Constant Nosebleeds. Advice??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

On Saturday night I got a nosebleed. It seemed normal enough, and I was able to stop it. Sunday had my nose full of brown mucus that i thought was dried blood. But on Monday suddenly it started bleeding out of nowhere again. I had 3/4 nosebleeds between 5 and 12, ending with my coughing up blood so i rang 111 and got sent to the Emergancy Clinic.

When I got there it was no longer bleeding so I got given an anti-bacteria nasal cream, Naseptin? And told there was nothing they could do. They didn't check anything except BP. 

I got home & promptly had quite a bad nosebleed, but it did stop after 10-20 minutes so i tried to sleep and had ANOTHER nosebleed. When they stopped I went to bed and managed to sleep 4-5 hours till this morning. 

I've not had a nosebleed today but I did cough up brown, green and bloody mucus. I went to my GP and explained what happened. She checked in my nose and throat and said to take the cream. I tried to explain I feel really anxious which isn't helping the bleeds and I can't know how much blood I've lost down my throat or out my nose because none of them are amazingly bad but they are so frequent. 

She said if they are managable but continue for 2-3 mroe days come back & they can do blood tests and things. But if i can't stop one go to a&e. But even with the very worst ones i've had by the time i get to a&e they've stopped.

I just don't feel like anyone's helping me or understanding or if there's anything they can actually do. And I feel on edge, all the time. Because I used to get very bad nosebleeds and I'm worried each time that it could be another bad one like that. 

I don't know what I need---just some advice what to ask for help wise? Thank you. 

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello, so, uh. Been to my GP today. It was a trainee doctor I saw that I've never seen before. I told him about what happened and my fears about Leukemia or other blood disorders.

He checked my lymph nodes but said they were down which should be re-assuring right now, and he took some blood for general blood tests.

Then told me to go to a&e because---honestly he didn't know what to do? And I told him if it's not bleeding right now I can't go they won't know what to do? They told me that. And so I went all apologetic and the nurse was lovely. Made me feel a lot better than monday, checked nose, BP, usual stuff. She rang the ENT doctor and they just said keep at the cream until Mon/Tuesday when you get the test results and go to your GP. If it's still happening get an ENT referral. 

The only real good thing to come out of it was that the vein the doctor tapped for bloods stopped bleeding straight after he was done, no trouble getting it to stop or clot. So I'm hoping that's a good sign that my blood is okay... 

I'm trying to be positive.

• Posted

Apparently, the A&E nurse told me no clotting tests were done though, just for general things. So. 

• Posted

Hi, well that is some good news!!! SO glad they are going to run the tests that are needed and my fingers are crossed you get to see the ENT! smile
    • Posted

Anytime! Please keep me updated, and wishing you well!
    • Posted

I will! Thank you very much. I hope you're well too!

• Posted

Hey,

Updates!

On the positives, I haven't had a nosebleed since last week. It's been about 5 days now. I'm very thankful. 

On the downside, my blood test results came back. My bloods seem generally fine but my bone profile result was abnormal? Not abnormal enough for them to call me in, I had to ring and find out myself but I want to make an appointment with the doctor as I don't really understand how abnormal or what that could mean.

Given I was worried about Leukemia previously it's not--- good? Would that be a sign of leukemia? 

• Posted

Hi!! SO wonderful no nosebleeds! As far as abnormal bone profile I have no idea but I don't think that's a test that could have a false positive. I wouldn't jump to conclusions about cancer so soon though. I had horribly high liver enzymes at one time and they thught it was HEP but wasn't and they slowly returned to normal on their own. WIll be reading up on this though and get back to you soon. Best wishes-Jsmile

• Posted

Thank you! 

I'd really appriciate any information because I'm trying to avoid looking up things that're going to make me panic.

So far yeah I'm very happy with no nosebleeds. I am slowly calming back down. Nearly out of the Nazeptin time, got a few more days so I'm only hoping they don't return after that.

• Posted

hi there. hope you are doing fine. im am concerned about my posterior nose bleed too. its not a lot but it drips in the throat and i spit it out when it comes. i had a bad facial injury and trauma under my eye because of which i had to get stitches as well. the posterior nose bleed started a day after that. i went to the ER and they did an xray of my face. Nothing found. the doc said wait it out for a few days as it could be because of the injury. Im a little freaked and already took appointment with my GP in three days time. I am wondering if i should go to ER again before that. even if it is mild its constant. i dont know how to stop it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.