Constipation After Haemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone

Firstly, just want to say i have found this forum invaluable - equally informative and reassuring. Massive thanks to all who have shared their experience of haemorrhoidectomy.

So i had my op 8 weeks ago. x3 large grade 3 removed with open surgery under spinal anaesthetic. i have to say i was nothing less than amazed at how well i seemed to cope with the recovery, basically back to normal activities by day 3. Discomfort managed with paracetamol and very careful diet. I had a moderate amount of blood loss and fecal loss in the first couple of weeks but that soon cleared up.

So you will be wondering what my problem is !?

Well, here I am 8 weeks post-op and can't poo !!

I am being ultra-careful with my diet, am taking stool softeners, plenty plenty of fluids, good amount exercise ... but still my stool is soooo hard that i just cannot pass it and have to give it a helping hand - literally! This is just the first part of the poo, what follows is soft to the point of almost diarrhoea. When this happens it is extremely uncomfortable , i cannot sit or even think straight. No amount of straining makes any difference. It can take half a day to pass the stool and i am in considerable discomfort afterwards.

I am totally at a loss as to what to do.

The stool literally is like the proverbial tortoise head but it just will not come out!

I had a telecon with my GP (actually trainee) who said use a suppository and didn't seem to understand that in order to do that I would literally have to insert it through the emerging poo!

I have tried laxatives too but although i get all the growling noises any tummy cramps it makes no difference to my ability to actually being able to get it out !

Has anyone else experienced this please ? Can anyone offer any advice? I am so so upset with this situation.

Thanks for reading this, sorry its so long!

Joanne

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi Joanne,

sorry to hear about your problem. A rare side effect of haemorrhoid surgery is Anal stenosis, also known as an anal stricture, is the narrowing of the anal canal, located just before the anal sphincter. this can make it harder to poo.

If your concerned you should speak to the surgeon or someone other than a trainee.

I hope this helps

Ian

• Edited

oh my goodness Ian ! Thank you so much ... I will certainly start that process today as i can't carry on like this ! thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.