Coughing up blood for 2 months

Posted , 10 users are following.

As I've said in previous posts been diagnosed with non allergic rhinitis... I KNOW I'm allergic to something! Feb to Sept mucus green or yellow and severe cough every year resulting in laryingitis for 6 weeks each time. Anyway.... this year things have taken a turn and I have now been coughing up blood for the past 2 months mainly at night time. Sometimes fresh blood but mostly in green phlegm. I'm having a second chest CT scan tomorrow including abdomen and pelvis as first scan showed query scarring and infection. Should get the results tomorrow afternoon. Obviously scared. Coughing up blood has nasty indications, but I am pretty sure it's to do with this rhinitis... Grateful for any insight folks..

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have COPD and I did have rhinitis caused through years of smoking.  The nasal spray I was prescribed and had used for  around 13 years was the cause.

Like you I was coughing up blood and had all the necessary tests done xrays and scans showing no reason as to why I was bring up the blood.

I was eventually sent to ENT consultaand who said that long term use of nasal sprays  have a side effect of causing blood loss. The nose would bleed into the back of the throat and stay there until you coughed it up. I stopped the nasal spary . No more blood.  Hopefully you will have no more problems

Take care of yourself

Lin

• Posted

Thanks Lin. The first scan showed scarring and possible infection which they've said could have lots of different causes but I do expect allergies. I was given a spray last year but I rarely use it as I'm aware of it not being a good thing to just keep masking symptoms..
  • Posted

Hi Sharonamy1965, Sorry you are having such a tough time at the moment. As an asthma sufferer I can empathise with anyone with a cough, but I don't know anything about Rhinitis, sounds awful, and the coughing up blood is certainly worrying.  However you seem like such a sensible person in that you are not neglecting this and are having scans etc. I wish you all the best love and hope you get it all cleared up. Regards Patsy1943
  • Posted

Hello Sharon.

I don't have any advice, other than what others have said...if its fresh blood, chances are the coughing has ruptured a small capillary somewhere. But the green phlegm usually indicates an infection of some sort.

Let us know how your scan results come through.

All the best. x

• Posted

Nodules in both lungs awaiting biopsy
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, please don't be too alarmed by this. My daughter had exactly the same thing and after biopsy they were deemed benign. No further problems since. She was told that 9 times out of ten they are benign. I know it's easy to say don't worry just hope this can help. Sending my best wishes to you. Xxxx
    • Posted

As Susan said, try not to worry.

I hope they give you the results soon. Nothing worse than waiting...

• Posted

Thanks ladies smile I am worried due to the size of them but on the plus size they appeared to be all white and regular shaped xx
  • Posted

I have COPD and bronchiectasis. For 20 years I have been telling docs about my rhinitis and have not breathed through my nose for years, until a recent spell in hospital with lots of nebulisers and drugs for pseudomonas/pneumonia cleared a VAST amount of gunge in my sinuses. it was FAB! like a hoover had been in there. This gunge has re-infected my lungs since December last year. I Have been on 8 antibiotics

This week is the best I have felt since xmas. I can breathe through my nose!!!

So, do keep nagging the docs- we know our bodies. I also have heart disease, sleep apneoa, rheumatoid Arthritis, cataracts, dry eyes. It would be cheaper to shoot me! I am 64.Love to all xxxx

• Posted

Thank you Annemarie glad to hear you are finally on the mend. They are investingating me for Wegeners disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.