Skip to content

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

Also known as Alpha 1-antitrypsin Deficiency, Bronchitis - Chronic, COPD, Emphysema, Inhalers for COPD, Smoker's Cough

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

Tips + Know the difference

If you wish to check further about the different lung conditions to gain a greater understandanding do check out Patient UK pages, just type the condition in the search box top right. Below are three patient UK page links, Asthma, Bronchiectasis and COPD.  Sometimes people group all lung condition...

Last reply
  • My mum has just been diagnosed with COPD.

Hello My mum who is 67 has just been diagnosed with COPD. She has smoked since her teens and never stopped. For the past 5 years she's had so many chest infections and now she is breathless all the time and wheezes. She gets breathless just talking. She said she will quit smoking but she hasn't...

Last reply
  • Copd and travelling in hot weather

Hello my husband was diagnosed with asthma/fixed airway obstruction (which I assume is copd) in 2015.  He has not had to take any emergency medication since then until March of this year when he had his first flare up during freezing weather with snow on the ground.  since then he has had another...

Last reply
  • COPD+Diazepam

I have been diagnosed with this debilitating disease and though the medical council would most likely be horrified to learn that i have been taking high doses of Diazepam 30/40mg. With this amount of this drug in my system i found for the first time in a long while that i could Run as i had need after...

Last reply
  • transplant

Hן  I wonder if you have any knowledge about lunges transplant I have heard about a hospital in Virginia   Any knowledge? Tnx Nili Tal, Israel

Last reply
  • Chest and back pain.

hello all!  I need some help.  I’ve been taking Spivera inhaler for several years and have been given Breo Ellipta about 8 months ago.   Everything was fine until November 2 when I started getting bazaar back pain in the center of chest.  Ended up in the hospital with cardio tests...

Last reply
  • Pulmonx-Zephyr Endobronchial Valve

Have been doing some reading and discovered this treatment is approved in 20 countries.  Not yet in US or Canada or Mexico.  Does anyone have any info or been part of the test group?   

Last reply
  • COPD and benefits

Hi everyone. I am looking for some advice. I am awaiting a diagnosis and wondered if anyone could tell me about any possible benefits I could receive. I have worked all my life but now I may not be able to continue due to my health

Last reply
  • use of oxygen

Hi, Have read where oxygen is really not to help the lungs so much as to help the heart. It works so hard pumping and the oxygen is supposed to help. Have been using oxygen for a week, mainly at night when I sleep (it dries out my sinus and eyes so badly, even with eye drops and saline for nose....)...

Last reply
  • Muggy weather

Hi Everyone, Silly question really but has anyone else in England suffered from this heavy humid weather with the air full of floating white stuff?  I can hardly move sometimes recently so I've just started taking my steroids.  I suppose I just need re-assurance and hope that my COPD is...

Last reply
  • New here, also, apparent mild emphysema

Hi, I smoked for many years; quit a lot, but still leaves 25. I am 57 and was diagnosed with mild emphysema last month. It was not a shock, but I am still in part denial and going day to day. I have been doing some walking (however, I live in a hot climate most of the year). I find that the main...

Last reply
  • Steroids

Stopped taking steroids last week after being on them for most of this year through having flare ups one after the other doc wanted to see me when I was having flare up couldn't get to see him saw another doc who said I have a virus felt so breathless had to leave work ,I think it's with coming...

Last reply
  • I took my first dose of Spiriva Respimat today and feel terrible.

I took my first dose at 10am today and since then i have felt awful. My breathing feels worse, I have a headache feel shaky and now im very scared. I have taken more of my Tranquillers today than ever before. I have just phoned my doctors pharmacy and told her about this and she said to take the blue...

Last reply
  • Hi everyone

Has anyone else tried CBD oil to help with COPD  It’s only been a few days using CBD oil but I have found a difference it is helping me  Please let me know if anyone as tried this and did it help thank you 

Last reply
  • Trouble breathing while sitting

This is my first post. I have stage 3 emphysema. Something new is happening. While sitting, if I put my hands down by my hips and push up to raise my shoulders I breath much easier. It is exhausting. Has anyone else experienced this.

Last reply
  • A little insight?

Hello, I just joined. My mother who is 57 and has always been in good health got sick 2 weeks ago. She was in the hospital for 2 days. They said she probably has COPD with an infection. She is now home. They gave her breathing treatments, but she seems just as bad. Its been 4 days. I am worried, because...

Last reply
  • COPD

My sons been bleeding out his nose and his mouth he has COPD and emphysema his heart rate is 154 for blood pressure has been 142/103 is the COPD is causing the bleeding or is it something in his stomach or his liver he drinks alcohol is that a factor. I need you’re advice!

Last reply
  • In a panic

Hello all, I have had a hacking cough for approx 2 years but didn't really think abything of it. I quit smoking about 7.5 years ago. Around Aug/Sep time last year I started waking up with upper back pain and was coughing and wheezy all the time. After a few weeks of this I decided to go to the...

Last reply
  • Flu symptoms

Hello all I joined this group a few weeks ago but this is my first time posting a question in here. Iv been diagnosed with copd I’m 51, it’s been explaine there’s 3 levels and I’m level 2. Yesterday I started sneezing non stop Iv had a headache for a few days.  I have a cpap machine I’m trialing...

Last reply
  • level 2

I have been told I am at level 2 with COPD, what am I to expect, I have inhaler Anoro ellipta

Last reply
  • feeling worried and confused

ok so ill start at the begining about 7 years ago my father passed away from copd so its been on my radar since then. i have been battling on and off since to quit smoking but managed to kick it properly now but thats when the breathing issues started so alarm bells rang and i booked an appointment it...

Last reply
  • advice aboutCOPD

After having bronchitis for 3 months I was diagnosed with COPD, with medication the infection cleared, now I have a very dry cough, does this mean the COPD is on the mend?

Last reply
  • COPD and anti smoking campaign

For years now the government have focused on Cancer as the outcome of smoking. Do you guys living with COPD or with a loved one with COPD feel it should be talked about more, particularly in anti smoking campaigns?  My Granny cant walk more than two steps without being out of breath, she stays...

Last reply
  • May have COPD

I'm a 57 year old I may have COPD been on antibiotics for a chest infection I have been losing weight and having back pain back pain has been there a long time I was quite active.  I had lung function test after I finished antibiotics it was better I have a dry mouth, cough got to have a chest...

Last reply
  • Hi all just joined the group

ive had copd for a while now last excaibation was 3 years ago then from January I've had 3 so fed up now got really bad pain under my ribs like something stuck doc says its with coughing but I haven't really been coughing any body else had same symptoms in ribs I think it's something else...

Last reply
  • Rec’d My Test Results Yest AM ...

And I was told Inhabe moderate COPD.  I addition to rescue inhaler he ordered me Serevent x 2 daily. I should continue my nebulizer treatment as needed. I’ve had two more episodes of sharp, jabbing pain since Sat.  One yesterday am and an episode afternoon, both below right breast.  One...

Last reply
  • Do you think i can manage at home?

Hello.i have lurked for a while.You seem like a  very nice bunch,but I need you to be brutally honest. I have emphysema with 30%lung capacity after latest chest infection at christmas.i'm recuperating in a nursing home and medics + social services are talking about me going home.I don't...

Last reply
  • I want to get fitter.

I am 78 years old female, and feel like I am letting everything slide. My breathing is not very good, and I would like to do something positive about it. Looked up this C25K info, and it seems anyone who can walk, can work up to doing some running. Wondered if anyone has experience in this area.  

Last reply
  • Sharp pains in chest

Had about 7-8 within few mins after a shouting match with my male brittany (lol).  Too much exertion on the lung maybe.  Has not happened again and it’s been about 3 hrs.

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.