Silent Acid Reflux (laryngo-pharyngeal reflux (LPR)).

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just learned the existence of Silent Acid Reflux (laryngo-pharyngeal reflux (LPR)). Silent Acid Reflux is a possible side effect of taking prednisone. I have been experiencing it for about three months. I had an endoscopy and been to see a throat and nose doctor. My chest tests do not show signs of having pneumonia or do I have heart problems. I only took prednisone for a week. I was given it at the ER when experiencing an asthmaattack. The ER doctor took an X-ray but it did not prove I had pneumonia but he wanted to play it save. It brought on extreme anxiety and now slowly I have been able to swallow again. I still have a lump in my throat. Yet I am down to taking natural things like apple cider vinegar before eating and baking soda when it gets bad with water. Herb teas and eating smaller portions of food manage it too. I have lost twenty pounds; I am unhappy with how my doctors at Kaiser Permanente ignore the side effects and tend to try and give me more drugs even though they tell me I have nothing wrong with me. One doctor told me I need to deal with my anxiety. I am a 61 year old woman and have had many tests done over this. I am wondering if this will go away with time? I have learned a great deal about this... I feel like I am missing something. I meditate and am trying alternative healing too. I feel like the drug raped me and my doctors don't seem to take it seriously.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You don't have PMR/GCA I assume? The members of this group takes corticosteroids over long period - at least months and often years. I would say the majority of us do not have silent reflux, nor even reflux of any sort. We are often told to take either a PPI or histamine antagonist to reduce the problems but many of us don't need even that. I have, for example, been on pred for nearly 10 years and had no gastric problems at all. And that is the same for many of the members of this community.

Experience suggests it is extremely unlikely that it was a week of pred that led to you having this problem - silent reflux is a common problem and it is more likely that the pred brought it to your notice. All you can really do under the circumstances is get your doctors to take you seriously and explain how to deal with the problems you have. Starting to take either a PPI (omeprazole or the like) or a histamine antagonist such as Zantac or Pepdi-ac may be helpful.

• Posted

it was a week and yes it is as I SAID! no more drugs ! Omeprazole and others are proton pump inhibitor that decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach. Have you heard the side effects on these drugs? I take pepsin enzymes , DGL LICORICE ROOT EXTRACT! I found the only drug that did not make me sick is the SUCRALFATE which I TOOK FOR TWO WEEKS. ! i don't even no if this is what I HAVE! IT MAY ONLY be THE CAUSE AND EFFECT TAKING THE STEROID! it was like a freight train hitting my adrenal glands. i have never experienced anything like this in my life!

• Edited

Hi Holly, I take Omeprazole every morning it seems to have eliminated the problem. Good luck!

• Posted

Omeprazole and others are proton pump inhibitor that decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach! caused me chest pains made it worse!

• Posted

I am sorry Holly we are all different. I hope you find relief.

• Posted

Have you tried a histamine inhibitor such as ranitidine? Totally different mechanism so different adverse effects but do the same thing.

• Posted

Hello Holly,

unlike you I do have PMR and I have suffered from reflux for a number of years. 4 years ago I

suffered an esophogeal spasm (brought on by anxiety) which was very painful and was hospitalised in case it was a heart attack. I was not on steroids at the time.

While pred can upset the tummy,it can be managed and if you are no longer on pred I do not think this can be the cause if your discomfort. To this day I rely on Gaviscon Advance liquid and also gp prescribed lansoprozole. So far this seems to work for me.

I Hope you can find an answer to your problem. Another good soother is yoghurt.

Regards,

Barbara

• Posted

Im reading this 3 years after the fact. wondering if you still have the same issues 3 years later. I am experiencing what you have written. my doctors are pretty much like yours, I'd appreciate your response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.