Coughing up blood for 2 months

Posted , 10 users are following.

As I've said in previous posts been diagnosed with non allergic rhinitis... I KNOW I'm allergic to something! Feb to Sept mucus green or yellow and severe cough every year resulting in laryingitis for 6 weeks each time. Anyway.... this year things have taken a turn and I have now been coughing up blood for the past 2 months mainly at night time. Sometimes fresh blood but mostly in green phlegm. I'm having a second chest CT scan tomorrow including abdomen and pelvis as first scan showed query scarring and infection. Should get the results tomorrow afternoon. Obviously scared. Coughing up blood has nasty indications, but I am pretty sure it's to do with this rhinitis... Grateful for any insight folks..

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi  I don't know about rhinitis but I do know there are many reasons for coughing up blood which aren't serious.  Eg.  Coughing a lot can damage veins in your throat and they can bleed - I get that sometimes.   Are you on any ab's?   Green usually means an infection.  

A doctor told me once that fresh blood usually means a vein and it's when you cough up darker older blood that this more serious.

I sincerely hope it is nothing serious and it can be sorted out easily.  I am thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs.  Let us know how you get on please.  x

• Posted

That's reassuring Hypercat smile Thank you .. 

I get the phlegm every year for 9 months it's some sort of allergy but they don't know what to. Very fustrating. Had the phlegm tested before and it wasn't infectious supposedly. They only seem to be taking it seriously now it has come to this coughing up blood.

• Posted

PS just finished a week of antibiotics that didn't make any difference and having TB blood test tomorrow.
    • Posted

My husband has TB Sharon, if it's a Mantoux test you are having then you shouldn't have to wait to long for results, it's all pretty quick. The treatment is quite a large amount of meds and can be for up to 2 years. Good luck xxxx
    • Posted

Not to alarm you Sharon, but he didn't have any typical symptoms of TB. In fact it was our GP that picked up on it and sent him for testing. Unfortunately he only cleared of it for 3 months and caught it again, he's a greedy bugger, lol. I do wish you well and I'm sure you will be fine. Xxx
    • Posted

Oh dear what happens to everyone you've been in contact with? My 2 year old daughter has a cough..
    • Posted

Oh right so has it always been non latent? I didn't realise you had to treat that xx
    • Posted

Yes always been non latent Sharon, I have heard that it can change though, not sure if that's correct. Yes it still has to be treated. Xxxx
  • Posted

I also don't know much about rhinitis. I agree about the coughing up blood, could be something could be nothing but needs checking out. The colour of your sputum certainly indicates an infection. Hopefully your scan can answer some questions for you. Hope it all goes well and let us know. Sorry my reply isn't very helpful. I wish you well. Xx
    • Posted

Thank you Susan much appreciated. It's a shame you have to get to this stage before they take notice.
  • Posted

Have you thought of dust and dust mites?  I'm not having a go at your housekeeping standards, dust is something I never worried about much until I noticed that my breathing improved and I didn't itch when I was away from home overnight.   I googled and found that dust mite allergy can exacerbate lung conditions.

Initially I got some helpl from the local council but once my energy levels improved when I went off statins I've been able to cope by myself.  I live in a country area and have wood heating and a dog, so dust is a problem I just have to deal with.   I washed all curtains and drapes and vacuumed all the soft furniture, which took ages but has been worth it.   When I start itching for no reason it reminds me to get out the vacuum cleaner.

If you can, try and do a thorough spring clean, with help if necessary, and see if that brings any improvement.

• Posted

Tried that years ago Jude. Allergy test negative for dust too. I do suspect maybe mold spores..
    • Posted

Could be I guess, not a problem where I live though.   I didn't have any allergy tests for the dust or mites, I just worked it out by chance because I had a couple of stays at other houses and didn't itch or get as breathless and tired.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.