Well this is a new one for me Polymyalgia rheumatica

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just been diagnosed with this and put on prednisone 6 tablets per day treatment.

Would really appreciate anyone with the same condition to chat to

thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I too have been diagnosed and new to me as well. the symptoms are debilitating and prednisone works only after a few hours for me but I still can feel uncomfortable especially in shoulders. morning s are awful at times with groin, hips even hands and back of knees. I am 57. fit as I used to run daily and not overweight. I hope you are managing and sorry you have this awful condition. keep strong, its not easy I know as I crumble at times as it brings me to tears. Good to talk

• Posted

Hi gill88268.

I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago.

Good to finally have a name for an issue that has been troubling me since January 2022.

First doctor I saw, just assumed I was being a hypochondriac and he said the soreness, stiffness and pain was....... "all in my head".

Thankfully I am now seeing a doctor who knows what she is doing.

She advised me the main treatment was high doses of prednisone every day for several years, and I have rejected that treatment (for now at least - I told her it was the last resort for me).

This is due to a past health condition 20 years ago, where I had to take high doses of prednisone every day (14 tablets) and I had so many side effects that the "cure" turned out to be worse than the condition almost.

Anyway the day after she diagnosed, I quit sugar and have started an anti-inflammatory diet, plus taking more natural medication, and it has been life changing in terms of less pain, less stiffness and less soreness.

Yesterday morning and this morning, I walked 10,000 steps and went for a swim. A month ago this would have been impossible.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.