Skip to content

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

Also known as Alpha 1-antitrypsin Deficiency, Bronchitis - Chronic, COPD, Emphysema, Inhalers for COPD, Smoker's Cough

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

Tips + Know the difference

If you wish to check further about the different lung conditions to gain a greater understandanding do check out Patient UK pages, just type the condition in the search box top right. Below are three patient UK page links, Asthma, Bronchiectasis and COPD.  Sometimes people group all lung condition...

Last reply
  • Trouble with symbicort

I have been checked 3 times for diabetes. Test was negative. No high blood pressure. Eyes fine. The ophthalmologist was going to send me to a neurologist- opthamologist. But i found out my problem was a side effect with symbicort. Serve blurred vision. What else can be used.  So l can see.

Last reply
  • Copd

my husband has very severe copd and was in hospital 4 weeks ago with an exacerbation. Since coming home he is unable to do much because of chest tightness. There is no infection.  Is this progression?  Also he had open spots on his legs that don't seem to heal. Has anyone else experienced...

Last reply
  • Clean

Hi everyone, I pray you are all doing the best you can be. I came to this site one month ago looking for information about emphysema. I found a lot of heart as well as people that were willing to share their stories. I was diagnosed with spots of emphysema on the top portions of my lungs. It was discovered...

Last reply
  • Started w/iron deficient anemia

Since '06 I received blood transfusions for the low hemoglobin.i could breath better& had energy.cause was not diagnosed ! One time I developed pneumonia & was diagnosed wth cops. I was given puffers...I'm so SOB & weak.....

Last reply
  • Does this sound like COPD?

I am a 36 yr old female, never smoked in my life but the past few months I had a panic attack when I went to the doctor in July 2017 and had to take deep breaths all day for a few days. I also noticed my blood pressure spiked during this time. As my breathing returned to normal so did my bp although...

Last reply
  • Severe copd

Hi I'm 52 and have severe copd both my lungs are affected and am on regular medication from my consultant I've had this for 5 years now and have lost my father uncle and both grand parents to this disease any help advise or reassurance would be appreciated this gets me down as I am unable to...

Last reply
  • Newly Diagnosed COPD: Medication Problems & Other Concerns

First of all, thank you to all the forum participants for honest questions/answers. As a newly-diagnosed person w/COPD, it is very helpful. I would appreciate any guidance/suggestions/advice for the questions below: (sorry to be so long-winded, but this saga has been hell so far): 1) After 7 years...

Last reply
  • A new year, and I want to do better

I've been on oxygen 24/7 for a little over two years and I'm still waking up and having to adjust each morning to the fact that I'm sick. Sometime it takes hours to get out of my depressive funk. I don't want the rest of my life to be like this, but I don't know what I can do besides...

Last reply
  • COPD's companion effects

I haven't written for some time but would like to add a few points to previous posts in case they can assist others in a similar age group. In effect, little has changed in respect of breathing efficiency. And I remain free of aids for the condition. ​At 76 it is not practical to expect outstanding...

Last reply
  • Hi everyone

Has anyone else tried CBD oil to help with COPD  It’s only been a few days using CBD oil but I have found a difference it is helping me  Please let me know if anyone as tried this and did it help thank you 

Last reply
  • I don't know what form I'd copd I have.

I was diagnosed with copd. I suspect emphysema but don't know how to get this checked or if the symptoms are different. Does anyone know? I asked the practice nurse and she looked blank then said copd is copd.

Last reply
  • COPD

was in hosp for penumonia & copd 4puffers daily that hurt my lungs. to get up to do ANYTHING - im gasping for air & am very weak. doc is not offering anything else.

Last reply
  • Steroid side effects

Hi, I'm taking prednisolone for a chest infection. I think they are helping with my breathing but I'm feeling a bit shaky and nauseous. Has anyone else experienced this. Don't want to stop taking them if they are helping.

Last reply
  • Rookie seeks knowledge

I'm new here and I have COPD. I will not yet discuss my case, but shall be reading and hopefully learning from this forums members. I'm most curious to learn about increasing my oxygen levels without receiving oxygen. Also weight control/loss is a concern as exercise is not an option for me. ...

Last reply
  • New Guy

I was recently diagnosed with bilateral apical emphysema. Doctors found it during a CT scan for my head and neck. I am 57 years old with very little symptoms. I smoked for approximately 40 years. I quit figs for vaping as soon as the doctor told me. Not sure if vaping was the right choice and working...

Last reply
  • Pot or Not

Indica Cannabis has a very strong muscle relaxant as do other plants like Lavender. Make CannaButter with Cocanut oil, mix in mint put into ice cube try and watch your stats go up. (I hope this site is honest enough to allow all of you to see and read the above)

Last reply
  • New here, also, apparent mild emphysema

Hi, I smoked for many years; quit a lot, but still leaves 25. I am 57 and was diagnosed with mild emphysema last month. It was not a shock, but I am still in part denial and going day to day. I have been doing some walking (however, I live in a hot climate most of the year). I find that the main...

Last reply
  • I'm new on this discussion

Hello Everyone, I'm hoping to get some thought's on this Low dose cancer screen I had, The report say's as follow's #1.There is Hyperaetion cosistent with COPD... #2.There are Emphysematous changes throughout the lung fields... #3.There are bronchiectatic throughout the lung fields......

Last reply
  • Does this sound like COPD?

I posted this on another forum  as well. Sorry it’s a bit long... I'm 34 years' old and new to this forum (although I have been on here before, a few years back). At the tail end of last year, I caught a pretty bad cold that gave me a dry tickly cough that eventually began to subside. However,...

Last reply
  • Oxygen or not

So when I’m sitting down doing nothing my 02 sits around 93 but if I get up and wash a dish or do anything it drops down into the 80’s. QUESTION, do I simply keep oxigen going or ????

Last reply
  • eucalyptus

Has anyone tried eucalyptus supplements? Saw a couple studies which indicate they help.

Last reply
  • Emphysema at 30. could it be wrong?

Hi all, I had a neck ct scan for another reason which picked up the beginning of my lungs. And the doc said i have emphysema. I also had a digital xray which was completely normal. My breathing tests completely normal. I have no symptom whatsoever. I run daily, i feel fine. Could anything else resemble...

Last reply
  • Spiriva information and questions

I realise others may already know the following, but am sending it for those who don't or those who, like me, thought they checked all medication before taking it ... but has just found out she didn't. The Handi-Halers MUST be replaced about every 12 months:  this info is on the manufacturers'...

Last reply
  • Have I really got COPD?

I find it hard to accept that I supposedly have COPD as I have never smoked in my life.  I had my first asthma attack when I was 7, I'm 74 now, I have only had a few attacks in my lifetime.  My asthma has been under control with a preventer puffer for all of my adult life.  I noticed...

Last reply
  • Difference between NIV home systems

I'm trying to do some of my own research around the difference between different home NIV systems. Would love to get some of your thoughts around Optiflow and the other F&P systems, versus the Resmed VPAP system, or the respironics AVAPS system. Do any of you have experience with these? It seems...

Last reply
  • Confusing COPD diagnosis after a fall

I fainted getting out of bed about three months ago (don't remember getting out of bed but do remember seeing strange things - a swarm of bees in the corner of the room) sometime before. I was in absolute agony as I'd fallen like a plank and bounced off the wardrobes, rather than collapsing in...

Last reply
  • Has my dad got to the final stages of copd?

My dad has had COPD for the last 10yrs but the last six month his health has really deteriorated. He sleeps constantly, hardly eats and his feet are constantly swollen as well as the breathlessness he now can't dress himself or do day to day things like making himself a drink or going to the toilet...

Last reply
  • New to COPD - Do I need Meds

I'm almost 63... Heavy smoker for 40 years. I did my annual physical a couple weeks ago and was asked to come back to discuss my chest x-ray. Doc said I have COPD. He had me blow into a handheld device and said I did pretty good on that.... I've been fast walking two miles a day five days a...

Last reply
  • Mom, Lung Cancer and COPD

My mother 70 has COPD, she was diagnosed years ago.  Last October 2016 she was also diagnosed with Lung Cancer, In December we found out it had spread to lymph nodes.  She was not eligible for any treatment.  The Oncologist estimated 6 Months.  In July she was in hospital and they...

Last reply
  • Got copd stage 2

Went to see more than 8 doctors 3 hospitals In10 years said nothing wrong and then went private London bridge hospital in one week they found had copd the rest should go back to school anyway they put me on a great program iam stage 2 it was well worth the money with you all the best x dont smoke chew...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.