Polymylagia Rheumatica

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have had Polymylagia Rheumatica for 6 weeks that came on immediately after Covid. Has anyone else had a similar experience ? Am still suffering with hip girdle and shoulder pain and now on 15mg prednisone which I have been advised by a rheumatologist to take for 6 weeks before reducing. I was on a higher dose initially but had too many side effects. Am also taking Ibroprofen when needed for the pain. Am usually very active and finding this so debilitating and depressing.

Be interested to hear others experiences and hopefully positive ones !

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

you may have more luck on healthunlocked for PMR.

• Posted

my symptoms came on 3 days in to covid. so much pain in my shoulder, arm& now breast. painkillers don't help fully & it's such a worry. I am having an Mri tomorrow that I've funded myself because of the anxiety. I don't know what happened.... I didn't get covid too bad .

• Posted

sorry to hear that.

Good luck with the MRI

Hope you have a good Dr. too as it can all become a bit expensive but understand what you mean about health issues causing anxiety .

• Posted

I was diagnosed with PMR in Aug 2020 after having COVID in Mar 2020. Although they doctors can't confirm that this was the cause, it seems obvious to me. Twice I have managed to reduce my steroid dose down to 2mg but both times the pain has begun again in my hips shoulders and neck. Although my doctor did get me to reduce slowly it hasn't worked. I've been told that I may need to stay on a 3mg dose for quite some time. I am currently on 5mg. My doctor is really good but as I already have osteoporosis, I worry that I the steroids will make it worse.

I take naproxen for the pain but these can upset my stomach.

Can anyone out there convince me that if I slowly reduce the dose to nothing, will the PMR eventually burn itself out if it returns?

• Posted

I've only just checked this site out, which is very useful, but as jeanie5026 says HealthUnlocked is the place to look where there is a PMR community which will be very understanding & helpful, so don't be afraid to ask any questions.

• Posted

Hi yes I can identify with this although my PMR came on after the first Covid jab February of 2021, at first I thought it was arthritis but normal painkillers weren't helping then after my second jab in May the pain was excruciating I knew then this was more than arthritis, eventually got diagnosed and put on 15mg Prednisolone worked like a dream. I am now down to 1mg on alternate days. I did report this through the yellow flag reporting system. I still have painful days but have found that weights and resistance exercises and Aqua help alot! For me anyway. I have a neighbour who is a physiotherapist and says since Covid he's recieving approximately an extra 5 referrals a week. However I do still have my boosters with none of the original problems experienced perhaps my immune system has recognised the Covid virus and deals with it or perhaps tweeking in the production of the vaccine has improved it. Any way good luck on your journey there is a light at the end of the day

• Posted

Hi jeannette

I am very new to this only recently diagnosed please can you tell me how long it took for you to begin to feel better after starting prednisolone

thank you.

• Posted

Hi jeanie

I am just turned 70 and right out of the blue have been diagnosed with PR.

Last two months pain in neck, shoulders upper arms and lack of mobility , also general stiffness and discomfort. Thought at first it was just a touch of arthritis and so tried all the usual gels, Voltorol etc and it did nothing whatsoever.

no pain killers seemed to work either.

So now have been prescribed prednisilone 6 x 5mg tablets per day.

I am SO hoping that this treatment works as I am normally a very very active lady, walking my dog twice a day and looking after my son with Aspergers. also have 2 grandsons.

I would appreciate any experience with this condition and medication you might be able to share.

thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.