Conversion from hip resurfacing to total hip replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had left and right hip resurfacing in recent years (7 and 10 years ago) but was recalled back because of MOM complications. I have six monthly checks, xrays, blood tests and MRI's.   I have high metal levels in my blood, some metallosis(metal fragments building up) in my left hip and the left hip has become loosened.  I am due for left hip revision 18 March 2016 and am so frightened.  I am in pain all the time so know it's necessary, but can't help feeling really worried.  I don't know if it will be posterior or anterior but heard anterior is less invasive.  Has anyone been through this?  I would be grateful for a chat!  I am 59 years of age (female).  I had my 59th birthday last Saturday (6th Feb).

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did u have a metal metal hip replacement?
    • Posted

Hi Colin.  At the moment, I have metal on metal hip resurfacing.  I suppose back then, when these were fitted, it was for younger people who were fit.
  • Posted

Hi, Pammy! Sounds like you have been having a hard time lately, and I hope your hip replacement will resolve the problems you are having with your left hip after the resurfacing. As far as what approach your surgeon will use for your THR, you should ask him what he will be doing. It is supposed to be a choice made determined by his skills and in consultation with you, the patient. Find out as much as you can from him about what he is planning for your surgery. His office and/or the hospital where you are having it done should be giving you materials in advance to help prepare you. There is also a wealth of information online and in forums like this one.  Do you have any specific worries you want to ask us about?
    • Posted

Hi AnnieK.  Thanks for your message.  I think when I had my hip resurfacings I was really naive, but have been asking questions recently.  I think I'm just worried because it's revision.  I was told there wasn't anything untoward from the latest MRI scan done (3 weeks ago) which is comforting!!  Also, I was told if the consultant that studied the MRI results had any concerns, he would have contacted me quickly.  I'm also worried about the general anaesthetic, and if I should think about spinal.  I had an epidural anaesthetic when I had my daughter 35 years ago.  I do have some back problems on occasion and wonder if it was because of the epidural.  Who knows eh. 
    • Posted

It's good you are asking questions. Be sure to find out which approach he is using for your THR, as there are several different kinds, and it's useful to know ahead of time which will be done. As far as which kind of anesthetic, I have only had experience with the general, and it was fine for me, no problems. Others swear by the epidural or spinal. All have advantages and disadvantages. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Pammy

Greetings

I joined this helpful site nearly a year ago after my THR. This was my right leg...my left hip was resurfaced about 12 yrs ago. I've not had any pain....so am reluctant to ask for tests for metals given it seems fine still.

Just wishing you luck and hope pain gets better

Mic.x

• Posted

Hey there mic71403.  I think if there was a problem with you resurfacing implant, you would have been recalled.  If you're not experiencing anything, that's great.  I don't think you would need to worry.  My right hip resurfacing is great (touch wood), so I don't tend to worry about that.  It's just my left one which has caused me problems over the years.  Whenever I have my tests, the right hip never gets mentioned by the consultant!!  Also, because it doesn't cause me any problems, I don't ever think about it!!
    • Posted

Hi Mic

it would be sensible to have the tests done if you have metal linings because the metal ions can be gathering in your system. I really don't want to be scaremongering but if you had it done 12 years ago you may have dropped off the radar for recall checking. At the very least phone your G P and ask for advice.

• Posted

Please make sure you get your chromium and cobalt checked. As it could   be destroying your tissue without you even knowing yet,..like having a prostate or mammogram check, it's always better to find out early than later. .there is wealth of information on a Facebook group called Total Hip Replacement News run by Dr Earl. 
    • Posted

I never got a recall from hip implant, somehow it slipped through the loop.

i spent 3 years trying to find out what was wrong when all they'd keep saying was everything looks fine on X-ray..well it sure didn't feel fine,..Finally found a surgeon who had never used the metal on metal as he didn't like the idea way back then, and so he has become very popular within the Aussie metal hip Implants..when he took out my hip the cup was full of metal shards where they had been rubbing together shaving bits off it,

,'

• Posted

Yes that's the same person... Earlsview is dr Earls blog then there is Hip replacement news, also run by Earl.he has done a substantial amount of research on metal on metal hips. ..he is the guru..
  • Posted

Don't worry Pammy I had a revision from a metal on metal hip implant 2 years ago, you will feel so much better to get that poisonous thing out of you.

its a bit harder surgery but you will feel so much better, are you on Facebook? There is a very good support group for exactly what you are going through.

• Posted

Hello Mary0606.  Nice to hear from you and thanks for your support. I really hope you are completely free of the metals and your life is better since your op.  It's nice to hear that there is a light at the end of the very long tunnel I feel I am in at the moment.  I'm not on Facebook unfortunately but the people on the site have been really nice and supportive.  I only joined yesterday evening!
    • Posted

Just remember dont compare this surgery to your last. It's never the same twice,or even other people's for that matter, if I can help any further, do let me know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.