Conversion from hip resurfacing to total hip replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had left and right hip resurfacing in recent years (7 and 10 years ago) but was recalled back because of MOM complications. I have six monthly checks, xrays, blood tests and MRI's.   I have high metal levels in my blood, some metallosis(metal fragments building up) in my left hip and the left hip has become loosened.  I am due for left hip revision 18 March 2016 and am so frightened.  I am in pain all the time so know it's necessary, but can't help feeling really worried.  I don't know if it will be posterior or anterior but heard anterior is less invasive.  Has anyone been through this?  I would be grateful for a chat!  I am 59 years of age (female).  I had my 59th birthday last Saturday (6th Feb).

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi All. Just to say that my brother had a hip resurfacing about 5 years ago. He asked about metal poisoning and was told by his very experienced surgeon that provided the acetabular cup was fitted "at exactly 42 degrees" there would be no problems with metal leakage etc. He's been fine ever since and has yearly checkups. He checked the angle of the cup on his X-Rays (he's like that!) and it was positioned at exactly 42 degrees. I wonder if others have been told this?
    • Posted

Well I'm sorry to say that isn't always true....Has your brother had blood tests done to see how much  chromium and cobalt he has, as that can cause damage before you even know something is wrong. 

I can put you in touch with many people that have had enormous trouble with resurfacing..yet they were told the X-rays were fine,

It's  called Total hip replacement news on Facebook run by Dr Earl.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.