Skip to content
Ad

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

Also known as Alpha 1-antitrypsin Deficiency, Bronchitis - Chronic, COPD, Emphysema, Inhalers for COPD, Smoker's Cough

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

• Afib

I had an ablation March 29 2017. Second one in 8 years. I am over weight and an anxious person. Since my ablation, I have only been in afib once and that was the first few weeks after and had been started on Amiorderone. Now on 100 mg daily. My heart rate is anywhere from 48-60. I started having a rapid...

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

Tips + Know the difference

If you wish to check further about the different lung conditions to gain a greater understandanding do check out Patient UK pages, just type the condition in the search box top right. Below are three patient UK page links, Asthma, Bronchiectasis and COPD.  Sometimes people group all lung condition...

Last reply
  • Afib

I had an ablation March 29 2017. Second one in 8 years. I am over weight and an anxious person. Since my ablation, I have only been in afib once and that was the first few weeks after and had been started on Amiorderone. Now on 100 mg daily. My heart rate is anywhere from 48-60. I started having a rapid...

Posted
  • HAS ANYONE TRYED THIS TO HELP WITH COPD

I have just read in the newspaper about a device that is meant to help shortness of breathing called Areosure by increasing the flow of air in and out of the airways which helps leads to respiratory fitness and helps you to breath easy.  It seems to have really good write ups but is pretty expensive...

Last reply
  • lungs open or not

My COPD checkup today the nurse said have you used your inhaler i said no don't need to. Then she says they need to know when i use it if it helps because that will tell them if my air ways are soft or gone hard, does anyone know if this is true or they are just trying to get me to try it ?

Last reply
  • Bipap trouble

Hey, I'm at my wit's end with my dad. He's been in the Hospital for a few months, and he's being released. The first time he ever used a bipap was a few months ago, in hospital (he took it off- and was intubated. luckily also extubated after a few days, now it's bipap every night)....

Last reply
  • Chronic coughing, happens a lot after eating

In the morning, usually after I eat, my nose often gets runny and the snots tend to flow down my throat and it makes me cough. Sometimes my cough is so "hard" (not sure what word to use) to the point I'm about to throw up. Also, usually after eating, whether its lunch, dinner, breakfast,...

Last reply
  • Can I claim disability allowance ?

I have stage 3 copd and having problems with chest infections , I also have 2 slipped discs and suffer with depression , I'm finding my job really difficult .. my bosses are getting fed up with me being off with chest infections and struggling with my back , I'm meant to work continuously standing...

Last reply
  • Been ill since April

Back in April i had a very bad chest infection / pneumonia thought i was eventually picking up beginning July then went down hill again can only walk short distances out of breath everything i do had a blood test and thyroid is underactive but doctor wont do anything yet as he s referred me to a cardiologist...

Last reply
  • bad chest for 5 weeks

i started on easter sunday with a chest infection was prescribed antibiotics and steroids returned to hospital 5 days later due to getting worse was diagnosed with pneumonia prescribed different antibiotics was very ill at home in bed for over a week returned to doctors not getting any better after 4...

Last reply
  • Scarring on the lung

Hey Everyone  My Dad has COPD,arthritis and twist in his spine. He doesn’t ask doctor what things mean typical man anyway he has a pain in his leg that the doctor said was coming from his back so I think that could be sciatica?  The doc did keep asking if it had reached his foot and seemed...

Last reply
  • COPD and high protein levels in blood

Hello, ​My brother-in-law has COPD and recently his levels were really low and he was carrying quite a bit of water.  He went into hospital and they drained the water and done a lot of checks i.e. scans and discharged him, that was two months ago.  The same thing has happened again but this...

Last reply
  • confused with messaging

I apologise to Amanda and Darlene. I sent messages without looking at proper names. Oh, well, more information to all to share.  My computer skills are lacking.  

Last reply
  • Im 46 and have copd and asthma

Hi I'm 46 and have had asthma all my life I  never smoke and back in 2014 I was told I have only 49% use of my lungs  and the dr said it was copd  I have oxygn that I use at night and I have oxygn I can use threw out the day if I need it  and I'm doing good so far I try not...

Last reply
  • chest x rays

Hi just wondering about chest x rays , a few years ago my chest  x ray  results showed widespread chronic inflammatory lung disease, and another result i had a year or so before showed  back round changes of copd yet now my gp doesn't  think i have copd anymore would be delighted...

Last reply
  • Newly diagnosed with COPD

Diagnosed with COPD last week, I'm 61 years old and haven't smoked for over 22 years. I retired early after 42 years of working, due to unrelated health problems One of my biggest problems now is my weight at 23 1/2 stone, not due to overeating but lack of exercise,and Waiting to go in to hospital...

Last reply
  • Copd and pneumonia in elderly

My 89 year old nan has copd enphsemia and now developed pneumonia sepsis  after 6 days she looks a lot better but her bloods are only coming down slow after lots of Iv and oral antibiotics physically she looks  better but medically they say she's stable not out of the woods yet confused...

Last reply
  • A change of inhaler

Six days ago I was advised to change one of my inhalers from Spiriva to Seebri by Virgin Medical who attended my surgery. I was given a 28 days supply. After 5 days on a walk of one and a half miles to the town centre I found I had to stop three times as I was breathlessn normally I can walk into town...

Last reply
  • Pulmonary Edema procedure from Dr. Deepak Talwar

Hi, i was suffering from Pulmonary Edema a year back, i got the procedure done from Dr. Deepak Talwar, senior pulmonologist, Metro Hospital. I feel fine as of now but are there any long term side effects which can resurface later?

Last reply
  • Copd or post nasal drip

Been diagnosed with copd but wondering if post nasal drip and polyps would give a bad score as post nasal drip gives a reverseable obstruction? 

Last reply
  • I was diagnosed with END STAGE COPD am depressed.

I was diagnosed 5 1/2 years ago with Stage 3 copd which as we all here probably know is moderate to severe.  I listed in my Title that I was diagnosed with end stage copd.  The reason I say that is because when diagnosed I had 30% lung function and based on my symptoms I know that I have progressed...

Last reply
  • Diet

Hi just a quick question, what's the best thing i can get to put weight on please ? I have emphysema and acid reflux and because the acid sets my throat off i stopped eating most foods to stop it over 12 months ago, but lost loads of weight and diet is poor even on my records at the doctors...

Last reply
  • copd and anxiety

i am a 77 year old male with very bad copd. recently suffered an exacibation and was sent to my local hospital for a ct scan. the dioctor who read the scan  didnot give me very much information except to say he thought i had a chest infection. and gave me a course of antibiotics and some patches...

Last reply
  • Toronto Canada run / support groups

Hi wondering if there is anyone on the forum who is from Toronto Ontario Canada?  Are there any meetup groups or run clubs for COPD?  Would be encouraging for me and hopefully others to meet others who are also afflicted and give each other support in person.

Last reply
  • Anyone seen this in the papers

Relief for victims of lung disease is found in a ketchup bottle: Tiny valve similar to easy-squeeze bottle top cuts off deformed areas of the lungs Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the...

Last reply
  • Copd

Hi got told about 7 years ago had mild emphysema then about 4 years ago had a mir scan on legs got told i had peripheral disease in my left leg was told i would need a bypass on it but i had a high risk of losing it.so i have left it not been smoking now for a while.my leg gets really painful especially...

Last reply
  • Moderate (stage 2) COPD

Hi, I'm sure this may have been asked before in many different ways.  I am a 45 male former smoker.  I've had a spirometry test and the lab test results state that they've detected COPD.  I'm in generally good shape could lose 15 pounds to get to my ideal weight but only...

Last reply
  • My Dad COPD and CO2 retention

Hi This is the first time I've done this, I'm hoping to find someone who understands what's happeneing to my father, He has COPD I think he is in the final stages, he has been on oxygen for about 18 months, and he keeps having episodes of CO2 retention, the last one was yesterday, he went...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.