am experiencing horrific hot flushes accompanied by intense sweating.  Doesn't last long but really awful.  Feels different from the hot flush from menopause....

Last reply
  • Burning discomfort in stomach with gastro resistant prednisolone.

I was taking uncoated pred but had to switch to gastro resistant because of severe stomach problems. I have been more-or-less fine since the change until recently and today have had really bad burning in stomach following taking my pred this morning. I do not take meds with food as I did not think this...

Last reply
  • Recent SED test raised from 8 last year to 18. Not sure why.

Diagnosed January 2016 after living on Ibuprofen for the previous year.  Stopped Ibuprofen and began having a life again on 15 mgs Prednisone.  Have been on 6 mgs for over a year.  Attempted reduction to 5 mgs in ½ increments a few times unsuccessfully the slow way.   Last year...

Last reply
  • Laxatives and prednisone

I just started lowering dose from 12.5 to 10 and seem to have a problem that I never had very often...constipation! Could it be the reduced dose? Anyway I would normally take some duccolax but now I am not sure if that might cause an adverse reaction. Any ideas?

Last reply
  • Bone health

Has anyone taken MCHC (Microcrystalline Hyroxyapetite) or Bone-up for Osteoporosis. If so , does it help. My Osteoporosis is bad and taking prednisone is surley not helping me.

Last reply
  • How to tell if this is a flare up or not

Hi all. I've had PMR for about 3 years now and have been reducing the preds in an up and down fashion and am currently on 2mg, my GP has allowed me to manage it myself to a large degree offering advice when asked. Like a lot of older men, I'm 68, I suffer with arthritis. I'm now getting very...

Last reply
  • Really bad luck

I think I'm cursed. I have so many diseases and conditions several of which cause pain and none of which will kill me. So yesterday at around noon I had something horrible happen to me. I was stepping out of my car and I put my left foot down and I slipped on the gravel as I was falling. I tried...

Last reply
  • Ear problem

Hello again. I wonder if anyone has felt like they have a blocked ear or swimmers ear. I started to noticed this when I began to reduce from 12.5 to 10 mg of prednisone. I am getting very concerned now . I have a call into my rheumatologist abbd waiting to be called back. Thanks for the support...

Last reply
  • I have a doctor

hi everyone, I hope you have had a good day. I finally have found a GP who is going to care. My previous GP said I could cut down pred by 1mg per month until I am off. Without any monitoring or CRP tests and I've never had a DEXA scan. I entered a new practice randomly chosen and made an appt. I...

Last reply
  • Omeprazole

a messsage for Eileen I first started taken Omeprazole when I was taking naproxen before I was diagnosed with PMR. When I first saw the Rheumatologist he gave me a prescription for Predesolone, and  a prescription for Omeprazole. Someone on this forum recently said they felt bloated taking it and...

Last reply
  • Could it be Polymyalgia?

Hello all, I am new here. I am really struggling at the moment with painful symptoms and am getting absolutely nowhere with my GP. I suspect I have some sort of inflammatory condition or disease, and wondered if perhaps someone who has PMR would read my story and tell me if they think I am on the...

Last reply
  • Diet as an adjunct to PMR Treatment

For years on and off I've struggled with a plant based diet that eliminates animal fat, oil, and as much sugar as possible.  I've fallen off of it more than I've been on it, but I have stayed on it for nearly a year at a time.  Why?  Because such a diet can halt and even reverse...

Last reply
  • Accidentally skipped two doses

My daughter just had her first baby and in the excitement I forgot to bring my Prednisone with me to the hospital. 48 hours later, I was exhausted. True, I had less sleep than usual, but could forgetting my Prednisone for two days affect me so severely? I was in the process of weaning myself down from...

Last reply
  • metho and coug

Hi I am taking metho to help get off prednisone I was told to increase to 6 tabs I have issue with severe bloating, shortness of breath and cough Thought was to start prilosec, as thinking was cough was gerd  and sob was bloating  and to delay metho for a few days from weekly time and deceease...

Last reply
  • temporal arteritis or something else ongoing problems

Hi everyone, i have posted a few months ago, and am still having the frustration of being in continuous pain and feeling ill..my background is that i have been having joint pains and squeezing type pains,then feeling ok one minute, and the next feeling like i am going to get a really bad cold and am...

Last reply
  • PMR still on 15mg prednisolone but have now seen rheumatologist

Hi all, last time I posted I was waiting for an appointment with a Rheumatologist and had been on 15mg prednisilone for about 3 weeks with a good response but still getting some morning stiffness, much better than before treatment, that faded away within 2 or 3 hours of taking Pred. Since then I have...

Last reply
  • broken arm - reduce steroids?

Now I've broken my arm, and it hurts enough to need di something codeine, as well as paracetemol, and is/was effectively an open fracture so I'm also an antibiotic, so shall I try and reduce pred from 8 mg/day to 5? thoughts please?

Last reply
  • Reducing Prednisone with new onset of fever

Hi, was diagnosed mid December of last year and was put on 10 mg of Prednisone which initially worked well.  Last month my pain was seeming to increase and since I was going on vacation my Rheumatologist upped my dose to 15 mg.  I felt really good - better than ever!  He told me to drop...

Last reply
  • Alteration of Taste

Been on prednisone/methylprednisolone for 2 years now for my PMR (currently on 11mg methyl). I made a mug of coffee this morning and it tasted so salty that I had to throw it out. Made another mug and same deal. Thinking it might be something at my house I went to a friends house and tried a cup there...

Last reply
  • Defeated

Hi everyone I hope you are all doing as well as can be. I am so upset today as I have discovered my GP is not taking care of me. initially in Nov last year I was diagnosed with PMR, put on 15mg pred, for 4 weeks then 12.5 for 4 weeks, now on 10 since 9th Jan. I have had one blood test, that was to diagnose...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.