Skip to content

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

Also known as Alpha 1-antitrypsin Deficiency, Bronchitis - Chronic, COPD, Emphysema, Inhalers for COPD, Smoker's Cough

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

Tips + Know the difference

If you wish to check further about the different lung conditions to gain a greater understandanding do check out Patient UK pages, just type the condition in the search box top right. Below are three patient UK page links, Asthma, Bronchiectasis and COPD.  Sometimes people group all lung condition...

Last reply
  • May have COPD

I'm a 57 year old I may have COPD been on antibiotics for a chest infection I have been losing weight and having back pain back pain has been there a long time I was quite active.  I had lung function test after I finished antibiotics it was better I have a dry mouth, cough got to have a chest...

Last reply
  • COPD

My sons been bleeding out his nose and his mouth he has COPD and emphysema his heart rate is 154 for blood pressure has been 142/103 is the COPD is causing the bleeding or is it something in his stomach or his liver he drinks alcohol is that a factor. I need you’re advice!

Last reply
  • Hi all just joined the group

ive had copd for a while now last excaibation was 3 years ago then from January I've had 3 so fed up now got really bad pain under my ribs like something stuck doc says its with coughing but I haven't really been coughing any body else had same symptoms in ribs I think it's something else...

Last reply
  • Rec’d My Test Results Yest AM ...

And I was told Inhabe moderate COPD.  I addition to rescue inhaler he ordered me Serevent x 2 daily. I should continue my nebulizer treatment as needed. I’ve had two more episodes of sharp, jabbing pain since Sat.  One yesterday am and an episode afternoon, both below right breast.  One...

Last reply
  • Do you think i can manage at home?

Hello.i have lurked for a while.You seem like a  very nice bunch,but I need you to be brutally honest. I have emphysema with 30%lung capacity after latest chest infection at christmas.i'm recuperating in a nursing home and medics + social services are talking about me going home.I don't...

Last reply
  • I want to get fitter.

I am 78 years old female, and feel like I am letting everything slide. My breathing is not very good, and I would like to do something positive about it. Looked up this C25K info, and it seems anyone who can walk, can work up to doing some running. Wondered if anyone has experience in this area.  

Last reply
  • COPD and anti smoking campaign

For years now the government have focused on Cancer as the outcome of smoking. Do you guys living with COPD or with a loved one with COPD feel it should be talked about more, particularly in anti smoking campaigns?  My Granny cant walk more than two steps without being out of breath, she stays...

Last reply
  • Sharp pains in chest

Had about 7-8 within few mins after a shouting match with my male brittany (lol).  Too much exertion on the lung maybe.  Has not happened again and it’s been about 3 hrs.

Last reply
  • Thoughts please???

Hi, i really hope you dont mind me posting here but i would love to hear your opinions. Im 31 years old, female. Ex smoker of 15 years quit 18 months ago. Over the last 5 years or so i developed shortness of breath, wheezing, loud stridor and started coughing up phlegm every morning. I quit smoking 18...

Last reply
  • I...

in January I went on vacation approx 10 Days to Vail CO w/son, DIL and gkids.  I was familiar w/altitude probs but the pain in my right chest seriously brought me to my knees, it hurt so bad to breathe.  On way back pain in right chest area so severe !  Saw Dr and he thought it may have...

Last reply
  • COPD outcomes and help

My Granny has had COPD for sometime but a recent infection has made her be admitted to hospital for several weeks. she is now out at home and for the first time needs oxygen at home.  does anyone have any experience they want to share

Last reply
  • Fobumix v symbicort inhaler

Any on the forum been changed from Symbicort to Fobumix.  My husband age 72 with asthma/fixed airway obstruction has recently been changed and thinks that it may be not working as well as he is having to take his blue reliever more often.  Cannot see doctor until Tuesday. Am posting this on...

Posted
  • Night sweats that are new

I'm on O2 level 3 or 4.  I'm in a flare up now and the last few night I've woke up sweating on the front of my body.  Very new to me.  Anyone know what this is all about?  

Last reply
  • eucalyptus

Has anyone tried eucalyptus supplements? Saw a couple studies which indicate they help.

Last reply
  • How good are oxygen generators?.

My blood oxygen levels can spend half the night at 85% and I feel bad brain fog and dizzyness. The NHS are very rel;reluctant to help so I am having to do things myself. So I bought one of these Oxygen compressors/ generators that remove nitrogen from the air and claim to deliver 90% pure oxygen via...

Last reply
  • Uncomfortable aches.

I was diagnosed with COPD 4 weeks ago today and have been on Spiriva since then. Still sob on climbing stairs. Main concern is ache in middle of back between shoulder blades, like a burning. Also ribs on either side feel sore and I feel bloated. Have not got infection symptoms or cough. Has anyone else...

Posted
  • mucus

i developed a non productive cough and had great difficulty bringing up excess mucus. i have been on 7% saline via nebulizer which no longer helped. i am now on 250mg azithromycin which has helped greatly. z-pak. dr prescribed 10 refills. my question is how long can i safely continue to use it

Last reply
  • Salbutamol inhaler

Hello In 2015 my husband now aged 73 was taken in hospital twice with breathing problems.  He had smoked all his life giving up around 10 years ago so 8 years at the time of being in hospital.  He was sent home after the 2nd time with symbicort inhalers 2 puffs twice a day Spiriva once a day...

Last reply
  • A question about emphysema symptoms

Hi, A few months ago and out of the blue, I suddenly found myself having to take frequent deep breaths to satisfy my breathing - like you would do if you hyperventilated but only every minute or so.  My job is quite physically demanding (network technician) and I do a lot of walking, crawling,...

Last reply
  • ABG Test

How soon will I know if I need oxygen have test this Friday 9/3/18 thank you

Last reply
  • Aerosure medic

I have just got myself Aurosure medic has anybody got one & has your breathing improved with use 

Last reply
  • Copd

my husband has very severe copd and was in hospital 4 weeks ago with an exacerbation. Since coming home he is unable to do much because of chest tightness. There is no infection.  Is this progression?  Also he had open spots on his legs that don't seem to heal. Has anyone else experienced...

Last reply
  • Severe copd

Hi I'm 52 and have severe copd both my lungs are affected and am on regular medication from my consultant I've had this for 5 years now and have lost my father uncle and both grand parents to this disease any help advise or reassurance would be appreciated this gets me down as I am unable to...

Last reply
  • Probably COPD

Probably COPD What does Probably COPD mean? I cannot help but wonder how many people have died or had to undergo more extensive treatment for things like lung cancer because of this diagnosis on a Lung x-ray.  Or Probably anything else. I would like to hear from anyone who has received this...

Last reply
  • advice on COPD please.

Hello. My Sister who is 70 has been In hospital for over a week with COPD, has had for a while, Can’t even get out of bed for toilet, she Is on steroids for a blockage to Aroata  and also morphine for COPD, has been advised willl need oxygen when sent home. Can I. Please ask why is she having morphine...

Last reply
  • COPD diagnosis today 😢

I am so anxious and scared. Am 51 and had spirometer test today as short of breath whilst walking. Have COPD, Dr did not tell me level. X ray clear. Smoked cigarettes for nearly 30 Years and gave up 4 years ago and switched to e cigarette. Dr told me today to give up e cig or would be on oxygen tank...

Last reply
  • My father has COPD and Bacterial Pneumonia.

Hello everyone. I am new to this site, but I can't think of anywhere else to talk about this. My father is almost 50, has COPD, and he can't even walk out to our porch, which is a couple feet away from him. He gets into horrible coughing fits, says he can't breathe, and has panic attacks...

Last reply
  • Oxygen Stats

Hi all, just wondering what oxygen Stats are normal for moderate and mild COPD. Have googled but all different answers on different websites and wondered what your readings are, have bought an oximeter and would like to keep check, thank you.

Last reply
  • COPD- life expectancy

I was diagnosed COPD/emphysema 1991. I was given 5 years. Obviously didnt happen. I have been around for 88 years. I was a 2 pack a day smoker about 40 years. I havent smoked since 1983. I am on 24/7 oxygen 3 lpm. I have been in several drug studies. Aside from Spiriva, I was in the FORTE study ( retinoic...

Last reply
  • Spiriva Inhaler

Hi, I was diagnosed with COPD on Monday and prescribed Spiriva Inhaler. This morning when inhaling capsule I felt nothing was coming out so tried another one. Has anyone had this happen as now worried I might have double dosed?? Also I get waking headaches and more clearing of throat after taking inhaler,...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.