Skip to content

Polymyalgia Rheumatica and GCA

Also known as GCA - Giant Cell Arteritis, Temporal Arteritis

All discussions in this group

Next
  • No longer receiving emails

A couple weeks ago I stopped receiving emails from this group.  I reset all my settings but it hasn’t helped.  Anyone else have this problem?  Thank you!

Last reply
  • Vitamin K2 etc.

Been doing a bit of wombling round nutrition wesites etc. A few quotes "Vitamin K2 is mainly found in meat, egg yolk, liver, butter, hard cheese, soft cheese and natto" (Not sure about trying Natto though - apparently somewhat smelly fermented soy beans) "Cheese contains the …

Last reply
  • Painful wrist is this part of GCA, PMR Fibromialga.

Well I've got myself to 10mg pred had a bad last 2 weeks with chronic fatigue worst ever had but couple of days ago woke up feeling great smiling from my inner self if that makes sense. Any now I have woke with a really sore left wrist I mean painful can't turn I've put one of those …

Last reply
  • benefits of Methotrexate

I am hoping there are a few people on this Forum who could advise me as to begin taking Methotrexate, or not. It was put to me to possibly try this method to be able to get me off Prednisone. I remember reading about people on this Forum who are on it, or have in the past used it. I did some …

Last reply
  • Blood test for PV - Polycythaemia - why?

Wise & wonderful people here - I have more questions!  I had to go for blood tests today and now that I'm more jenned-up about PMR, blood tests, etc., I asked the nurse what my previous (first) blood test results were - fully expecting them to be for ESR & CRP. But apparently I …

Last reply
  • Awful tooth aches!!

...hi again It's Lynda. Does anyone else out there experience terrible toothpain, painful jaws, and gum pain? I went down on prednisone today from 9.5mg to 9mg. Now I'm experiencing the forementioned in a very big way! I have a couple of cavities (major dentist phobia, and I mean MAJOR!), …

Last reply
  • Cant get below 20mg

I have PMR since Sept. 2017. I cant get below 20mg pred. I have tried 2 times 2 1/2mg the first time, then 2mg the second time. C Reactive Protien we t up both times to 3.3. and pain came back both times. What do you all think j I should do? I really want to lower my Pred. because I have …

Last reply
  • Polymyalgia Rheumatica

Two fingers in my right hand and one in my left are swollen, misshapen and extremely painful. Does anyone have experience with compression gloves for pain relief?

Last reply
  • What exactly do blood tests show?

I've been on 15mg pred for 3 weeks now (PMR). I have an appointment for a blood test on 20th August, and a phone appointment with a GP on 21st - I assume to discuss reducing the pred. I assume the blood test will be to check for ESR and CRP levels - but what exactly are they?! I know vaguely …

Last reply
  • Anybody taking hydrocortizone steroid instead of prednisone?

I saw my regular dr yesterday and she said I simply have to get off the pred. because I am still gaining weight.  I tried for a month to eat well, and I went to the dr thinking I had lost at least a pound.  No, I had gained 9 pounds, three pounds from 300!  So yesterday and today I …

Last reply
  • pmr flare up after holiday

I was diagnosed with pmr last October after having symptoms for 2 months. I am a very fit and active person, my passion is hillwalking and climbing and the diagnosis was a big shock to me. However I reacted really well to a starting dose of 15mg of Pred and was able to (cautiously at first) resume …

Last reply
  • A great year

Last year after suffering a very bad flare I was depressed and sedentary. EileenH and others motivated me to get moving. I did 1/6 of a mile then 1/3, 2/3 finally a mile. It was very slow progress, as I hobbled along with my cane, I worked at it. I was ready for skiing. I didn't ride my bicycle …

Last reply
  • Why was my PMR related discussion deleted?

Apparently something was said by me that was not allowed. I read over all the terms and conditions and can’t figure out what I said that was not allowed. I really like being on this forum and would really appreciate an explanation as to what I did wrong. A private email is fine but you are welcome …

Last reply
  • More "weird" side effects!

Has anyone out there experienced a feeling of muscles turning to spaghetti? Almost overnight I feel my fat has turned wiggly and jiggly and has slipped away from my bones. Am I alone in this phenomenon? Another weird side effect of this whole pmr/prednisone situation?

Last reply
  • Methotrexate

i am on mtx forRA , I also have pmr. i do sometimes think am I doing the right thing by taking both. at the moment I had to miss my weekly mtx as I have a kindney infection, and I must say I am suffering more with RA than pred at the moment, but last week I could have said my pmr was worse, and I …

Last reply
  • Antibiotics and PMR

I have had PMR for about 2 years and I'm currently taking 11mg of methylprednisolone. Have had problems in the past getting below 10mg. I unfortunately ran into a dental infection last week and was placed on Amoxicillin. During this time I have found that my PMR symptoms have improved and I' …

Last reply
  • Off the wall side effects??

This probably is gonna sound insane, but has anyone out there experienced some very strange, nondescript type of side effects from prednisone? ie interior of mouth feeling very hot and sorta tender? Also, numbness/tingling in feet and hands? Pls. let me know. I'm feeling like a hypercondriac!

Last reply
  • GCA

i have just been diagnosed with GCA - should I rest more with this condition or carry on as usual 

Last reply
  • Questions about PMR

I am new to this group and asking quite a few questions for my husband. In the end of May, he started to experience pain in his shoulders and groin. It was so uncomfortable that he couldn't sleep at all. This has lead to 5 general practice doctors visits, 2 MRIs, an X-Ray, an EMG, an orthopedic …

Last reply
  • My PMR seems like a life sentence.

I've had PMR for about 5 years now. I've tried several times over those years to decrease my use of prednisone, but can't seem to get below 2-1/2mg. I took myself off prednisone for a couple of weeks and had to start back two days ago; however I don't think 2-1/2 is enough of a …

Last reply
  • How to curb Appetite

That husband of mine again! Pred liable to increae weight - also increases appetite. Blood glucose levels up also. I've told him that the narrow breadsticks may be low in carbs and sugar - but not if he keeps munching them. He's gone up to the back bedroom where the TV is - no munchies up …

Last reply
  • So PMR sufferers usually have swelling in arms and legs?

Hi Everyone. I’ve been reading through this site for a few weeks since my GP gave me a “possible” diagnosis of PMR. I will have my first Rhemy appointment later this week and am hoping to get some firm, or clearer idea of what is wrong. I’m a healthy 56 year old woman, usually active by swimming, …

Last reply
  • Reducing too fast?

I just want to let people out there know that my method was to reduce down from 15mg as quickly as possible as this is not generally well regarded. However it has worked fine for me, I very soon got down to 5mg and I guess within less than a year to 1mg. For a while I have been on about 1/2mg and …

Last reply
  • PMR and RA treatment question

I have PMR since November 2015 and was slowly reducing and got to 3mg, when I started having problems with knuckle joints, pain, weakness and swelling.  About 3 weeks ago I saw Rheumi and he suggested not to reduce pred any more and also gave me some ointment for inflammation/pain. It helped a …

Last reply
  • Pred and Blood Glucose "Spikes"

This is puzzling husband (and I) as the word "spike" implies short period of time with low or normal levels either side - so how significant is a spike? If a spike occurs between testing then there's no record of it so one could go for days  unaware that spikes are/were occurring.

Last reply
  • Turmeric, Bicarb and Pred Reduction

After reading ‘abnormal’ on my blood test results I was a bit concerned about being anaemic but Eileen pointed out that this is fairly normal with our condition. Karenjanizaz gave it a name ‘anaemia of chronic disease’ (also known as anaemia of inflammation) and pointed out that turmeric is …

Last reply
  • POLYMYALGIA AND RELAPSES

I was diagnosed with PMR Dec 2015 with devastating symptoms however, I was treated promptly. Each time I reduce to less than 5mg of prednisone, I relapse.  The pain and stiffness targeted my R knee, and then the L knee, which left me unable to move that limb. I  immediately took a loading …

Last reply
  • Thankyou

Thankyou so much to everyone who replied to my message. I now feel much better emotionally. I find it hard to slow down having been a very active person. I used to run 5-6 miles, 10 min miles, 3 times a week and think nothing of it. I can now only manage a slow 3 mile run once a week but I keep …

Last reply
  • Physiotherapy and PMR

I wonder if anyone would care to share experiences, insight, and knowledge re physio therapy and PMR. For example, has a TENS machine used on acupressure points helped to reduce inflammation? Ultrasound, yoga, Alexander method? Any and all modalities would count. Thank you for your wonderful brains …

Last reply
  • Still winded.

I have had PMR for just under 2 years.  I started at 20mg Pred know off Pred completely.  I tapered off .5 to 1 mg a month.   I still have very little energy in the morning and feel out of breath a bit.  As the day goes on I feel more normal.   Wondering if this is PMR …

Last reply
  • THE TWO YEAR PMR MYTH

Recently, I started  emailing my GP information derived from this site. He thanked me for being a perfect patient.  We help each other.  Today I thought to look at some of the sites recommended by  EmisModerator, seven years ago.  I chose Patient Plus articles aimed at …

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.