Constant Nosebleeds. Advice??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

On Saturday night I got a nosebleed. It seemed normal enough, and I was able to stop it. Sunday had my nose full of brown mucus that i thought was dried blood. But on Monday suddenly it started bleeding out of nowhere again. I had 3/4 nosebleeds between 5 and 12, ending with my coughing up blood so i rang 111 and got sent to the Emergancy Clinic.

When I got there it was no longer bleeding so I got given an anti-bacteria nasal cream, Naseptin? And told there was nothing they could do. They didn't check anything except BP. 

I got home & promptly had quite a bad nosebleed, but it did stop after 10-20 minutes so i tried to sleep and had ANOTHER nosebleed. When they stopped I went to bed and managed to sleep 4-5 hours till this morning. 

I've not had a nosebleed today but I did cough up brown, green and bloody mucus. I went to my GP and explained what happened. She checked in my nose and throat and said to take the cream. I tried to explain I feel really anxious which isn't helping the bleeds and I can't know how much blood I've lost down my throat or out my nose because none of them are amazingly bad but they are so frequent. 

She said if they are managable but continue for 2-3 mroe days come back & they can do blood tests and things. But if i can't stop one go to a&e. But even with the very worst ones i've had by the time i get to a&e they've stopped.

I just don't feel like anyone's helping me or understanding or if there's anything they can actually do. And I feel on edge, all the time. Because I used to get very bad nosebleeds and I'm worried each time that it could be another bad one like that. 

I don't know what I need---just some advice what to ask for help wise? Thank you. 

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What was your BP that time when they checked it
    • Posted

I'm not sure. But they said it was normal. 

My GP made me stand to check it too, to check I hadn't lost a significent amount of blood apparently? 

So I don't think it's a BP issue... At least from what they said.

• Posted

Dear Pandacake, I had a VERY similar experience and I hope it able to help you! I have never had a nosebleed ever in my life and one day after prepping dinner I sat down and tasted something in my throat then bam..blood like a faucet! Of course I couldn't get ahold of anymore so I tried to tilt my head back. Stupid mistake lol. Finally got it to stop and it happened 3 more times that evening.

Later around 3 am they wouldn't stop. Went to ER and got a room asap because I was called a "bleeder" They asked did I take aspirin, blood thinners. bpressure meds. NO. Have I had bleeds before NO, NEVER. They thought I was lying I think lol.

Next they tried shoving super painful pads up my nose, didn't work. Hurt bad! Next they tried ballonns up there and it worked for about maybe 5 minutes and they blew. Finally Dr says I had a rare posteroir nose bleed that needed surgery and I must've blown arteries. We later found this was the case because I have Sjogren's Syndrome which basically sucks moisture out of all your organs. They transported by ambulance to the nearest hospital with an ENT surgeon and while in the ambulance it blew out again at which point the ambulance lights and sorens went on and I was asked to NOT try and bleed over the whole ambulance...seriously...like I could control it. When we got to the 2nd hospital, the look of hooror on all the nurses faces was pretty bad and in the end I have had the surgery, and am still healing 9 weeksor so later. There's more but I am sure I have bored you enough already smile

The moral to my story is keep doing what you're doing and going to the hospital. Even though many healthcare workers can be very rude and lack even a resemblance of bedside manner there are good ones out there! Please look up Posterior Nosebleeds and see if this fits you. Wishing you the best of luck and keep me updated smile

• Posted

That sounds so very terrifying...

I'm so sorry that happened to you! I hope you heal well now. I'm glad that everything seemed to go well. 

I've heard of that Syndrome. It sounds pretty difficult to deal with. I don't know if mine's anything like that. 

As I type this I've not had a nosebleed for 12/13 hours. I know that might jinx it but... I'm happy it's been that long at least. I just want it to stop. 

• Posted

Hi I am so happy you have made it so long! That's terriffic!!! If it happens again I would be concerned over a posterior nose bleed but you can probably rule out an artery bleed thank goodness! Wishing you well!!!

• Posted

Thank you so much!

How can I tell if it's a posterior bleed as aposed to a frontal bleed?

• Posted

Do u also have upset stomach?
    • Posted

I keep feeling nauseus sometimes but no diahrea or cramps or anything. 
    • Posted

you could be feeling nauseus because the blood dripping down your throat is going into your stomach.
  • Posted

I just got another bleed. Pinched for 10 minutes seemed to stop it pouring...

But I can feel myself wanting to cry. Because I just don't understand. I thought it was looking like it was clearing up, and the burning was the break healing, but it's just happened again... 

• Posted

Hi! OOH I am so sorry you have another! A posterior nosebleed happens way in the back of your nose, not the front which is typical and the blood tends to run down your throat which is the big difference. They are much nore rare! Usually you need surgery to have it cauterized to get it to stop. I think you need to get to a doctor and check for that and to see if you have blown an artery.
    • Posted

Please keep me updated but I really hope you go  to a dr asap! I thought mine was different from what I heard they were supposed to be like, but after hours of off on bleeding and it going to my throat and etc I am glad I went and gotthe surgery I needed. I am thinking of you.
  • Posted

Maybe its sinus related.or may be due to hotness of your stomach.but don't let it go alone.go ER and asked from them to resolve your problem

• Posted

I have been to ER. I have also been to my GP. :c
  • Posted

I know this may sound silly, but I really need someone to answer me, even if you think the answer is obvious.

My GP told me to go to the A&E if i can't stop the bleeding, but I can stop the blood pouring out after 10 minutes. However, that was 2 hours ago. And everytime I hold tissue near my nose it comes away with pink mucus or watery blood. 

Does this count as still bleeding or just that there is blood in my nose still?

• Posted

There's still some watery blood now 4 hours later. Not lots at all. But Is that normal?

• Posted

I have never had a regular nosebleed and im not a dr so I can't say but everything I read says no and to have bleeds for over 2 days isn't normal in my opinion. I think you need an ENT asap. Just my opinion and not trying to scare you. Hopefully it could be a simple fix.

• Posted

I understand. I know you're not trying to scare me and just trying to do the right thing.

I've seen an emergancy doctor & my GP but I'm going to go back to my GP tomorrow or Friday (whenever I can get the appointment.) 

I just am worried over possible causes, now, considering my spleen area had been hurting recently. I read up and apparently Spleen/liver problems and reccuring nosebleeds can be signs of leukemia. I feel like reading up was a bad idea.

• Posted

Hi Panda, I am sorry to hear about your spleen. Somethimes reading up can be good or bad. Honestly, I do it and it helped me diagnose my Hidradeniti Suppurativ when the doctors couldn't. They came to agree with me 100%. Other times it can cause unneeded panic. Either way, you are doing the right thing going to your GP very soon but I would ask for a referral to an ENT for sure!!!!! Are you in the US or where? I am in WIsconsin.

• Posted

Hey!

I'm glad it helped you! Yeah, I'm going to my GP today but it's not the doctor I usually see.

I'm in England. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.